Favorite female character?

Defeatarion

I don't see Cat as a strong women. How long was she by Bran's bed being a bitch to everybody? She couldn't handle not having Sansa so she releases Jaime. Cat felt she was entitled, and she caused the lives of many lords and her Son. Foolish weak Women, she killed the Starks when she captured Tyrion, she killed the Starks when she let Jaime go. Hell Cat could've allied with Stannis after Renly's death, but no she had to save poor Brienne.

Dany is Strong, Arya is Strong,Brienne is strong, Cat is not in my opinion.

When you put it that way you are absolutely correct, she and her sister doomed the whole realm lol.

Anyways I love Arya, Cersei and Olenna 

Who's your favorite female character & why? It can be a minor or major character. I was just wondering, I expect most to say Dany but I'm interested to see what you all say. My vote goes to Arianne, I always enjoyed her chapters. #2 may be Cersei, she's just too fun to hate/ read about. 

Daenerys Targaryen

Arianne is okay.  Have you read the sample chapter from TWoW?  I was hoping she has matured since that debacle with Myrcella.  But, it doesn't look to be the case.

Thing is, we only see strong women POV's on asoiaf, not one Meek woman has made it as a POV. When you only put strong women in it, it becomes sort of forced.

Well I guess Sansa was Meek but yeah..

Sansa is meek but she's also strong in her own way. If Arya had been the older, beautiful sister who had fallen for Joff, she would kill him for beheading her father in which would result with her being killed faster in the series. But Sansa had survived in a den of lions where others have not.

I don't see Cat as a strong women. How long was she by Bran's bed being a bitch to everybody? She couldn't handle not having Sansa so she releases Jaime. Cat felt she was entitled, and she caused the lives of many lords and her Son. Foolish weak Women, she killed the Starks when she captured Tyrion, she killed the Starks when she let Jaime go. Hell Cat could've allied with Stannis after Renly's death, but no she had to save poor Brienne.

Dany is Strong, Arya is Strong,Brienne is strong, Cat is not in my opinion.

If you don't see Cat as a strong woman you probably don't have a mother. 

She's never a 'bitch' to anyone, least of all her children. To Jon she had been, but that was understandable and it was all Ned's fault. You can accuse Cersei of being a 'bitch' but not Cat. Never Cat.

I don't know why you would think that capturing Tyrion is the reason the Starks died or letting Jaimie go. Those decisions of hers are very smart but also very stupid...aka honorable.

Yes, she did saved poor Brienne, again a stupid/honorable thing, which is her biggest flaw: being honorable. Just like Ned, stupid/honorable. Honor had killed the Starks, not Cat. 

That's what GRRM writes as a lesson to readers. That Life is no Harry Potter. In real life, you are not honored or rewarded for being honorable and good, but for being cunning and for ambitious. Even our modern present way of life is like that, honoring people who had done bad things, mimicking them, admiring them....cursing and ignoring poor people in poor countries...saying it was their fault for being poor.

Read again what you had written: "Foolish weak Women" you sound just like those smug ignorant people who would put the blame on the rape-victim and her method of resistance, not the rapist.

Many people loves Arya bec we tend to ignore the people she had killed. Just like Jaimie, cersei and The hound....who had killed a lot. Why? bec the people they killed was not important. They were people too who had names, souls and who had parents so they don't matter. They're nameless characters that readers don't care. so what? 

But a woman who had been a good mother, who had raised 5 wonderful children, who had loved an unfaithful husband. who had been a dutiful daughter... who had never killed anyone...Who had not let their anger and hate consume them ....

She's not strong in your opinion? So your definition of a strong woman is a woman who will die fighting? And those others who had not fought are foolish and weak???

All of us had been children and helpless before we grew up...and all that time that we're helpless, who held us and taken care of us? who had kept us safe and comforted us to sleep? who had thought us too love. 

The answer:its those foolish weak women.

have a good day.

Sansa is meek but she's also strong in her own way. If Arya had been the older, beautiful sister who had fallen for Joff, she would kill him for beheading her father in which would result with her being killed faster in the series. But Sansa had survived in a den of lions where others have not.

If you don't see Cat as a strong woman you probably don't have a mother. 
She's never a 'bitch' to anyone, least of all her children. To Jon she had been, but that was understandable and it was all Ned's fault. You can accuse Cersei of being a 'bitch' but not Cat. Never Cat.

