Favorite female character?

Defeatarion

It's hard to pick a favourite because nearly all the female characters are so good. So I'm going to say Arya, because she is so brave, determined, smart, she's  a Stark and now she's a warg too.  Also love Sansa, Brienne, Osha, Val, Olenna, Margaery (better in show), Shireen, Asha and I really like reading Cersei's chapters - she's so twisted. I'd love Cersei and Melissande to meet, even just one scene.

And I must mention Nymeria and poor gentle trusting Lady.

'she should've known Tywin was going to strike back'  again, you're assuming that everyone should be smart as Tyrion or as devious as Cersei.A grown man throwing a child out of buildings is perfectly reasonable to you. that character is indeed strong. but a woman who had the guts to punish her child's killer, is indeed not strong? hmmmm.

Ned did wait. He had waited for a long time if u ever read the book. Again, you're blaming her for her husband's stupidity/honorable intentions.

"What honor does Jaime have? this was a selfish act and turned the tide of the war."  It was actually one of the MOST UNSELFISH acts in ASOIAF. you will risk on not winning the war just to save your own beloved children? but its perfectly reasonable for the great Tywin to act bec. his golden son was captured .Cat's two daughters are captured and you want her to sit around looking pretty? OR better, try to wield axe or start killing? *rolls eyes. Its reasonable for Tywin to do something, but not Cat?????????  :dunno: 

"I have to judge your attention span because you showed it at least twice in your post."  Well i have to question your moral ethics for judging a mother for not being strong bec. she had shown her grief and sadness (like a perfectly human being) and still save innocents. 

"Bran was going to fucking live, her not sleeping,being cold to people is a sign of weaknesses." Now you're blaming her for not seeing the future. So a weakness in a person shows that she's not strong then? Your Top 30 characters must be perfect w/ no weaknesses. :bs: 

"Do you think Rickard Karstark would've killed the boys if Jaime was still in chains?"  So its alright for Rickard to act crazy bec. he didn't get his revenge and not alright for Cat to try and save her daughters. *sigh 
" I had no right to steal Karstark's justice for his boys"  That's true enough. Did Rickard thought that killing the Lannister's boys are wrong? NO. For him, its alright to get his revenge. But not for Cat to save Arya&Sansa bec. they aren't much 'useful/important? Right? *sarcasm.

I just said she apologized for her moment of grief. That moment was her being a bitch, not sleeping, Et Cetera, Et Cetera. I don't know where you got me blaming her for something I pointed out that she herself said. - Again, you're blaming her for being miserable (a bitch in your book) and apologizing for it. What's youre idea of being not a bitch then? Killing people and burning bodies or somethin'? or maybe sitting pretty all day?

"Is that Brienne quote suppose to impress me? Brienne knew shit about Cateyln." So you consider yourself a more reliable source of a character reference than a character in the book. Why, you must have been inside the book too. Now that's just hilarious.

"Screw her honor, she had no honor the moment she put the blade on that special defenseless boy." Of course, Aegon Frey is absolutely defenceless! His clan just murdered and slaughtered Catelyn's entire clan and only living son and Cat had a real nice dagger vs all of the Frey men who had bows&arrows, swords and maces and other shit! *sarcasm 99.9%

screw you and your poor judgement grow up little shit!

I've gave you reasons why I think she isn't as strong as people make her out to be. I will not continue debating with an immature person, who keeps name calling and taking this personal. I could careless if a character is strong, I don't rank my characters on strength. I'm just surprise when people call Catelyn a strong women, because I rarely saw it when reading the books, it doesn't mean I don't like her, I love her character although at time it her POVs can get boring. I never suggested I knew more than Brienne, I just pointed out that Brienne didn't know shit about Catelyn she barely met her not long ago. This will conclude this debate that you couldn't keep civil, I'm not going to argue with some childish person who name calls someone he/she doesn't know.

Have a good life.

Catelyn is possibly the most realistic depiction of a woman GRRM has written in the series. She is not an over-the-top awesome warrior. She is not a cackling witch monster. She is not an emotionless husk. Catelyn is strong because she epitomizes the potential that all women, all people, have while also having very real human traits, or "failings" I guess if you want a negative slant on it (and it's clear you do). Being strong means being susceptible to weakness, otherwise the word strong would be devoid of meaning. Being strong means making decisions and accepting, at least to yourself, that they may have not been the best course of action. Being strong means persevering against all odds and heartaches. Being strong is watching your family die one by one until you have an arrow in the back, have captured a hostage, and continue to fight for your first son's life despite hope blowing out like a candle in a storm. 

