Moments of Foreshadowing 9

Mithras

Tyrion wears fAegon’s boy clothes which are too short in the arms and too long in the legs. This complies well with fAegon’s lanky build. Strangely, fAegon’s boy clothes have the colors of the Redwynes, burgundy and blue. Moreover, Tyrion finds a cask of strongwine from the private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne. The wine is dark purple which looks black occasionally. fAegon’s eyes are dark purple which look black occasionally.

So, the strongwine Tyrion drank represents Aegon.

But wait.

Dornish strongwines are actually dark red.

The wine was Dornish strongwine, dark as blood and sweet as vengeance.

rAegon is half Dornish and if he is to be associated with a strongwine, then it should be the blood red Dornish strongwine, as sweet as vengeance. It also befits rAegon as he is a real Targaryen which makes him a red dragon. However, the strongwine fAegon is associated with is purple and it looks almost black in the dim-lit cellar. This means fAegon is in fact a black dragon.

And add to that, if we're talking in relative to the first Dance, House Redwyne was on the side of the Greens, so this is another foreshadowing of Dany vs fAegon in Dance 2.0.

“Just so. And now you are a dead girl.”

“Watching is not seeing, dead girl.”

I have a hole where my heart should be, she [Arya] thought,

She [Arya] could feel the hole inside her where her heart had been.

“I have no heart. I only have a hole.”

When the babe at last came forth, she proved indeed a monster: a stillborn girl, twisted and malformed, with a hole in her chest where her heart should have been and a stubby, scaled tail. The dead girl had been named Visenya,

Rhaenyra’s stillborn daughter is called a monster, something into which Arya is transforming. In fact, this twisted and malformed monster having a stubby, scaled tail brings the image of the Stranger. The heart replaced with a hole is expressed exactly the same. And Arya was called a dead girl just like Visenya.

Why did GRRM name this dead girl Visenya and what does he want to project on Arya? Is it related to Dark Sister and Arya using it in the future? Or will there be more to Arya-Visenya parallel?

“Just so. And now you are a dead girl.”

“Watching is not seeing, dead girl.”

I have a hole where my heart should be, she [Arya] thought,

She [Arya] could feel the hole inside her where her heart had been.

“I have no heart. I only have a hole.”

When the babe at last came forth, she proved indeed a monster: a stillborn girl, twisted and malformed, with a hole in her chest where her heart should have been and a stubby, scaled tail. The dead girl had been named Visenya,

Rhaenyra’s stillborn daughter is called a monster, something into which Arya is transforming. In fact, this twisted and malformed monster having a stubby, scaled tail brings the image of the Stranger. The heart replaced with a hole is expressed exactly the same. And Arya was called a dead girl just like Visenya.

Why did GRRM name this dead girl Visenya and what does he want to project on Arya? Is it related to Dark Sister and Arya using it in the future? Or will there be more to Arya-Visenya parallel?

Arya's going to transform into a half-dragon monster, obviously. Calling it now. :P

The "dead girl" seems to me to be more foreshadowing that Arya will die. If you want to tie it to Visenya, it could just mean that Arya will die, too. If you're looking for a non-death angle, it could bear some relation to Dark Sister.

The other thing is that Jon was supposed to be the "Visenya," with his siblings being Aegon and Rhaenys. Arya does look like Jon, the "Visenya," so that's something.

Beneath the patter of the rain and Dog's barking, she could hear the faint clink of swords and mail from beneath their cloaks. She counted them as they came. Two, four, six, seven. Some of them were wounded, judging from the way they rode. The last man was massive and hulking, as big as two of the others. His horse was blown and bloody, staggering beneath his weight, All the riders had their hoods up against the lashing rain, save him alone. His face was broad and hairless, maggot white, his round cheeks covered with weeping sores.

Brienne sucked in her breath and drew Oathkeeper.

Seven, Brienne thought again, despairing.

She could not fight seven, not alone, even if one or two were wounded.

