Moments of Foreshadowing 9

Mithras

Regarding the foreshadow about the different way kings die in the Arya AGoT chapter:

^It's already been speculated that Cersei might do this to one of her children.

That was an amazing catch about the ways the kings will die! :bowdown:

On the one about the Queen poisoning a King... During the battle of Blackwater, Cersei, thinking all was lost was just about to poison Tommen with nightshade or sweet sleep, can't remember which, but was interrupted with the news of victory. At least I know for sure that was what they showed in the show, and I think it is in the books too, but it's been so long ago since I read the books.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for the last two: about the pox and the fishbone.

Regarding the foreshadow about the different way kings die in the Arya AGoT chapter:

That was an amazing catch about the ways the kings will die! :bowdown:

On the one about the Queen poisoning a King... During the battle of Blackwater, Cersei, thinking all was lost was just about to poison Tommen with nightshade or sweet sleep, can't remember which, but was interrupted with the news of victory. At least I know for sure that was what they showed in the show, and I think it is in the books too, but it's been so long ago since I read the books.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for the last two: about the pox and the fishbone.

That was from the show. However, there is a theory that Cersei herself poisoned Joffrey unintentionally with the poisoned pie she prepared for Tyrion.

That was from the show. However, there is a theory that Cersei herself poisoned Joffrey unintentionally with the poisoned pie she prepared for Tyrion.

Did seh bake a cherry pie... No, seriously, did Cersei attempt to poison Tyrion?

In ASOS the Purple Wedding occurs 2/3 of the way through the book. Its obvious predecessor is the Red Wedding shortly before it, but it has another predecessor in the Prologue.

Chett had been sent to the Night’s Watch for stabbing a girl named Bessa to death after she had rejected his advances. He had offered her the wildflowers he’d spent the whole morning picking: wild roses and tansy and goldencups. (ASOS p15)

During the bedding festivities, Margaery (a Tyrell rose) was going to poison Joffrey to death – the ultimate rejection of his advances. She would not have his babies (tansy). The poison would come at the end of a whole day of ceremony and celebration in which one of the songs played was “Bessa the Barmaid.” The poison would be offered mixed with wine in a golden cup.

It sounds like Bessa’s revenge on Chett playing out with Margaery and Joffrey!

Black Brothers led by Chett are conspiring to mutiny at the Fist of the First Men, and plan to run away to freedom afterwards. Their plan is interrupted…

Three Tyrell ladies are conspiring to “mutiny” against their king, and then take Sansa away to freedom afterwards. Their plan is interrupted…

Chett is in charge of the dogs. He hasn’t fed them in three days. (ASOS p5) Specific mention is made of one dog – a “big black bitch.” (ASOS p1)

When Joffrey dies, a thin black dog creeps up to sniff at his corpse. It is shooed away.

(ASOS p830)

GRRM included all those parallels very deliberately. Plus, another song played at the wedding was “Maiden, Mother and Crone,” matching Margaery, Alerie and Olenna.

To these wonderful parallels, I can only add "Small Paul-Mormont's Raven" vs. "Willas-Sansa".

Small Paul liked animals. Mormont's Raven is a precious bird. Small Paul wanted it for himself after the mutiny.

Willas likes animals (he breeds birds). Sansa is a precious bird. Willas wanted her for himself after the wedding.

Jon III ADWD:

"One arrow took Mance Rayder in the chest, one in the gut, one in the throat. The fourth struck one of the cage's wooden bars, and quivered for an instant before catching fire. A woman's sobs echoed off the Wall as the wildling king slid bonelessly to the floor of his cage, wreathed in fire. "And now his Watch is done," Jon murmured softly. Mance Rayder had been a man of the Night's Watch once, before he changed his black cloak for one slashed with bright red silk."

Obviously, this entire scene has a bit of foreshadowing. First, the three arrows that hit Mance, though the fourth misses. Sounds like Jon's assassination attempt. 3 knives connect, yet the final one misses its mark. Could mean that Jon doesn't get stabbed by that 4th knife. Also foreshadows that Jon could be burned and he does, actually, accept his parentage. The previous paragraph compares Val to salt, though that's a very common passage many use in the AA threads. Also, it should be noted that in this chapter the wildlings are given weirwood to burn in order to cross under the Wall. Mance is also put in a weirwood cage as he is burned. BR is basically in a weirwood cage, as well. Maybe signifying that, if Jon is burned, BR will connect with him somehow, and as he rises from the flames, he will don his "red and black cloak" and go forth as Jon Targ.