No one in the series, save perhaps the daughters that are so like her, are as strong as Catelyn had to be during the war.

I agree she's the most human female POV character GRRM has written as of now, and that is the biggest reason I love her character.

But, her decisions were weak minded throughout the books, letting Jaime go( a promise at sword point ) a selfish reason. Cat did not at one point think of the consequences to come, of the people who died to get Jaime in chains. Tyrion offered the same deal to Robb "Sansa for Jaime" In which Robb refuses, Catelyn disobeyed the word of her King, call it what you must but she was foolish. The Tyrion incident was foolish and weak, but I like her for going through it.

I agree she's the most human female POV character GRRM has written as of now, and that is the biggest reason I love her character.

But, her decisions were weak minded throughout the books, letting Jaime go( a promise at sword point ) a selfish reason. Cat did not at one point think of the consequences to come, of the people who died to get Jaime in chains. Tyrion offered the same deal to Robb "Sansa for Jaime" In which Robb refuses, Catelyn disobeyed the word of her King, call it what you must but she was foolish. The Tyrion incident was foolish and weak, but I like her for going through it.

I suppose you could call her decision to release Jaime weak-minded. You could also call it the only real value of Jaime as a hostage. Jaime sitting in a Riverrun dungeon did jack shit for his campaign. Robb was indecisive from the get-go. He did not know what to do with Jaime, and only realized after Catelyn released him that it's what he should have done all along. He admits that to her later.

Taking Tyrion was neither foolish or weak. From a practical standpoint it makes sense whether he was guilty or not. For one, he could have just as easily tried to take her captive, as she only had one guard and was obviously traveling under suspicious circumstances. If it turns out Tyrion was guilty, a real possibility from where the Starks stood, justice could be handled towards the right party. Since he was not guilty of it, something only he could know, his use as a hostage would help out the Stark cause had it come to war. War like Ned was preparing for, just a few chapters earlier. The fault of the incident mainly lies with Lysa for putting Tyrion on trial. If not for her erratic behavior, the truth might have been easier to obtain, which was Catelyn's goal in the first place. 

It seems you have too narrow a view for what exactly constitutes a "strong" woman. Are you talking only physically? That leaves out every woman except Brienne and possibly Asha. Mentally, if one or two bad decisions rule out all others, no female (or male, for that matter) in the series is "strong." Furthermore, because Arya is so alike her in personality, temperament, and outlook, I think you're also implying that Arya is not a strong person. It begs the question how well you have really read either of their characters. Since you named Arya, who is like Cat, Brienne who is like Sansa, and Dany, specifically, but neither Cat or Sansa, I'd say not well at all.

I suppose you could call her decision to release Jaime weak-minded. You could also call it the only real value of Jaime as a hostage. Jaime sitting in a Riverrun dungeon did jack shit for his campaign. Robb was indecisive from the get-go. He did not know what to do with Jaime, and only realized after Catelyn released him that it's what he should have done all along. He admits that to her later.
Taking Tyrion was neither foolish or weak. From a practical standpoint it makes sense whether he was guilty or not. For one, he could have just as easily tried to take her captive, as she only had one guard and was obviously traveling under suspicious circumstances. If it turns out Tyrion was guilty, a real possibility from where the Starks stood, justice could be handled towards the right party. Since he was not guilty of it, something only he could know, his use as a hostage would help out the Stark cause had it come to war. War like Ned was preparing for, just a few chapters earlier. The fault of the incident mainly lies with Lysa for putting Tyrion on trial. If not for her erratic behavior, the truth might have been easier to obtain, which was Catelyn's goal in the first place. 

It seems you have too narrow a view for what exactly constitutes a "strong" woman. Are you talking only physically? That leaves out every woman except Brienne and possibly Asha. Mentally, if one or two bad decisions rule out all others, no female (or male, for that matter) in the series is "strong." Furthermore, because Arya is so alike her in personality, temperament, and outlook, I think you're also implying that Arya is not a strong person. It begs the question how well you have really read either of their characters. Since you named Arya, who is like Cat, Brienne who is like Sansa, and Dany, specifically, but neither Cat or Sansa, I'd say not well at all.