Believe this to be foreshadowing of a trial of seven Brienne will fight in. The description of Biter's appearance foreshadowing Robert Strong who will be in opposition. The wounded likely foreshadowing Loras.

"Have no fear, sers, your king is safe ... no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts through cheese.

Jaime later has issues cutting his food after he loses his hand and takes a cheeseknife to threaten Roose.

"I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right."

He did always want to be Ser Arthur, I think it's foreshadowing and will come to be in the trial.

In Jaime's dream he and Brienne are attacked by the ghosts of the five slain KGs (and Rhaegar).

If anyone else has already mentioned this, I apologize for repeating it. Haven't had time to keep up w/this thread lately.

Here is one I was thinking about today, and also have to apologize for not finding the text for you. Just thought it might be an interesting reminder about something from the books.

Remember when, Bran iirc, told a story about when Robb took Arya, Bran, and Rickon down to the crypts saying it was important to learn about their history? Then Jon jumps out of one of the sepulchers dressed as a ghost, scaring Rickon to running away in tears, Bran was frightened at first too but didn't run, and then Arya attacks the ghost for scaring the baby.

Imo this definitely foreshadowed Arya's personality (attacking threats to her family head on)... not sure about whether it has anything to do with attacking Jon as an assassin in TWoW or ADoS... but also what about Jon's ghost maybe showing up in the crypts? Does this mean Jon is dead for sure? And finally, Bran even though frightened at first, just observed until Arya revealed Jon's identity where Bran finally laughed at the joke. He is now an observer through the weirnet. What does Rickon's response foreshadow about his future personality or behavior?

snip

Rickon wasn't even born yet at the time. The one who ran was Sansa.

You have Jon as a ghost (the name of his direwolf) coming out of a crypt, perhaps foreshadowing Jon going into Ghost, and coming back from death.

Rickon wasn't even born yet at the time. The one who ran was Sansa.

You have Jon as a ghost (the name of his direwolf) coming out of a crypt, perhaps foreshadowing Jon going into Ghost, and coming back from death.

Thanks for correcting me. Yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering. Guess, trying to figure out how he comes back is a topic for a different thread, but the dual foreshadow of jon's becoming a ghost seems important. :)

eta: the fact that Sansa ran away is fairly predictive of her proclivity early in AGoT through the death of Ned to run from ugly realities, turning to her dreamy fantasies instead.

I don't know if anyone else stumbled upon this it's from an arya chapter in aSoS "[...] she saw Tom ,Lem, and Greenbeard talking to a tiny little woman [...]Her flesh was whiter , the color of milk, and it seemed to Arya that her eyes were red , though it was hard to tell from the bushes."The old gods stir and will not let me sleep." she heard the woman say."I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. I dreamt of a man without a face , waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted , with red tears on her cheeks , but when her eyes did open ,oh, i woke from terror [...]"

I think this is about Renly getting killed by a shadow assassin , foreshadows LSH resurrection and gives a definitive answer to how Balon died , by a faceless man on Euron's payroll.

What do you think?

I don't know if anyone else stumbled upon this it's from an arya chapter in aSoS "[...] she saw Tom ,Lem, and Greenbeard talking to a tiny little woman [...]Her flesh was whiter , the color of milk, and it seemed to Arya that her eyes were red , though it was hard to tell from the bushes."The old gods stir and will not let me sleep." she heard the woman say."I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. I dreamt of a man without a face , waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted , with red tears on her cheeks , but when her eyes did open ,oh, i woke from terror [...]"

I think this is about Renly getting killed by a shadow assassin , foreshadows LSH resurrection and gives a definitive answer to how Balon died , by a faceless man on Euron's payroll.

What do you think?

Yes, that is the canon interpretation of that vision noted by many posters.

“I can protect myself. Nuncle, I am a kraken. Asha, of House Greyjoy.” She pushed to her feet. “It’s my father’s seat I want, not yours. Those scythes of yours look perilous. One could fall and slice my head off. No, I’ll sit the Seastone Chair.”

