Favorite female character?

Defeatarion

1. Sansa--Great Shakespearean redemption character.  She's had to unlearn all her past behavior and learn from new situations.  Where she eventually ends up is still up in the air.

2. Cersei--She's such a fantastic Caligula-style villainess with her twitchy paranoia and hate for all who cause her feiar.  Headey isn't quite as gorgeous as the character, but she's been remarkable.

3. Margaery Tyrell--She's an excellent example of the crafty, pragmatic woman whose self-confidence and smarts obviously outduel Cersei's.  She is a bit narcissistic, but so what.  She'd be a better queen than most in Westeros.

4. Osha  (in the show)--She's a bit of the noble savage.  Crafty, pragmatic, and strong, but still kindhearted enough to be gentle with the little lords.

5. Melissandre--The wild card.  Is she a true believer just doing her spiritual duty or an opportunist using religion for her gain?  We still don't know because she's so good at what she does.

I just love to hate Cersei.  No one out bitches Cersei Lannister!  Her state of mind is such a quagmire of emotions and scheming and conflict.  She is a wonderfully complex character and I find her an extremely entertaining read.

Agreed! Same goes with Ramsay. I love hating characters. Mind you, I always catch myself feeling a bit sorry for her. I truly enjoy Cersei as a character. Despite her awful demeanour she is an excellently depicted character

I don't think Catelyn is weak but she is foolish. Abducting Tyrion and releasing Jaime were two actions that had a major negative impact on Ned and Robb. 

she is indeed foolish. alot of the characters who had been most foolish in this books are the characters who emerges the most strongest.

Catelyn is possibly the most realistic depiction of a woman GRRM has written in the series. She is not an over-the-top awesome warrior. She is not a cackling witch monster. She is not an emotionless husk. Catelyn is strong because she epitomizes the potential that all women, all people, have while also having very real human traits, or "failings" I guess if you want a negative slant on it (and it's clear you do). Being strong means being susceptible to weakness, otherwise the word strong would be devoid of meaning. Being strong means making decisions and accepting, at least to yourself, that they may have not been the best course of action. Being strong means persevering against all odds and heartaches. Being strong is watching your family die one by one until you have an arrow in the back, have captured a hostage, and continue to fight for your first son's life despite hope blowing out like a candle in a storm. 

No one in the series, save perhaps the daughters that are so like her, are as strong as Catelyn had to be during the war.

She can be very rational when it comes to her family. One or two missteps do not make every action in favor of her family irrational. Her son and King was equally if not more irrational than her. A crown does not give him any more wisdom or experience, and it was clear from before the coronation that Robb was not ready to be a leader of so many people, in such a chaotic situation. If he had listened to her more, he would have been more successful.

Catelyn is possibly the most realistic depiction of a woman GRRM has written in the series. She is not an over-the-top awesome warrior. She is not a cackling witch monster. She is not an emotionless husk. Catelyn is strong because she epitomizes the potential that all women, all people, have while also having very real human traits, or "failings" I guess if you want a negative slant on it (and it's clear you do). Being strong means being susceptible to weakness, otherwise the word strong would be devoid of meaning. Being strong means making decisions and accepting, at least to yourself, that they may have not been the best course of action. Being strong means persevering against all odds and heartaches. Being strong is watching your family die one by one until you have an arrow in the back, have captured a hostage, and continue to fight for your first son's life despite hope blowing out like a candle in a storm. 

No one in the series, save perhaps the daughters that are so like her, are as strong as Catelyn had to be during the war.

Yes! I love Catelyn too. Funny, I didn't pay her much mind on my first read, but she's grown on me a lot on rereads. She's possibly one of my favourite characters now.

Archived