It kept Jaime off the battlefield, there was a reason why Robb declined the trade proposal. It also might've kept Tywin from doing the Red wedding. Do you think Tywin would give the ok to The Red Wedding if Jaime was still a hostage? Lets not forget that Cat letting Jaime go was Rickard Karstark's meltdown, which put an end to the Karstark alliance.

My problem with the Tyrion situation was that Cat decided she was going to start the war, even with her Daughters and Ned in Lannister territory. Ned wanted the banners, my bet is that shorty he was going to send Sansa and Arya away. Kidnapping Tyrion was what alerted Cersei and put her in defense mode. Tywin wasn't going to let this slide either, as much as he hated Tyrion he was a Lannister.

Ha, did I mention Physical Strength once in my pervious post? No, I believe she makes weak minded decisions in many of her chapters, and that's why I don't see her as "a strong women" like many here like to say. In a way she is a strong women, just not abnormally strong that I would mention her among some of the top candidates like Brienne,Arya,Dany and Sansa.

I thought I had posted in here but I don't see the post anywhere?
Anywho as I've posted many times and will again, Arya is my fave. Cersei is a strong second place.

Other great female characters for me are Osha,Asha, Lady Olena, Missandei, Dany, Ygritte, Arianna and the Sandsnakes and (show) Shae.
The female characters in ASOIAF are vibrant, intrigueing and a pure pleasure to know. Thank you GRRM!

Arya - I love her spirit and passion.  I just hope she has it in her heart to do more than just murder bad guys.

Sansa - She is incredibly resilient and a lot stronger and smarter than she appears.  I think she will go far and help lead the Starks out of oblivion..

Brienne - Chivalrous almost to a fault.  You get the feeling, though, that she actually cares.

Meera - Bran's protector.  Grounded in the face of all the magic around her.  If Bran goes off the deep end, she may be the one to bring him back.

I've gave you reasons why I think she isn't as strong as people make her out to be. I will not continue debating with an immature person, who keeps name calling and taking this personal. I could careless if a character is strong, I don't rank my characters on strength. I'm just surprise when people call Catelyn a strong women, because I rarely saw it when reading the books, it doesn't mean I don't like her, I love her character although at time it her POVs can get boring. I never suggested I knew more than Brienne, I just pointed out that Brienne didn't know shit about Catelyn she barely met her not long ago. This will conclude this debate that you couldn't keep civil, I'm not going to argue with some childish person who name calls someone he/she doesn't know.

Have a good life.

bec your reasons sucked. you don't see her character as strong when most women even in our own world is very much like catelyn, so obviously, that says a lot.

'because I rarely saw it when reading the books' so you do agree she's strong, but keeps holding on to your pride and saying she's not.

You've lost the argument so you're calling me now childish.Your statements about Catelyn not being strong are simply, just lame. You can't justify them. You don't like her character (i won't believe you saying you do) but your stupid statements about her 'not being strong' are bec she's a mother and a noblewoman. Your statements reflects on many women that includes our mothers, bec. if someone says who embodies the good mother in asoiaf, its Catelyn Stark. If you think she's not strong, she must be a weakling to you. So for you, most women like Catelyn are weak.

bottomline: Catelyn Stark is a very strong character/woman in asoiaf and you're absolutely wrong about her. You just can't accept it.

p.s. don't procreate.

bec your reasons sucked. you don't see her character as strong when most women even in our own world is very much like catelyn, so obviously, that says a lot.
'because I rarely saw it when reading the books' so you do agree she's strong, but keeps holding on to your pride and saying she's not.
You've lost the argument so you're calling me now childish.Your statements about Catelyn not being strong are simply, just lame. You can't justify them. You don't like her character (i won't believe you saying you do) but your stupid statements about her 'not being strong' are bec she's a mother and a noblewoman. Your statements reflects on many women that includes our mothers, bec. if someone says who embodies the good mother in asoiaf, its Catelyn Stark. If you think she's not strong, she must be a weakling to you. So for you, most women like Catelyn are weak.
bottomline: Catelyn Stark is a very strong character/woman in asoiaf and you're absolutely wrong about her. You just can't accept it.

p.s. don't procreate.

