Moments of Foreshadowing 9

Mithras

The Ice spider thing potentially being more mundane then actual spiders made of ice. Jon has one of his seemingly prophetic dreams and he describes battling wights on top of the wall as:

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. “Snow, ” an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

The Ice spider thing potentially being more mundane then actual spiders made of ice. Jon has one of his seemingly prophetic dreams and he describes battling wights on top of the wall as:

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. “Snow, ” an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again.

This is an amazing passage from the books, and even though it is brought up a lot in various threads, I've never seen it dissected and discussed in depth. Would love to see that. If anyone has a link, I'd really appreciate it. :)

drogo the khal who never been defeated in a combat died due to simple cut and he had a help of wizard in tending those cuts

and we have another one who had a cut which got worse and tended by a wizard here too ...

is this foreshadow that victarian will die with wound getting better of him

I'm a bit confused with the used of the phrase "mark of the beast" in the books. This is specifically a biblical phrase so why is it being used in Westeros? It doesn't appear until ADWD and it is used by Janos Slynt and Jared Frey.

“Then you had best be on your way, boy.” Slynt laughed, dribbling porridge down his chest. “Greyguard’s a good place for the likes of you, I'm thinking. Well away from decent godly folk. The mark of the beast is on you, bastard.”

“No, unhand me. He’s just a boy, a bastard. His father was a traitor. The mark of the beast is on him, that wolf of his … Let go of me! You will rue the day you laid hands on Janos Slynt. I have friends in King’s Landing. I warn you—”

“And many more. Mine own son Tytos was amongst them, and my daughter’s husband. When Stark changed into a wolf, his northmen did the same. The mark of the beast was on them all. Wargs birth other wargs with a bite, it is well-known. It was all my brothers and I could do to put them down before they slew us all.”

One idea that came to me was that the mark of the beast is originally though to be the images of Roman emperors and their gods on coins. In Westeros they have dragons on their coins so the mark of the beast may foreshadow Targ heritage while the characters are talking about wargs.

Another thing it may foreshadow is a sort of religious intolerance towards warging and other northern magics. It may be that north and south will not be able to find peace while the faith has so much power and any Stark kid, or other warg, who wants to sort out Kings Landing will also have to fight the faith even if they have the same goals. To southron people the mark of the beast seem to mean that a person has to be killed.

I'm a bit confused with the used of the phrase "mark of the beast" in the books. This is specifically a biblical phrase so why is it being used in Westeros? It doesn't appear until ADWD and it is used by Janos Slynt and Jared Frey.

Then you had best be on your way, boy. Slynt laughed, dribbling porridge down his chest. Greyguards a good place for the likes of you, I'm thinking. Well away from decent godly folk. The mark of the beast is on you, bastard.

No, unhand me. Hes just a boy, a bastard. His father was a traitor. The mark of the beast is on him, that wolf of his Let go of me! You will rue the day you laid hands on Janos Slynt. I have friends in Kings Landing. I warn you

And many more. Mine own son Tytos was amongst them, and my daughters husband. When Stark changed into a wolf, his northmen did the same. The mark of the beast was on them all. Wargs birth other wargs with a bite, it is well-known. It was all my brothers and I could do to put them down before they slew us all.

One idea that came to me was that the mark of the beast is originally though to be the images of Roman emperors and their gods on coins. In Westeros they have dragons on their coins so the mark of the beast may foreshadow Targ heritage while the characters are talking about wargs.

Another thing it may foreshadow is a sort of religious intolerance towards warging and other northern magics. It may be that north and south will not be able to find peace while the faith has so much power and any Stark kid, or other warg, who wants to sort out Kings Landing will also have to fight the faith even if they have the same goals. To southron people the mark of the beast seem to mean that a person has to be killed.

Or maybe it's just a phrase the George borrowed to show that good gods fearing folk south of the Wall consider beastlings to be abominations.

Or maybe it's just a phrase the George borrowed to show that good gods fearing folk south of the Wall consider beastlings to be abominations.

This. I think you are overthinking it. In this context it is simply a slur for warg.