I don't know why you would think that capturing Tyrion is the reason the Starks died or letting Jaimie go. Those decisions of hers are very smart but also very stupid...aka honorable.
Yes, she did saved poor Brienne, again a stupid/honorable thing, which is her biggest flaw: being honorable. Just like Ned, stupid/honorable. Honor had killed the Starks, not Cat. 
That's what GRRM writes as a lesson to readers. That Life is no Harry Potter. In real life, you are not honored or rewarded for being honorable and good, but for being cunning and for ambitious. Even our modern present way of life is like that, honoring people who had done bad things, mimicking them, admiring them....cursing and ignoring poor people in poor countries...saying it was their fault for being poor.

Read again what you had written: "Foolish weak Women" you sound just like those smug ignorant people who would put the blame on the rape-victim and her method of resistance, not the rapist.

Many people loves Arya bec we tend to ignore the people she had killed. Just like Jaimie, cersei and The hound....who had killed a lot. Why? bec the people they killed was not important. They were people too who had names, souls and who had parents so they don't matter. They're nameless characters that readers don't care. so what? 
But a woman who had been a good mother, who had raised 5 wonderful children, who had loved an unfaithful husband. who had been a dutiful daughter... who had never killed anyone...Who had not let their anger and hate consume them ....
She's not strong in your opinion? So your definition of a strong woman is a woman who will die fighting? And those others who had not fought are foolish and weak???
All of us had been children and helpless before we grew up...and all that time that we're helpless, who held us and taken care of us? who had kept us safe and comforted us to sleep? who had thought us too love. 
The answer:its those foolish weak women.

have a good day.

If she wouldn't have captured Tyrion, Jaime wouldn't have attacked Ned Stark, and this whole Dagger conspiracy would've at least been underwraps long enough for Ned to send Sansa & Arya away without Cersei's back to the wall. Ned would've also been alright and gone straight to Robert with the Dagger conspiracy.

If she had never released Jaime, Tywin wouldn't have risked The red wedding, or couldn't have even if he wanted. As soon as Riverun heard about it Jaime's head would've been on a spike. The Karstarks wouldn't have left Robb, and maybe Roose would still be Team Robb. With the Karstarks still with Robb and Jaime on chains, It would've been much harder for Roose to switch sides.

Aye, I have a mom a damn good one, what of it? Are you trying to convince me that a mother is strong because she loves her children? A mother loves her children because she loves her children. I understand grief I had my share of it, but at some point you got to understand the situation, if your not going to make an effort to understand the situation at least be reasonable. Hell, even she apologizes for her long moment of grief. Did Cat let Robb be a proper king? No she thought of him at times as a little boy, and did her share of manipulating/influencing.

After all I've said I like the Catelyn' character she is easily in my top 30, I just don't view her as strong.

If she wouldn't have captured Tyrion, Jaime wouldn't have attacked Ned Stark, and this whole Dagger conspiracy would've at least been underwraps long enough for Ned to send Sansa & Arya away without Cersei's back to the wall. Ned would've also been alright and gone straight to Robert with the Dagger conspiracy.

If she had never released Jaime, Tywin wouldn't have risked The red wedding, or couldn't have even if he wanted. As soon as Riverun heard about it Jaime's head would've been on a spike. The Karstarks wouldn't have left Robb, and maybe Roose would still be Team Robb. With the Karstarks still with Robb and Jaime on chains, It would've been much harder for Roose to switch sides.

Aye, I have a mom a damn good one, what of it? Are you trying to convince me that a mother is strong because she loves her children? A mother loves her children because she loves her children. I understand grief I had my share of it, but at some point you got to understand the situation, if your not going to at least be reasonable. Hell, even she apologizes for her long moment of grief. Did Cat let Robb be a proper king? No she thought of him at times as a little boy, manipulating/influencing him.

After all I've said I like the Catelyn' character she is easily in my top 30, I just don't view her as strong.

Agreed. Catelyn's weak decisions have led to a real catastrophe. She might be strong in some sort of way, see Red Wedding. Also she is really smart and her strategic thinking does make a lot of sense. But her weakness lies in her love for her family and from a moral view of point she might be regarded strong but for her political manners I'd say she has done a lot of mistakes due to her weakness

Agreed. Catelyn's weak decisions have led to a real catastrophe. She might be strong in some sort of way, see Red Wedding. Also she is really smart and her strategic thinking does make a lot of sense. But her weakness lies in her love for her family and from a moral view of point she might be regarded strong but for her political manners I'd say she has done a lot of mistakes due to her weakness

Love for ones family is not weakness...

Also, I find it really weird that on these boards, people will say that jaime trying to kill bran "for his family" was a smart move whereas Catelyn capturing Tyrion because she had legitimate reason to Think he'd committed a crime against her son was irrational.