ETA: Jon saying "And now his Watch is done." could signify that Jon, if he is, indeed, dead, will be released from his vows according to his brothers and whoever is LC.

That night she dreamt she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper’s rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent. Some small part of her knew that she was dreaming, but another part exulted. This is how it was meant to be. The other was a nightmare, and I have only now awakened.

I theorise this dream will come to be almost as is, it's a battle or the battle in the war for the dawn, only it's not Dany burning Other's flooding the Trident, but Bran calling the hammer of the waters down on them.

The watcher in the tower who Arya supposes is Lord Roote in Harroway may symbolise Bran (roots, living under a tree). Arya notes of the man "He doesn't look much like a lord. But then, she didn't look much like a lady either". And when Bran floods the trident the waters may bring with it a kraken or krakens as the gnarled uprooted tree in the same chapter is likened to. It may be by design, the krakens skinchanging fodder for Bran or other skinchangers to fight with, or they may be enemies, an unintended consequence.

The shore was all sharp rocks and glowering cliffs, and the castle seemed one with the rest, its towers and walls and bridges quarried from the same grey-black stone, wet by the same salt waves, festooned with the same spreading patches of dark green lichen, speckled by the droppings of the same seabirds. The point of land on which the Greyjoys had raised their fortress had once thrust like a sword into the bowels of the ocean, but the waves had hammered at it day and night until the land broke and shattered, thousands of years past. All that remained were three bare and barren islands and a dozen towering stacks of rock that rose from the water like the pillars of some sea god’s temple, while the angry waves foamed and crashed among them.

Note the towers and how the waves hammered the Greyjoy fortress.

Above the Sea Tower snapped his father’s banner. The Myraham was too far off for Theon to see more than the cloth itself, but he knew the device it bore: the golden kraken of House Greyjoy, arms writhing and reaching against a black field. The banner streamed from an iron mast, shivering and twisting as the wind gusted, like a bird struggling to take flight. And here at least the direwolf of Stark did not fly above, casting its shadow down upon the Greyjoy kraken.

I don’t think so. Bran is the winged wolf who can fly and I bet he can cast his shadow down upon the Greyjoy kraken. Euron thought that he can fly but his flight will end with a crush at Oldtown.

I think after Euron’s fall, Aeron will summon another Kingsmoot. Aeron is mad with continuing Balon’s quest (which is a folly) and Rodrik Harlaw will oppose him this time to avoid further defeats. Bran will destroy Pyke along with the Damphair by the Hammer of Waters and Rodrik Harlaw will become the Lord of the Iron Isles.

The shore was all sharp rocks and glowering cliffs, and the castle seemed one with the rest, its towers and walls and bridges quarried from the same grey-black stone, wet by the same salt waves, festooned with the same spreading patches of dark green lichen, speckled by the droppings of the same seabirds. The point of land on which the Greyjoys had raised their fortress had once thrust like a sword into the bowels of the ocean, but the waves had hammered at it day and night until the land broke and shattered, thousands of years past. All that remained were three bare and barren islands and a dozen towering stacks of rock that rose from the water like the pillars of some sea god’s temple, while the angry waves foamed and crashed among them.

Note the towers and how the waves hammered the Greyjoy fortress.

Above the Sea Tower snapped his father’s banner. The Myraham was too far off for Theon to see more than the cloth itself, but he knew the device it bore: the golden kraken of House Greyjoy, arms writhing and reaching against a black field. The banner streamed from an iron mast, shivering and twisting as the wind gusted, like a bird struggling to take flight. And here at least the direwolf of Stark did not fly above, casting its shadow down upon the Greyjoy kraken.

I don’t think so. Bran is the winged wolf who can fly and I bet he can cast his shadow down upon the Greyjoy kraken. Euron thought that he can fly but his flight will end with a crush at Oldtown.

To that I'll add

he [Damphair] could hear the pounding of the waves, the hammer of his god calling him into battle.

A connection between the waves and hammer, another hint to the Hammer of the Waters?

I think after Euron’s fall, Aeron will summon another Kingsmoot. Aeron is mad with continuing Balon’s quest (which is a folly) and Rodrik Harlaw will oppose him this time to avoid further defeats. Bran will destroy Pyke along with the Damphair by the Hammer of Waters and Rodrik Harlaw will become the Lord of the Iron Isles.

How ironic, the Drowned Man dies by drowning.

To that I'll add

he [Damphair] could hear the pounding of the waves, the hammer of his god calling him into battle.

A connection between the waves and hammer, another hint to the Hammer of the Waters?