His melancholy ponderings were rudely interrupted when a troupe of painted dwarfs came bursting from the belly of a wheeled wooden pig to chase Lord Butterwell's fool about the tables, walloping him with inflated pig's bladders that made rude noises every time a blow was struck. It was the funniest thing Dunk had seen in years, and he laughed with all the rest. Lord Frey's son was so taken by their antics that he joined in, pummeling the wedding guests with a bladder borrowed from a dwarf. The child had the most irritating laugh Dunk had ever heard, a high shrill hiccup of a laugh that made him want to take the boy over a knee or throw him down a well. If he hits me with that bladder, I may do it.

Looks like good old Lord Walder Frey liked to terrorize wedding guests since he was 5. I wonder if Dunk's descendant Brienne throws him down a well.

In the Asha chapter The Wayward Bride, she gets a letter from Barrowton that has a piece of Theon's skin in it. She takes it and burns it over a candle. Could foreshadow his death and/or burning, though must believe he will be beheaded in front if a weirwood. What if he is tied to a weirwood and all is burned? Still count as a blood sacrifice?

His melancholy ponderings were rudely interrupted when a troupe of painted dwarfs came bursting from the belly of a wheeled wooden pig to chase Lord Butterwell's fool about the tables, walloping him with inflated pig's bladders that made rude noises every time a blow was struck. It was the funniest thing Dunk had seen in years, and he laughed with all the rest. Lord Frey's son was so taken by their antics that he joined in, pummeling the wedding guests with a bladder borrowed from a dwarf. The child had the most irritating laugh Dunk had ever heard, a high shrill hiccup of a laugh that made him want to take the boy over a knee or throw him down a well. If he hits me with that bladder, I may do it.

Looks like good old Lord Walder Frey liked to terrorize wedding guests since he was 5. I wonder if Dunk's descendant Brienne throws him down a well.

If the RW 2.0 happens then I can definitely see this being the final act.

“I dreamed that you were all in white from head to heel, with a long pale cloak flowing from those broad shoulders. You were a White Sword, ser, a Sworn Brother of the Kingsguard, the greatest knight in all the Seven Kingdoms, and you lived for no other purpose but to guard and serve and please your king.”

“I hope you will put more faith in what I tell you when you see the dragon hatch.”

“A dragon will hatch? A living dragon? What, here?”

“I dreamed it. This pale white castle, you, a dragon bursting from an egg, I dreamed it all, just as I once dreamed of my brothers lying dead. They were twelve and I was only seven, so they laughed at me, and died. I am two-and-twenty now, and I trust my dreams.”

Dunk was remembering another tourney, remembering how he had walked through the soft spring rains with another princeling. I dreamed of you and a dead dragon, Egg’s brother Daeron said to him. A great beast, huge, with wings so large, they could cover this meadow. It had fallen on top of you, but you were alive and the dragon was dead. And so he was, poor Baelor. Dreams were a treacherous ground on which to build.

In 236 AC, the fourth Blackfyre Rebellion, helmed by Daemon III, landed at Massey’s Hook. The Blackfyres had very little support, however, as people thought the Blackfyres to be done, as tattered as their banners. Tion died at the Battle of Wendwater Bridge. At the same battle, Duncan the Tall slew Daemon III Blackfyre. Bittersteel retreated across the Narrow Sea again, and the war was quickly over.

We know that Haegon was next in line after Daemon II and he might be the pretender in the third Blackfyre Rebellion. Daemon III of the fourth Blackfyre Rebellion might be a son of Haegon because it is ridiculous if Daemon I named his two sons as Daemon.

I think Daemon II got the vision really, really wrong. He compared this vision to the vision that he saw his brothers dying in the battle. The dragon that hatched in the vision was Egg. He put that white cloak on Dunk who eventually slew Daemon III. These visions were trying to warn Daemon II about the key figures in a future defeat.

So, the visions led to the second Blackfyre Rebellion caused the demise of the fourth Blackfyre Rebellion. This complies well with the nature of visions and prophecies.

Tyrions ADWD chapter after being take by Jorah:

He describes the Temple of The Lord of Light as "Fire turned to stone."