Asha did not listen to Rodrik and pressed her claim, which would eventually got her killed. The Reader even suggested to name her his heir but Asha would not have it so.

I think Stannis might send Asha along with Theon and fArya to go to the safety of the CB. By this time, Weeper will be succesful in his attack to the Shadow Tower and put all the NW brothers to sword. Wildlings will rush through the gate open.

Weeper will capture the party coming North. Then, he will slay Asha on one-on-one combat by slicing her head off with his scythe. He will also blind Theon.

Martin foreshadows Arya's fate from AGoT throughout the other novels of the series. One way he does this - and I will provide only one example of a near 50 I have documented in the series. BEWARE SPOILER ALERT. "Arya MADE A FACE across the table when she thought no one was looking" (ACoK 327).

Martin foreshadows Arya's fate from AGoT throughout the other novels of the series. One way he does this - and I will provide only one example of a near 50 I have documented in the series. BEWARE SPOILER ALERT. "Arya MADE A FACE across the table when she thought no one was looking" (ACoK 327).

Nice.

GRRM had some serious foreshadowing in AGoT. It is interesting to see that how he had certain plot points in mind which were revelaed books later.

For example Nymeria fishing UnCat from the river was foreshadowed like this in AGoT:

Jon chuckled. “Perhaps you should do the same thing, little sister. Wed Tully to Stark in your arms.”

“A wolf with a fish in its mouth?” It made her laugh. “That would look silly.”

GRRM had some serious foreshadowing in AGoT. It is interesting to see that how he had certain plot points in mind which were revelaed books later.

For example Nymeria fishing UnCat from the river was foreshadowed like this in AGoT:

Jon chuckled. “Perhaps you should do the same thing, little sister. Wed Tully to Stark in your arms.”

“A wolf with a fish in its mouth?” It made her laugh. “That would look silly.”

The original plan would likely have had that in the same novel as fishing Cat from the river, or the end of one novel and beginning of the next. There is quite a lot of Lady Stoneheart nods early on, once you look back.

Can I also ask Fire Eater where to find his(?) theory on Tyrion as the husband of Dany? I would like to read it

In scenes set at HarrenHell in ACoK, Arya “assumes” a new identity and bonds with a “fast friend” Jaqen, a spiritual guide likely sent by the forces that are the old gods with the intent to direct Arya towards Braavos. Jaqen’s choice of words in the dialogue he has with Arya indeed echo the “content” of what Syrio Forel teaches her and foretells the “content” of the kindly man’s lessons.

SYRIO FOREL

Syrio tells Arya. “Just so. Opening the eyes is all that is needing. The heart lies and the head plays tricks with us, but the eyes see true. Look with your eyes. Hear with your ears. Taste with your mouth. Smell with your nose. Feel with your skin. Then comes the thinking afterward, and in that way knowing the truth” (AGoT 532).

KINDLY MAN

The kindly man tells Arya that if she stays at the HoB&W, “the Many-Faced God will take your ears, your nose, your tongue. He will take your sad grey eyes that have seen so much. He will take your hands and feet . . .” (ASoS 453).

In this the kindly man’s words are metaphoric: he will take Arya’s ears by rendering her “deaf” with a magic potion, and as a result of not being able to hear, Arya will train her other senses to be more acute to compensate for the hearing loss.

While in HarrenHell, these are threats that Arya faces while under the service of Weese, who owns the ugly dog. Martin evokes the five senses in these instances where Arya is menaced by Weese and his dog. Weese’s own threats to Arya foreshadow the means of his death.

OLFACTORY/SMELL

• Weese has “an ugly spotted dog that smelled worse than anything” (ACoK 457).
  • Weese tells his crew, “My nose never lies. When I sniff you, all I want to smell is fear” (421).
  • “Weese frowned at her, as if he smelled her secret” (554).