How ironic, the Drowned Man dies by drowning.

furthermore, the World book sample

names Pyke as an example of a "natural disaster" of the type that the maester think broke the Arm and created the Stepstones, alongside the Doom of Valyria (which probably wasn´t a natural disaster, but rather caused by the Faceless men).

Maybe this is foreshadowing a new "natural disaster"

I agree with the idea that Nagga’s ribs are the remnants of an extremely rare type of sacred weirwood grove. I think it is possible that long before the First Men came to Westeros, Iron Isles were connected to the mainland. Maybe giants vs. CotF conflict happened or even a war between different kinds of CotF.

The Farwynds give the idea that sea monsters can be skinchanged and maybe the CotF living in this part of the mainland evolved into a different culture than their cousins living in the forests. At a certain point they fought each other and the forest dwelling CotF were successful in separating the Iron Isles from the mainland. In time, the CotF dwelling on the Iron Isles lost their power as the weirwoods keep dying and finally they went extinct. Only the petrified weirwoods trees remained.

from AFFC:

The waif put the tears to one side and opened a fat stone jar. “This paste is spiced with basilisk blood. It will give cooked flesh a savory smell, but if eaten it produces violent madness, in beasts as well as men. A mouse will attack a lion after a taste of basilisk blood.”

Could this be a foreshadowing that the Sand Snakes will poison Tommen's cats, an assasination would be the best way to do it since it would not look well for Aegon to kill a child. I think the Martells are destined to repeat the same crime they suffered by Tywin.

That quote to me was to show us that Arya remembers Jaqen and has found out how he had Weese's dog kill him

But it would be a perfect way to kill Tommen since Margaery was the one who gave him the cats, Cersei will go insane and blame her for it and go on a rampage. Meanwhile Aegon will prove himself as a good potential king and no one will blame him for what happened in KL

I also believe Tommen and Myrcella are parallels for Aegon and Rhaenys and and they will all share similar fates (Cersei and Elia are also paralels imo).

furthermore, the World book sample

names Pyke as an example of a "natural disaster" of the type that the maester think broke the Arm and created the Stepstones, alongside the Doom of Valyria (which probably wasn´t a natural disaster, but rather caused by the Faceless men).

Maybe this is foreshadowing a new "natural disaster"

Add to that

"And krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys," said Valena.

I would like to thank tze for this one, krakens, the sigil of House Greyjoy, are mentioned in the same sentence as the Arm of Dorne that was broken by the Hammer of the Waters.

We also know from Victarion that eventually BR did deal with Dagon Greyjoy. I put it too far past BR to have threatened the Greyjoys that if they ever got into their shenanigans again, he would tear down Pyke like he did Whitewalls. He might make good on that threat.

from AFFC:

Could this be a foreshadowing that the Sand Snakes will poison Tommen's cats, an assasination would be the best way to do it since it would not look well for Aegon to kill a child. I think the Martells are destined to repeat the same crime they suffered by Tywin.

I doubt three kittens would be able to kill a boy, and if the Sand Snakes wanted to kill Tommen they would do better than that. I think the mouse could be the Mad Mouse, Ser Shadrich, being made to fight against the Lannisters.

Lorien I [King of the Rock] defeated Morgon. Morgon was said to be a necromancer (sounds like Morgoth + Sauron!), who apparently had thralls. When Morgon was defeated and captured, he told Lorien he would return from the grave and have his vengeance. Lorien had him cut up and fed to his lions; later, however, the lions escaped, and ate Lorien’s sons.

“I meant no harm, Captain. I love my uncle, as I know he loved my father.” Tyene went to one knee before the prince. “I have said all I came to say, Uncle. Forgive me if I gave offense; my heart is broken all to pieces. Do I still have your love?”

“Always.”

“Give me your blessing, then, and I shall go.”

Doran hesitated half a heartbeat before placing his hand on his niece’s head. “Be brave, child.”

“Oh, how not? I am his daughter.”

No sooner had she taken her leave than Maester Caleotte hurried to the dais. “My prince, she did not... here, let me see your hand.” He examined the palm first, then gently turned it upside down to sniff at the back of the prince’s fingers. “No, good. That is good. There are no scratches, so...”

“An old black tomcat with a torn ear,” Cersei told him. “A filthy thing, and foul-tempered. He clawed Joff’s hand once.”

Doran's placing his hand on the head of Tyene looks similar to stroking a cat. Maester Caleoette were afraid that there might be a poisoned spike which might kill Doran. I think Tyene might poison the pawns of the cats and a scratch might finish Tommen. I think Tommen's wound will be infected by the poison.

Archived