There is an insane amount of hindsight bias among fans of this series. The ONLY thing that matters when it comes to judging a decision is what that person could have reasonably known at the time they made it. The reality of what happens later is completely immaterial. From that perspective, cats decision re: Tyrion (and if argue jaime release as well) was rational and Jaimes was an irrational spur Of the moment impulse.

...All of them?

The #1 is Dany, but... Arianne, Brienne, the Stark girls and Asha also score high.

Less high but still noteworthy are Catelyn (I enjoy her chapters a lot), Margaery (she's mysterious and I want to know more about her, she seems smart) and Shireen (as far as very minor characters go.)

Love for ones family is not weakness...

Also, I find it really weird that on these boards, people will say that jaime trying to kill bran "for his family" was a smart move whereas Catelyn capturing Tyrion because she had legitimate reason to Think he'd committed a crime against her son was irrational.

There is an insane amount of hindsight bias among fans of this series. The ONLY thing that matters when it comes to judging a decision is what that person could have reasonably known at the time they made it. The reality of what happens later is completely immaterial. From that perspective, cats decision re: Tyrion (and if argue jaime release as well) was rational and Jaimes was an irrational spur Of the moment impulse.

I'm not saying that it is a weakness per se but rather that it is Cat's weakness. She lets her grief over her allegedly dead children and her longing for her captured daughters get the better of her. And though this is completely understandable it still can be perceived as weakness.

All of them! 

But really, I love Sansa and Cersei, especially the dynamic they have.  Their story is like an extremely twisted version of Snow White and the Evil Queen.  From book one, Cersei starts to zero in on Sansa because of the prophecy where Cersei believes another queen will cast Cersei down and take all she holds dear.  The clues are really subtle in the first book, but they are there!  Once Sansa is no longer a "threat," she goes after Margaery instead, but still keeps a close eye on Sansa.  Eventually Sansa needs to escape and hide in a place where she ends up taking on a motherly role, much like Snow White.  Cersei, like the Evil Queen, is so angry that she won't even speak the girl's name.  As she believes that it was Sansa who aided with the plot against Joffrey, Sansa has become Cersei's greatest female enemy.  Even the Hound, akin to the Huntsman, once loyal to the Cersei/The Evil Queen is now loyal to Sansa/Snow White as he refuses to hurt her. 

Snow White is one of my favourite stories so it makes me absolutely giddy that GRRM included this easter egg into his work! 

Also really love Margaery and the Queen of Thorns!  And Brienne! 

Aye, I have a mom a damn good one, what of it? Are you trying to convince me that a mother is strong because she loves her children? A mother loves her children because she loves her children. I understand grief I had my share of it, but at some point you got to understand the situation, if your not going to make an effort to understand the situation at least be reasonable. Hell, even she apologizes for her long moment of grief. Did Cat let Robb be a proper king? No she thought of him at times as a little boy, and did her share of manipulating/influencing.

So if you had a son, who had 'almost been killed' by the person whom you had suspected to be the killer, whom you had known in league with you brother-in-laws' killer, you'd just stand aside and let him go/passed without being judged. my..my.. that says a lot about you.

Ned's problem is not being attacked by Jaimie, he survived that, his problem is he had gone to Cersei secretly 'in the name of honor' and not to Robert. As Varys had so wisely stated if you even read the books. "It was not wine that killed the king. It was your mercy.” Never blame Catelyn in Ned's honorable/stupid decisions. If Ned had only agreed to Cat to join him in King's Landing and not leaving her behind, he and Sansa won't be able to do their stupid decisions.

Catelyn had trusted Petyr Baelish as well as Ned,...He knew how their minds works. You're putting the blame on Catelyn's decisions when if you look at it, it was LF's excellent plotting. Ned and Cat had put their trusts in the wrong man, and you're going to blame Cat for not knowing how LF's mind works? For not being a mind reader? Again, you're putting the blame on the victim, not the criminal.

Tywin will risk anything to get rid of his enemies. If he won't he isn't Tywin at all. 

"You bloody bastard, you think Jamie's good as dead, so I'm all you have left." Tyrion, AGOT

Killing Rickard Karstark is what had cost Robb to the Karstarks, not Cat freeing Jaimie. He could have just punish Rickard by locking him in a cell for years but he killed him, and you blame Catelyn because her son thought he's right?

you said: "How long was she by Bran's bed being a bitch to everybody?"

but then later you also said: "Hell, even she apologizes for her long moment of grief." 

you blame her for 'acting a bitch' and then blame her again for apologizing. *smh  :bs: 

"Did Cat let Robb be a proper king? No she thought of him at times as a little boy, and did her share of manipulating/influencing."