TASTE

• When Arya yawns, Weese says, “next time I see that mouth droop open, I’ll pull your out your tongue and feed it to my bitch (465). Here Weese threatens to take her tongue, essential to the taste buds.
  • “For a moment she had been a wolf again, but Weese’s slap left her with nothing but the taste of blood in her mouth. She’d bitten her tongue when he hit her(551).
  • Weese eats a capon that he promised to share with Arya, and Arya watches longingly, secretly resenting him as he licks his fingers. He then slaps Arya and pushes her to the floor.

AUDITORY/HEARING

• “He twisted her ear between his fingers to make certain she’d heard . . . “(465).
  • Arya eavesdrops on the “whispers” of others, some of it gossip.
  • She stays in the cellar of the Wailing Tower.

SEEING

• Keep those eyes to yourself, or next time I’ll spoon one out and feed it to my bitch” (554).
  • Arya sees horrors of many kinds at HarrenHell.
  • Also some foreshadowing: “If there were ghosts in Harrenhall, they never troubled her. It was the living men she feared (457).

TACTILE/FEELING

1. Weese beats Arya bloody often.
2. Arya awakes to the pointed toe of Weese’s boot kicking her.
3. Vargo Hoat is the threat to Arya’s limbs, for he likes to take body parts, like hands and feet.

Upon the arrival of Tywin and his army, Arya realizes that she has chosen the wrong recipient of her second death. As she races to find Jaqen, she hears the portcullis close: “its spikes sinking deep into the ground” (ACoK 555) , which conjures an image of a mouth snapping closed, the spikes serving as teeth. Then, Arya hears “a shriek of pain and fear” (ACoK 555).

Arya finds Weese “sprawled across the cobbles, his throat a red ruin, eyes gazing sightlessly up at a bank of grey cloud. His ugly spotted dog stood on his chest, lapping at the blood pulsing from his neck, and every so often, ripping a mouthful of flesh out of the dead man’s face (ACoK 555-556).

Someone shoots the ugly dog with a crossbow while the bitch “was worrying at one of Weese’s ears” (ACoK 556).

Clever Martin serves poetic justice to Weese in the twisted details of his death, making sure to address the body parts associated with sensory details: the “red ruin” of his throat prevents speech, especially if the vocal chords are severed; sightless eyes insinuate blindness, and the ugly dog is nibbling at an ear, the organ associated with hearing.

The ugly dog devours Weese’s face – appropo with Arya’s eventual relationship with the Faceless Men of Braavos. But the irony is that Weese threatened to remove Arya’s eyes and her tongue to feed to his bitch, and Weese twists Arya’s ear and pinches her nose; Martin brilliantly adds a karmic element to Weese’s comeuppance as his loyal dog turns against her master by punishing him with his own threats.

The “ugly dog” is a bitch, an interesting parallel that speaks to Arya’s very first magically-inspired “face” – the Ugly Girl.

The marriage of fArya to Ramsay seems to be Roose's plan. It is unclear at which point Barbrey Dustin got involved, but she was apparently in charge of the details of the wedding. Consider Theon's objection to his role as the closest male relative.

Why me?” he had asked when Lady Dustin told him he must give the bride away.

“Her father is dead and all her brothers. Her mother perished at the Twins. Her uncles are lost or dead or captive.”

“She has a brother still.” She has three brothers still, he might have said. “Jon Snow is with the Night’s Watch.”

“A half-brother, bastard-born, and bound to the Wall. You were her father’s ward, the nearest thing she has to living kin. It is only fitting that you give her hand in marriage.”

(The Prince of Winterfell, ADwD)

Does this mean Jon is dead now? :eek:

"I dreamed about the queen," he said. "I was on my knees before her, swearing my allegiance, but she mistook me for my brother, Jaime, and fed me to her dragons."

"Let us hope this dream was not prophetic.

The marriage of fArya to Ramsay seems to be Roose's plan. It is unclear at which point Barbrey Dustin got involved, but she was apparently in charge of the details of the wedding. Consider Theon's objection to his role as the closest male relative.

Does this mean Jon is dead now? :eek:

No, not even near it.

Oh man, please! If only to get rid of the Tyrion the dragonrider theories, and the part where Tyrion's the only person able to make saddles in Westeros, etc.

Archived