(Book Spoilers) Speculating on events at the wall

AzorAhai42

Furry cloak or I will be the last Stannis fan on board the "Character Assassination" train. Someone else will have to to turn off the lights.

HNNNG Stannis in furs :drool: :wub:

But don't get your hopes up, I doubt D&D would waste the budget for Stan's costume :p

So, episode 10 at the Wall will most likely feature at least four scenes (or 2 main ones) :

- Jon and Mance discussion.

- Stannis charge.

- Ygritte's pyre (probably a exchange between Jon and Melisandre).

- Stannis offering (hope its top of the Wall and Ghost is there !!!)

Then, there is the wildcard : will the election take place in the finale ? It could be achieved with two quick scenes : one with Sam and Aemon discussing it (and it would give them some screentime in the finale, which never goes amiss) followed by a reunion of all the surviving brothers, Aemon saying they need a new LC, Sam proposing Jon and the brothers cheering his name. Shot of Thorne, disgusted. Exchange of looks between Jon and Stannis. End of Wall's arc for the season.

HNNNG Stannis in furs :drool: :wub:

But don't get your hopes up, I doubt D&D would waste the budget for Stan's costume :P

But Stannis wouldn't "waste" money on his armour??? FRIVIOLOUS.

I did a couple of "Stannis in furs" edits a while ago, using King Henry from Reign as the basis, I must see if I can dig them out.

I love his "lighter" black cloak and I know he's "hard as nails" but time to wrap up! Brrr.

I would actually love him to wear a fur robe with Baratheon colours ( as in gold and black) like he does in the books at the wall, just to remind that he is a Baratheon. I know he has his own sigil in the books but visually I think it is a good reminder that he is King Roberts brother, not cousin or distant relative etc.

I would actually love him to wear a fur robe with Baratheon colours ( as in gold and black) like he does in the books at the wall, just to remind that he is a Baratheon. I know he has his own sigil in the books but visually I think it is a good reminder that he is King Roberts brother, not cousin or distant relative etc.

Hnnng the "cloth of gold" cloak is very nice. However, all of the costumes on the show have been toned down and I think one of the only people who's regularly seen in house colours is Cersei? for Stannis to suddenly have this flashy gold cloak might be weird, even if might kill people like sati and myself.

There's always a nod to the Baratheon stag somewhere on his costumes. In the books he starts wearing black clothes like the NW which might also be nice but I reckon they'll stick to that long fitted coat as his "basic" costume becuase he's certainly not going to come out of "war mode"

Nope, not obsessed with Stannis' costumes. Nope. :(

Hnnng the "cloth of gold" cloak is very nice. However, all of the costumes on the show have been toned down and I think one of the only people who's regularly seen in house colours is Cersei? for Stannis to suddenly have this flashy gold cloak might be weird, even if might kill people like sati and myself.

There's always a nod to the Baratheon stag somewhere on his costumes. In the books he starts wearing black clothes like the NW which might also be nice but I reckon they'll stick to that long fitted coat as his "basic" costume becuase he's certainly not going to come out of "war mode"

Nope, not obsessed with Stannis' costumes. Nope. :(

That was certainly true at the start of the series, practically no one wore their house colours.

At the wedding, everyone was in their house colours, which was good to see.

IIRC Stannis wore black stuff with gold trim at the wall, as ai said Id love to see that.

Here's the book quote, you're looking for:

They found Stannis Baratheon standing alone at the edge of the Wall, brooding over the field where he had won his battle, and the great green forest beyond. He was dressed in the same black breeches, tunic, and boots that a brother of the Night’s Watch might wear. Only his cloak set him apart; a heavy golden cloak trimmed in black fur, and pinned with a brooch in the shape of a flaming heart.

That sounds actually –for Stannis’ standards- pretty frivolous.* We NEED him in furs!

If there’s one person who shouldn’t wear any other, warmer clothes then it’s Melisandre. Both, Jon in the elevator and later Stannis in ADWD, ask her if she doesn’t want to wear at least a cloak or something, but she always answers “The Lord’s fires lives within me” or “My faith warms me”, aso… So, I’d say: Stannis in furs and for Mel (poor Carice) her usually outfit!

(* Btw, am I the only one who always wondered how the hell he gets his beloved lemon water at The Wall? He drinks it, he lets Devan Seaworth bring it, he offers it Jon… I don’t think the NW has usually lemon, so Stannis has to let transport lemons from Dorne to the Wall, hasn’t he?... Wow, maybe he’s more a spender than we all thought :lol: )

It actually shows GRRMs attention to detail. Most of Stannis' clothes would be Gold and Black. He isn't the kind of man to throw out all of his clothes when he created his own sigil, and being summer when he did, he wouldn't have bothered making new winter clothes with them. So it makes sense the only winter clothes he would own are gold and black.

Here's the book quote, you're looking for:

That sounds actually –for Stannis’ standards- pretty frivolous.* We NEED him in furs!

If there’s one person who shouldn’t wear any other, warmer clothes then it’s Melisandre. Both, Jon in the elevator and later Stannis in ADWD, ask her if she doesn’t want to wear at least a cloak or something, but she always answers “The Lord’s fires lives within me” or “My faith warms me”, aso… So, I’d say: Stannis in furs and for Mel (poor Carice) her usually outfit!