Ha, yeah you won the argument, by assuming things I didn't say? I never said I knew more than Brienne, I never said I think Jaime is strong because he threw Bran off the building. And you assume I like strong people because I said Cat isn't strong, very insightful of you.Then you make personal attacks like what are you trying to prove? A personal attack doesn't move the argument any further.

If you believe letting Jaime and detaining Tyrion were very strong moves then I don't know what to tell you. I'll let you believe you won the argument, I've heard it makes childish people happy.

I love Catelyn: I find her realistic and sympathetic and don't understand the hatred for her at all. I also love Arianne and Cersei (because she's just so damn entertaining). These three are probably my top three PoVs throughout the books to be honest. 

Arya - I love her spirit and passion.  I just hope she has it in her heart to do more than just murder bad guys.
Sansa - She is incredibly resilient and a lot stronger and smarter than she appears.  I think she will go far and help lead the Starks out of oblivion..
Brienne - Chivalrous almost to a fault.  You get the feeling, though, that she actually cares.
Meera - Bran's protector.  Grounded in the face of all the magic around her.  If Bran goes off the deep end, she may be the one to bring him back.

I like them too, Asha as well

Ha, yeah you won the argument, by assuming things I didn't say? I never said I knew more than Brienne, I never said I think Jaime is strong because he threw Bran off the building. And you assume I like strong people because I said Cat isn't strong, very insightful of you.Then you make personal attacks like what are you trying to prove? A personal attack doesn't move the argument any further.

If you believe letting Jaime and detaining Tyrion were very strong moves then I don't know what to tell you. I'll let you believe you won the argument, I've heard it makes childish people happy.

assuming? didn't you even realized what you said in your previous texts? well i'll remind you then:

"Screw her honor she has no honor when she put a blade in that helpless boy"

it's your poor judgement of people that made other people judge you too. If you really think that she has no honor and it's weak of her to do that, you're probably a perfect person then. You don't even admit you're wrong when you yourself already said that she's brave then calling me childish when you realized that you are indeed wrong, and would never admit it. Just like GRRM, i'm a feminist at heart. Catelyn had made a lot of mistakes, she's not perfect (no one is perfect) but that is not for you to judge her that she's weak and not strong, when compare to a lot of character's mistakes in asoiaf are worse than Catelyn's, for example, when Tyrion let his father's soldiers raped Tysha and then raped her himself, my god, Tyrion is my most favorite character but i am not blind to his foolishness. Brienne is my most fave female character but i'm not blind to what she does: killing people. I won't say that's she's the most naive character, but she is indeed naive. But even though she's naive, she has a good judgement of a person's character. And Catelyn, however she had made foolish decisions, had never been weak . She is strong and a good mother, not as entertaining as Cersei but certainly a lot better than alot of other asoiaf character and for you to say that she has no honor, my god, can't you just admit that you're wrong and swallow your pride? Brienne doesn't know shit? huh, YOU don't know shit about Catelyn!

assuming? didn't you even realized what you said in your previous texts? well i'll remind you then:

"Screw her honor she has no honor when she put a blade in that helpless boy"

it's your poor judgement of people that made other people judge you too. If you really think that she has no honor and it's weak of her to do that, you're probably a perfect person then. You don't even admit you're wrong when you yourself already said that she's brave then calling me childish when you realized that you are indeed wrong, and would never admit it. Just like GRRM, i'm a feminist at heart. Catelyn had made a lot of mistakes, she's not perfect (no one is perfect) but that is not for you to judge her that she's weak and not strong, when compare to a lot of character's mistakes in asoiaf are worse than Catelyn's, for example, when Tyrion let his father's soldiers raped Tysha and then raped her himself, my god, Tyrion is my most favorite character but i am not blind to his foolishness. Brienne is my most fave female character but i'm not blind to what she does: killing people. I won't say that's she's the most naive character, but she is indeed naive. But even though she's naive, she has a good judgement of a person's character. And Catelyn, however she had made foolish decisions, had never been weak . She is strong and a good mother, not as entertaining as Cersei but certainly a lot better than alot of other asoiaf character and for you to say that she has no honor, my god, can't you just admit that you're wrong and swallow your pride? Brienne doesn't know shit? huh, YOU don't know shit about Catelyn!

Aye, I admit it was wrong of me to call her completely weak instead of calling her decisions weak minded. She killed a defenseless boy after talking about honor, do you think she even deserves to talk about honor after that, or after her longing caused her to release Jaime without Robb the king's command? I felt that quote(the honor one) was totally biased and untrue, unless she was trying to flaunt her honor. Look I understand the situation, she could've said anything and I wouldn't judge her. You're trying to prove a point to me quoting that Honor quote, and I'm just saying it's flawed.

