(Book and Show Spoilers) Promo and Recap

True. But there's not really an actual image attached to the description. I can't really see someone who doesn't care much for her personality and such still liking her because she's described as pretty, ya know?

I think here's where you're wrong. Even without a image attached, people form pictures in their own head. And a character who's described as beautiful will cause the reader to associate the character with being attractive in their head, and that will often lead to some readers liking them more.

Now I am not saying that the only reason people like Sansa is because she's described as pretty, it's certainly helps her popularity though. But I also think one of the reasons so many people like Jaime is because he's described as very handsome. I don't think this is exclusive to Sansa. I don't think Jaime would have nearly as many fans if his appearance were described to be similar to Chett.

To be fair, Book Sansa is described as pretty or beautiful many, many, many times...to the point where, as I recall, many fans complained at great length about Sophie Turner's casting when the news came out on the basis that she wasn't sufficiently beautiful to play Sansa. It's not a TV Jorah vs. Book Jorah situation.

With that said, I'd say Sansa's popularity gets far more of a boost from her status as one of the core POVs and as one of the Stark POVs than from her beauty. There are other characters in the series who are also described as beautiful whose fanbases are comparatively small: Cersei, Arianne, Margaery, Val, etc. ASOIAF's crawling with beautiful female characters, so that alone won't get a character very far.

Right, because no one cared about Book Arya despite her being described as plain, or about Book Brienne despite her being described as hideously ugly. Oh, wait, they did. I'd even say Arya--in both TV and book incarnations--is far more popular than Sansa, despite being far less conventionally attractive in the book and the show.

True, there are many beautiful women.

But I believe that Sansa as character invites far more romantic shipping than anyone of those female characters described as beautiful. The other ones have more edges and corners, they are more determined and fleshed out in their goals, they do their "shipping" themselves, they promise so much more than a romantic storyline and with Sansa we have yet to wait.

I think the attractiveness of some characters certainly plays a part in whether more casual viewers like them or not. Those on their 48th read with millions of posts on message boards? Not so much.

I really miss Viserys. I preferred him to Dany. I always feel guilty because she is really the only female who was going for the Iron Throne. And part of me feels like I should support her in that. But yeah, I kind of don't.

On topic, finally a new episode tomorrow. I'm having serious Mad Men withdrawals so this episode better be damn good. And they better give poor Maisie something to do.

And Yara/Asha. If she is in this episode, I hope they treat her much better than the last time she was in an episode.

Edited to add: Winter has come! Here is Australia anyway.

I'm such a masoquist (I think we all are on this subject), I'm loving this Oberyn SO much and I've even dreamt about this freaking duel a few days ago because we all know it's going to be absolutely epic, I really can't wait to see it, it might be the moment I'm most anxious about for this half of the season because it's so intense emotionally, and then I think about how it ends, the true GRRM "justice", the so-real-and-true-to-our-world kind of justice... HOW SAD, MAN! And that Pascal is SUCH a nice guy. I'm already mourning, it's like someone said earlier, me thinks, everything he says just makes me appreciate him more and miss him more, he's nailing all his scenes!!

I think here's where you're wrong. Even without a image attached, people form pictures in their own head. And a character who's described as beautiful will cause the reader to associate the character with being attractive in their head, and that will often lead to some readers liking them more.

Now I am not saying that the only reason people like Sansa is because she's described as pretty, it's certainly helps her popularity though. But I also think one of the reasons so many people like Jaime is because he's described as very handsome. I don't think this is exclusive to Sansa. I don't think Jaime would have nearly as many fans if his appearance were described to be similar to Chett.

I'm a major Sansa fan. And I happen to find red-heads (and blondes for that matter) to be rather ugly. Had I been writing the books, I would have given Sansa black hair and the beauty that tends to accompany it, and made Arya the ginger.*

Yes Winter is definitely here. Waiting for time to pass in the USA... sigh...

*Well actually I would've made the Arya character blonde, since everyone already knows that gingers are hideous, and yet no-one seems to notice that most blondes are also rather plain.

14 hours and 35 minutes, and this episode will be ours. :drool:

I fully expect it to be one of the show's crowning moments. So stoked!

And while we're all going to miss him, Pedro Pascal is going to end his time in GoT with possibly one of the most epic sequences the show has ever done, destined to be remembered forever. So don't feel to bad for him. :)

^She had some sub-par moments there too. I cringe at "you SOLD SLAVES" and her "why?" that follows it. Her season 1 material was stronger but I think that reflects there being more book material to draw from and more prominent characters besides her around. In season 2 she had to carry the storyline more with varying degrees of success.

Once again though, how about that "the Mountain and the Viper"?

I'll only watch it tomorrow morning... Such a pain. XD ELIA!!!!!!!!! I hope they use all his lines, specially the seven hells one.

Yeah, I also only get to watch it 8 hours or so after it airs. I satiate my appetite with reviews and forum opinions till then.

^She had some sub-par moments there too. I cringe at "you SOLD SLAVES" and her "why?" that follows it. Her season 1 material was stronger but I think that reflects there being more book material to draw from and more prominent characters besides her around. In season 2 she had to carry the storyline more with varying degrees of success.

Once again though, how about that "the Mountain and the Viper"?

Yeah, I rewatched S1E4 two nights ago, and I cringed at that line too. However, I think that, for the most part she is really good. I think it's just some lines she says, like that one, "Where are my dragons?" and "I will answer injustice with justice" that make the fanbase have a bad opinion of her. For the most part, though, she is pretty great.

should be interesting to see Allen's performance in this episode as he treats with the ironborn. I'm sure he will knock it out of the park. This year pascal and allen have been excellent and are really the Mvps of this season.

^Yeah, he's almost at full on Tropic Thunder "dude playing a dude disguised as another dude" status.

The idea of having your personality destroyed and being turned basically into a dog and then being made to play yourself again is beautifully twisted. Seeing it onscreen will be even more so. Though Roose is my liege lord, I must concede that Ramsay is pretty clever when it comes to psychological fuckery. But the son is the shadow of the father.

They've been setting up Moat Cailin since episode 2, but I don't remember it being a particularly thrilling moment (especially since they've already proved what Reek is willing to do in the Yara scene). I can hardly remember the scene in the books. Was it really that great?

I think of Moat Cailin is in the opening, it will take the place of the Dreadfort. They have a bad tendency to show locations on the opening that don't actually appear (Vase Dothrak, anyone?) so I hope that they change that since Theon and Ramsay are actually there.

There's been very little talk of the Moat Cailin scene in this thread. At least, in the more recent pages.

They've been setting up Moat Cailin since episode 2, but I don't remember it being a particularly thrilling moment (especially since they've already proved what Reek is willing to do in the Yara scene). I can hardly remember the scene in the books. Was it really that great?

It wasn't. However, from what we've seen of it in the promos so far, the atmosphere seems to be pretty epic. Also, Alfie Allen has a knack of knocking meh material out of the park. We can safely assume that this scene will be great!

It is important because it is the begining of theons rebirth. For the first time in along time he feels just alittle bit like theon again and has flashes of what he once was. Plus it gives us a different view of the ironborn. Up unitl that point they had been savages, but we see in that scene that they are just starvard soldiers disanfranchized form command just looking to go home. It is verry apocalspe now. it is not an action scene, it is more of a pycholgical scene and a big step on the reek theon journey.

Archived