Can you tell me when did Cat had manipulated her son. So a good person influencing another person is bad? But of a 'badass' person influences another person, its ok? So what if she thought of him as a little boy? He is HER little boy and always will be. If your mother had never felt of you as a little boy/girl even when you had grown up....well....again that says a lot.

So a mother who had unfairly lost a husband , who had lost two sons and two daughters, who had been away for them for a long time without getting mad, who still remember to be a good person despite all of the evilness around her ... IS NOT A STRONG WOMAN IN YOUR OPINION?

Other lesser women had gone crazy about lesser problems. If you are not aware of that, what world do you live in?

“No, but you have courage. Not battle courage perhaps but… I don’t know… a kind of woman’s courage.” - Brienne ACOK

so a woman who has courage is NOT strong in you opinion. :dunno:

“I had hoped to help you make a peace, my lord. I will not help you make a war.”

"The gods don’t care about men, no more than kings care about peasants.”

“On my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark, I will trade your boy’s life for Robb’s. A son for a son.”-Catelyn ACOK

for you, those words are probably from the pov of a weakling woman. :dunce:

So if you had a son, who had 'almost been killed' by the person whom you had suspected to be the killer, whom you had known in league with you brother-in-laws' killer, you'd just stand aside and let him go/passed without being judged. my..my.. that says a lot about you.

Ned's problem is not being attacked by Jaimie, he survived that, his problem is he had gone to Cersei secretly 'in the name of honor' and not to Robert. As Varys had so wisely stated if you even read the books. "It was not wine that killed the king. It was your mercy.” Never blame Catelyn in Ned's honorable/stupid decisions. If Ned had only agreed to Cat to join him in King's Landing and not leaving her behind, he and Sansa won't be able to do their stupid decisions.

Catelyn had trusted Petyr Baelish as well as Ned,...He knew how their minds works. You're putting the blame on Catelyn's decisions when if you look at it, it was LF's excellent plotting. Ned and Cat had put their trusts in the wrong man, and you're going to blame Cat for not knowing how LF's mind works? For not being a mind reader? Again, you're putting the blame on the victim, not the criminal.

Tywin will risk anything to get rid of his enemies. If he won't he isn't Tywin at all. 

"You bloody bastard, you think Jamie's good as dead, so I'm all you have left." Tyrion, AGOT

Killing Rickard Karstark is what had cost Robb to the Karstarks, not Cat freeing Jaimie. He could have just punish Rickard by locking him in a cell for years but he killed him, and you blame Catelyn because her son thought he's right?

you said: "How long was she by Bran's bed being a bitch to everybody?"

but then later you also said: "Hell, even she apologizes for her long moment of grief." 

you blame her for 'acting a bitch' and then blame her again for apologizing. *smh  :bs:

"Did Cat let Robb be a proper king? No she thought of him at times as a little boy, and did her share of manipulating/influencing."

Can you tell me when did Cat had manipulated her son. So a good person influencing another person is bad? But of a 'badass' person influences another person, its ok? So what if she thought of him as a little boy? He is HER little boy and always will be. If your mother had never felt of you as a little boy/girl even when you had grown up....well....again that says a lot.

So a mother who had unfairly lost a husband , who had lost two sons and two daughters, who had been away for them for a long time without getting mad, who still remember to be a good person despite all of the evilness around her ... IS NOT A STRONG WOMAN IN YOUR OPINION?

Other lesser women had gone crazy about lesser problems. If you are not aware of that, what world do you live in?

“No, but you have courage. Not battle courage perhaps but… I don’t know… a kind of woman’s courage.” - Brienne ACOK

so a woman who has courage is NOT strong in you opinion. :dunno:

“I had hoped to help you make a peace, my lord. I will not help you make a war.”

"The gods don’t care about men, no more than kings care about peasants.”

“On my honor as a Tully, on my honor as a Stark, I will trade your boy’s life for Robb’s. A son for a son.”-Catelyn ACOK

for you, those words are probably from the pov of a weakling woman. :dunce:

I don't think Catelyn is weak but she is foolish. Abducting Tyrion and releasing Jaime were two actions that had a major negative impact on Ned and Robb. 

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" – Bran Stark
"That is the only time a man can be brave." – Eddard Stark 

Every strong men, and WOMEN, have weakness. And a woman's weakness that lies for her family's life and her moral point of view, not her carnal desires or greed or anger or how strong she hates, "might only be strong in some sort of way"?

That's why i always laugh at people who think that The Hound is braver than Catelyn Tully. A person who had never been afraid of anything except fire is braver than a person who had been constantly afraid of everything after losing most of her family? Ah of course, bec. he's way more badass.

Obviously many people still does not understand Ned.  :dunno: why cant you get it peepz?????

Archived