American Horror Story: Freak Show - Send in the Clowns!

Sci-2

Thank God it's back, after a three week seasonal absence - four, if you count the fact that the last episode, Orphans, was a weird stopgap that did nothing to further the overall story arc. So JImmy, after all, has two less things with which to entertain the ladies. This week's was an excellent episode. The new character, played by the Dougie Howser guy, is terrific, and that serial killer guy is back in full effect as well. Some excellent Bette and Dot scenes, but I'm not holding too much hope for either surviving to the end.

I caught up on the last 4 episodes and I actually really liked the last one, with the Asylum connection. I thought that was much better handled than what I expected when I heard they would connect the two seasons.

Reminded me a bit of the s2 finale, which I thought was excellent (MUCH better than the rest of the season)

Kind of excited to see the final episodes now.

I never watched Asylum so I'm glad you pointed this out.

The tie in being Pepper at the convent?

This weeks episode reached an all new level of wtf.

Dandy riding the carousel in his glamorous fur coat was exquisite. I enjoyed his mind fucking of the puppet guy.

How Elsa could sign over her preciousssssss to him is s little odd.

Okay. This penultimate episode was really, really good. It made me remember why I liked AHS in the first place. It had it all and it was awesome, with great scenes before even better scenes and none of it was dispensable, needless or irrelevant (like most of the season, haha). For those who quit it or not even began it, I'd recommend to give it a try. It's most likely to pay off in seven days time.

Yep. With how the season stalled just before the Christmas period, it was obvious they were swinging all their momentum towards the last three episodes. The filmic references (that film I'm not even gonna mention, but you'll know what one I'm talking about, plus HG Lewis' The Wizard of Gore) were so hokily obvious in this that you could count it as a demerit, except that they've been coming, so there was no point in the writers being coy. This lurid trashfest of an episode was so insanely entertaining that the only thing you could say against it is that it crammed so much into it you wonder how they're going to wrap things up.

OK, I... only see around 90% of the two last episodes because reasons.

So... Dell

died

, right?

They meep'ed the guy with the big dick. D: That was... so odd...

Maggie. I was like... WHAT THE WHAT??!

I like NPH here. NPH and RM are a good combination. I was kinda sad he never returned for Glee :( And, at least this was more awkward than NPH having sex with Jane Lynch in Glee :P I... guess.

Either way, I enjoyed episode.

Perhaps we'll find Stanley's big dick in a jar in the next episode somewhere. It's clearly not attached to his body any longer. Same seems to be the case for his hips and tongue.

Maggie clearly didn't deserve that, but I was waiting for that to happen to somebody as soon as the Dougie Howser guy appeared. I'm expecting some serious freak conversion to take place on Dandy in the finale. The guy with the short arms asking if he'd 'always saw himself in showbusiness' sort of sets that up.

Boy, wasn't that an anticlimax? Easily the weakest AHS finale of the series so far. Not to spolier anyone, but they crammed too much into the first half of it, for one thing, which blunted any possible emotional reaction, and of all the ways that Dandy could have met his comeuppance, following the last episode's carnage, that was completely unconvincing as well as unsatifactory. Too many lazy shortcuts were run through purely to get that element of the plot out the way as soon as possible. The second half of the episode simply ran the clock down towards a Gainax style ending that negated the need for any build-up to it. It wasn't a total disaster, but surely they could have done better with this.

It was a very Ryan Murphy ending. I like it. Some things were a bit odd, but I forgive him because Glee is awesome again.

(I think that's where his head was at the moment of Freak Show, as it was the final season and he's wrapping it all. They even covered Heroes, which Glee already covered before)

I've been checked out of AHS: Freakshow for a few weeks now, as I think Ryan Murphy is. After such a promising first couple seasons, to have degenerated to this is quite sad. I tuned in last night just to see how it got wrapped up. Mostly meh, IMO.

I was thinking about what other concepts could be fodder for another season of AHS, and all I could come up with were rehashes of the well-worn vampire storyline. Maybe if they played it in the vein of Anne Rice it could leave room for a season's worth of episodes.

Anybody else got any ideas?

Anybody else got any ideas?

A religious cult in Mid-America, kinda like "Martha Marcy May Marlene" (not so much as the Mason Family), is the best approach to the horror genre nowadays. Well, that's what I think since everything indicates that the 5th season won't be a period piece.

I much rather see a more grounded horror show then what Murphy has given us. He said Freak Show would be realistic without supernatural elements and, well, it is self explanatory - He sadly doesn't know how to develop a good concept. Poor writing is a bitch... I find astounding how Asylum feels more real.

Before the cult I thought about a slasher season, but since we're getting Scream Queens, now I not sure of anything.

As for FS's finale, what a let down! It's so easy in the last episode to resolve everything with some cheap deaths and a "some years later..." with the survivors married with children. I'm from Brazil, in which soap operas are very popular and, not kidding, the resolutions are the same shit as this. Why not advance the plot and the characters simultaneously instead of choosing one of them in each scene?

Some questions. Spoilers ahead, so fair warning:

1. Surely the freaks would have had a gun lying around, or if not they could have overwhelmed a guy by sheer numbers who just had one revolver. It's not as if they haven't had to exert themselves through self preservation before. Dandy killed them far too easily.

2. The opening seemed very lazy after the set-up at the end of the last episode, which promised more. Too many identical deaths blunted emotional response through repetition. And why wasn't Dandy finished off much earlier when they all had the chance, since Jimmy knew that Dandy had set him up, and Dot and Bette surely knew he was a killer?

3. How in God's name was no one at least arrested over the opening massacre?

4. You'd think that after what was done to Stanley that they could have cooked up a worse punishment for someone who was worse than Stanley instead of just drowning Dandy. This just shows a total lack of new interesting ideas.

5. How in God's name were the remainder of the characters wanting revenge on Dandy somehow drafted into his service, and where did Dot and Bette get the drug to spike his wine?

6. What happened to Dandy's henchman, and what happened to Stanley the Meep?

7. Elsa was arguably as bad as Stanley, but she goes to freakshow heaven. WTF?

I haven't expected the show to be realistic, only consistent in terms of its own logic, but honestly this had more flaws in its set-up and holes than a leaky sieve.

Archived