Could this be, through the power of the Lord of Light, foreshadowing that Fire will create the stone dragon (Jon)?

Night falls for all of us in the end, and too soon for some.

Last we heard of Nightfall weilding Harras Harlaw he was the new lord of Greyshield. I suggest him and his sword will be shedding some real Tyrell blood and sooner than in the end.

Some spoiler chapter stuff.

The little fix ups Mercy does for the play foreshadow what Arya will be doing when she gets to Westeros.

Mercy, her friend Daena implored, Lady Stork has stepped on the hem of her gown again. Come help me sew it up.

This is Arya being sent to clean up the Lady Stoneheart (Lady Stork) mess in RR, it will require infiltrating the BWBs.

She could stay with Hot Pie, or maybe Lord Beric would find her there. Anguy would teach her to use a bow, and she could ride with Gendry and be an outlaw, like Wenda the White Fawn in songs.

But that was just stupid, like something Sansa might dream.

Sansa will be the one doing the sending.

and then ran for needle and thread so the Snapper could sew the lace hem back onto the cloth-of-gold gown that the queen would wear in the wedding scene.

Arya will bring needle to fix the problem Lady Stork created so the queen can attend the wedding scene.

The end game here is Sansa will need RR cleared of the outlaws so that she can have Edmure reinstated, and as Roslin is likely to go the way of most Freys, Sansa will arrange Edmure a new marriage (that's the wedding scene) to further consolidate pro Northern sentiment. I'm thinking perhaps Jeyne Westerling.

It's also likely where Arya/Nymeria will have their first run in with Jaime as per the Sunfyre/Moondancer/Grey Ghost foreshadowing.

And where Arya will pick up Jon's KITN crown as per this one.

Mercy, boomed Izembaro the Great himself, what have you done with my crown, girl? I cannot make my entrance without my crown. How shall they know that Im a king?

She found Izembaros crown in the privy where he always left it and helped him pin it to his wig,

And I should add I believe taking something from the privy in foreshadowing terms = taking something from the dead. So for instance the dwarf stealing the dragon egg through the privy shaft = Tyrion taking a dragon from a dead person. And so it applies to the above example.

A possible clue for Aegon being fake

The magister had invited him to explore the manse. He found clean clothes in a cedar chest inlaid with lapis and mother-of-pearl. The clothes had been made for a small boy, he realized as he struggled into them. The fabrics were rich enough, if a little musty, but the cut was too long in the legs and too short in the arms, with a collar that would have turned his face as black as Joffrey’s had he somehow contrived to get it fastened. Moths had been at them too.

As he bathed, the girl washed his feet, scrubbed his back, and brushed his hair. Afterward she rubbed sweet-smelling ointment into his calves to ease the aches, and dressed him once again in boy’s clothing, a musty pair of burgundy breeches and a blue velvet doublet lined with cloth-of-gold.

Tyrion craned his head to one side, and saw a boy standing on the roof of a low wooden building, waving a wide-brimmed straw hat. He was a lithe and well-made youth, with a lanky build and a shock of dark blue hair. The dwarf put his age at fifteen, sixteen, or near enough to make no matter.

The lad was shorter than Duck, but his lanky build suggested that he had not yet come into his full growth. This beardless boy could have any maiden in the Seven Kingdoms, blue hair or no. Those eyes of his would melt them. Like his sire, Young Griff had blue eyes, but where the father’s eyes were pale, the son’s were dark. By lamplight they turned black, and in the light of dusk they seemed purple. His eyelashes were as long as any woman’s.

In the end, Tyrion chose a cask of strongwine marked as the private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne, the grandfather of the present Lord of the Arbor. The taste of it was languorous and heady on the tongue, the color a purple so dark that it looked almost black in the dim-lit cellar.

Tyrion wears fAegon’s boy clothes which are too short in the arms and too long in the legs. This complies well with fAegon’s lanky build. Strangely, fAegon’s boy clothes have the colors of the Redwynes, burgundy and blue. Moreover, Tyrion finds a cask of strongwine from the private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne. The wine is dark purple which looks black occasionally. fAegon’s eyes are dark purple which look black occasionally.