(* Btw, am I the only one who always wondered how the hell he gets his beloved lemon water at The Wall? He drinks it, he lets Devan Seaworth bring it, he offers it Jon… I don’t think the NW has usually lemon, so Stannis has to let transport lemons from Dorne to the Wall, hasn’t he?... Wow, maybe he’s more a spender than we all thought :lol: )

Littlefinger might have a nice sideline in lemon supplying all over Westeros, seeing as he managed to smuggle a crate out for Sansa's lemoncakes in the Eyrie. Never miss a genuine opportunity. :cool4:

As an aside, sometimes I like to imagine Stannis and Littlefinger interacting in KL pre-AGOT/series. It's kind of a shame that we will never get to see Stannis interacting with so many characters, even though he would have been around them - and hated them all too - so much pre-series.

Carice said something about how she'd be cold alright, but she's wearing her robe in the trailer shot. It would be very cruel (and possibly a health and safety" risk to have her in one of her thin dresses the whole time. The scenes might only be a few minutes long but they're probably filming for hours.

Founding Member of Carice Van Houten Defence League.

So, episode 10 at the Wall will most likely feature at least four scenes (or 2 main ones) :

- Jon and Mance discussion.

- Stannis charge.

- Ygritte's pyre (probably a exchange between Jon and Melisandre).

- Stannis offering (hope its top of the Wall and Ghost is there !!!)

Then, there is the wildcard : will the election take place in the finale ? It could be achieved with two quick scenes : one with Sam and Aemon discussing it (and it would give them some screentime in the finale, which never goes amiss) followed by a reunion of all the surviving brothers, Aemon saying they need a new LC, Sam proposing Jon and the brothers cheering his name. Shot of Thorne, disgusted. Exchange of looks between Jon and Stannis. End of Wall's arc for the season.

Wow I wouldn't get my hopes up that much.

There'll be about 5 minutes of wall max, with 1 min of Stannis.

At this point if Stannis even shows up at all I'll call it a win.

It seems like it'd made more sense for him to become LC at the end of this season, so his whole arc next season can be focused on him already in charge of things.

I don't see a way to cram all the things that lead to his election in just one episode, even if it was entirely set at the wall, once again, which is highly unlikely.

It actually shows GRRMs attention to detail. Most of Stannis' clothes would be Gold and Black. He isn't the kind of man to throw out all of his clothes when he created his own sigil, and being summer when he did, he wouldn't have bothered making new winter clothes with them. So it makes sense the only winter clothes he would own are gold and black.

:agree: You're right, that makes much sense! Great detail!

Littlefinger might have a nice sideline in lemon supplying all over Westeros, seeing as he managed to smuggle a crate out for Sansa's lemoncakes in the Eyrie. Never miss a genuine opportunity. :cool4:

As an aside, sometimes I like to imagine Stannis and Littlefinger interacting in KL pre-AGOT/series. It's kind of a shame that we will never get to see Stannis interacting with so many characters, even though he would have been around them - and hated them all too - so much pre-series.

Carice said something about how she'd be cold alright, but she's wearing her robe in the trailer shot. It would be very cruel (and possibly a health and safety" risk to have her in one of her thin dresses the whole time. The scenes might only be a few minutes long but they're probably filming for hours.

Founding Member of Carice Van Houten Defence League.

Ah, of course! How could I forgot Littlefinger's secret lemon supplying business?! That would also make sense, so maybe there's one thing of LF Stannis is thankful for :P.

Oh, yeah, I would do almost everything to get a Small Council meeting pre-Ned! I imagine it to be one of the funniest things ever! I read once on these forums this by GallowsKnight: (19 Apr 2013)

That small council is really one I'd love to read, it would be so darn hilarious.

You've got Robert Baratheon, rarely attending and when he does most likely drunk

Jon Arryn is most likely the straight man/only sane man, trying to keep the kingdom and the council together.

There's Renly, Littlefinger and Varys all with quips and catty comments.

Pycelle going off on fake senile rants when asked questions.

Then Stannis, he thinks he's the straight man like Jon Arryn, but in reality he's bringing up ultra conservative suggestions and delivering these amazingly scathing comments.

(Plus Barristan Selmy but he's not very humorous)

and again by GallowsKnight: (06 Jan 2013)

Not really a moment but the membership of the small council before Ned arrives makes me smile, you've got Renly, Littlefinger and Varys dishing out barbed insults, Stannis grinding his teeth and dropping his unique dry humour and Pycelle acting like a befuddled old man.

All the while Jon Arryn is the straight man trying to run the country.

That's how I imagine it, too :lol: (God, I'm sure he hated it so much...)

I don't want to happen anything bad to Carice, she's so wonderful and so generous with information in interviews :). Yeah, that'd be torture to film the scenes without warm clothes, so rather Mel (AND Stannis!) in furs than a sick Carice.

...Now I remember Davos telling Lord Borrell that he almost frostbited at Eastwatch, hopefully he'll get something warm, too :frown5:!

Lord commander Mormont takes lemon in his beer.

Finally me not being caught up in the books pays off!!!

Lord commander Mormont takes lemon in his beer.

Finally me not being caught up in the books pays off!!!

Oh, very good catch! :cheers:

So, when Jon worries (pre-Tycho at the Wall) about how to get his people through the winter and that there isn't enough to feed them, they always have at least lemons! Hurray!

So, what does everybody think about Kit Harrington's interview with ABC, wherein he says he 'may be out of a job' after this episode? Just trolling, or...?

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/game-thrones-kit-harrington-job/story?id=24069840

He said that to cover his butt, because in another interview, he mentioned how Ygritte's death will give us a "very different Jon in season 5" or something, and the interviewer was like "oh so you live?" He gives accidental spoilers a lot, poor guy.

Oh, very good catch! :cheers:

So, when Jon worries (pre-Tycho at the Wall) about how to get his people through the winter and that there isn't enough to feed them, they always have at least lemons! Hurray!

To prevent scurvy, no doubt.

Archived