Well you tried to insult me which was not necessary. It was childish to try to insult me and it did nothing for the argument. Offending me is not going to change my mind on a character I read.
With that said, I don't think your opinions on the topic are childish.

Well, in away I know more than Brienne if you keep insisting. I read Cateyln, I read her treatment of Jon, I read her Tyrion arrest. I doubt Brienne knows though things, and if she does she didn't read her thought like I did. Look all I was saying was that Brienne barely knew Cat, that's all.

Aye, I admit it was wrong of me to call her completely weak instead of calling her decisions weak minded. She killed a defenseless boy after talking about honor, do you think she even deserves to talk about honor after that, or after her longing caused her to release Jaime without Robb the king's command? I felt that quote(the honor one) was totally biased and untrue, unless she was trying to flaunt her honor. Look I understand the situation, she could've said anything and I wouldn't judge her. You're trying to prove a point to me quoting that Honor quote, and I'm just saying it's flawed.

Well you tried to insult me which was not necessary. It was childish to try to insult me and it did nothing for the argument. Offending me is not going to change my mind on a character I read.
With that said, I don't think your opinions on the topic are childish.

Well, in away I know more than Brienne if you keep insisting. I read Cateyln, I read her treatment of Jon, I read her Tyrion arrest. I doubt Brienne knows though things, and if she does she didn't read her thought like I did. Look all I was saying was that Brienne barely knew Cat, that's all.

killed a defenseless boy after talking about honor um, you seem to forget that her son died right before her eyes with all her remaining kin and allies in the name of the man she had saved (jaimie). killing Aegon frey just proved that Catelyn Stark is not just a strong demure lady but also a fighter to the last minute. A real Stark not in blood but in name. She did not tear her hair out but fought with all her remaining breath and admirable defiance, even though she's technically helpless. And her last lines just proved how brave and strong she is. If your only child will die in front of you and you know that you yourself has no chance to save him, won't you still try? (even tho how small it is, a small chance is still a chance right?) You won't? well that's just so sad...

Well you tried to insult me which was not necessary. I did not insult you i stated a fact. You judged Catelyn in an unfairly way and well..i'm a shrink but i try not to judge you unfairly too but your stupid statements about her being weak just made your argument invalid. I don't really care if you don't change your mind i just want to prove that you're absolutely wrong about Cat.

Look all I was saying was that Brienne barely knew Cat, that's all.  No, Brienne barely knew Cat. However, how can you not judge a person as a strong and courageous woman when that person saved you from being killed even though she's not your ally? When she barely knew you at all?! She just know that you're an innocent and well, technically you're enemies. graaah. But she saved you, just bec. its the right/honorable thing. 

I really think you have a nearsighted view in characters, as most people are. For me even though Brienne is stronger physically, Cat is stronger emotionally. And she portrayed the good mother perfectly and a strong and courageous person. Her treatment of Jon equaled to that of an injustice and medieval society and bec. she's raised that way. If she came to our world i doubt she would subject Jon to those cold treatments; it's just a flaw in her character, not her for being weak. And it's partly Ned's fault, for being stupid. However, if she grew up in our world, i don't think she'll have be content in sitting pretty. She'll probably be a journalist or lawyer......i dunno coz it will never happen.

Her arrest of Tyrion is not smart, but definitely just shows that even though she does not wield an ax, Catelyn Stark will harm you if you tried to harm her children. Definitely shows another strength in her character.

Who's your favorite female character & why? It can be a minor or major character. I was just wondering, I expect most to say Dany but I'm interested to see what you all say. My vote goes to Arianne, I always enjoyed her chapters. #2 may be Cersei, she's just too fun to hate/ read about. 

Daenerys, she's heroic and makes the story interesting. 

Mmm with my own surprise, I would say Sansa. It's funny because I used to hate her so much and I still don't really like her as a person but somehow after everything that has happened I became very fond of her, I started to worry a lot about her and I realized she one of the POVs I enjoy the most. I think all started after Ned's death and I'm totally caught by all the Sandor/Sansa thing and I really fear for her being under Littlefinger's control...I hope she'll have an happy ending.

Archived