So, the strongwine Tyrion drank represents Aegon.

But wait.

Dornish strongwines are actually dark red.

The wine was Dornish strongwine, dark as blood and sweet as vengeance.

rAegon is half Dornish and if he is to be associated with a strongwine, then it should be the blood red Dornish strongwine, as sweet as vengeance. It also befits rAegon as he is a real Targaryen which makes him a red dragon. However, the strongwine fAegon is associated with is purple and it looks almost black in the dim-lit cellar. This means fAegon is in fact a black dragon.

Should we expect to see Rhaegal fighting Viserys in the upcoming dance?

Viserion's scales were the color of fresh cream, his horns, wing bones, and spinal crest a dark gold that flashed bright as metal in the sun. Rhaegal was made of the green of summer and the bronze of fall. They soared above the ships in wide circles, higher and higher, each trying to climb above the other.

Dragons always preferred to attack from above, Dany had learned. Should either get between the other and the sun, he would fold his wings and dive screaming, and they would tumble from the sky locked together in a tangled scaly ball, jaws snapping and tails lashing. The first time they had done it, she feared that they meant to kill each other, but it was only sport. No sooner would they splash into the sea than they would break apart and rise again, shrieking and hissing, the salt water steaming off them as theirwings clawed at the air.

Daenerys I, Storm

How about this possibility... Viserion will be wounded by a missle from Dragonbreaker at Meereen and Tyrion will nurse him back to health. Perhaps Victarion's horn will eork and he'll claim Rhaegal. Tyrion or Brown Ben will then ride against Victarion and Victarion will die and Rhaegal will return to the fold.

And there's this a few paragraphs later...

"How big will [Drogon] grow?" Dany asked curiously. "Do you know?"

"In the Seven Kingdoms, there are tales of dragons who grew so huge that they could pluck giant krakens from the seas."

Dany laughed. "That would be a wondrous sight to see."

Daenerys I, Storm

So it's likely that Daenerys will return to join Viserion in the fight with Drogon or soon thereafter and takevthe Iron Fleet for her own.

Wasn't there a recent reading clarifying that the IronIronmen fought for the Blacks in the Dance of Dragons?

Those other people don't know what they're talking about. :D

It wasnt supposed to be a dig at you :p

But on a more serious note, I reread that part today (ha!) and wondered if it would ever be revisited. I'm going to look carefully at Xaro's visit to her in Meereen I think, see if there is anything there

Some said they flew to Valyria, in defiance of the curse that hung over the smoking wasteland, to search out the secrets of the dragonlords of the old Freehold. Prince Daemon and Lady Laena flew first to Pentos, where they were feted by the city's prince . . . From there the prince and his bride crossed to Old Volantis where they enjoyed a similar welcome.

I think Dany and Tyrion will visit the ruins of Valyria. I think they will also find an ally in the new Prince of Pentos, the Tattered Prince, after the helped him take the city. I think they will find an ally in Volantis as well, leading a slave revolt in Volantis with the widow of the waterfront and a few former slaves as likely one of the new Triarchs.

Daenerys I, Storm

So it's likely that Daenerys will return to join Viserion in the fight with Drogon or soon thereafter and takevthe Iron Fleet for her own.

Wasn't there a recent reading clarifying that the IronIronmen fought for the Blacks in the Dance of Dragons?

I don't think Tyrion will directly confront Victarion, but wait until they meet Dany inform her of what Victarion did. She would be doing Tyrion's killing for him. Although, I do agree on Tyrion getting Viserion and Victarion getting Rhaegal.

I think Drogon will kill Victarion as well based on that quote.

Eventually, a Sorrowful Man will kill Daenerys...

Daenerys I, Storm

I don't think the foreshadowing points to Dany dying by assassination, but at the Wall by childbirth.

snip

Sansa is in no position to do any of that, and likely won't be. She doesn't have the authority to marry Edmure off, even if she did have the Vale. I also don't see Arya bumping into Sansa until the end.

Archived