The Cast - [Book + Episode Spoilers]

I quote a comment I just read on Reddit:

Unfortunately, the way TV contracts work basically forces you to show a character at least once a season if you want to keep the actor for the future. That's why we got the most pointless scene ever starring Yara Greyjoy. Lady Stoneheart needs to show up if they want to keep Michelle Fairley (or Oona Chaplin) for the role next season. That's why we got another Mountain recast this season and why Myrcella Baratheon will be recast next season.

This leaves me hopeful that LSH will be in this episode. If this is the way contracts work, they wouldn't keep Michelle Fairley for season 5 without giving her a scene in season 4. And I don't think LSH can be cut at all, since it's part of at least two storylines (Brienne's and Jaime, plus obviously her own), so they do need Fairley.

That quote isn't technically true (though I do think we'll get LS this season.). Game of Thrones doesn't actually take up much time for the actors, no doubt due to the fact that even main characters like Tyrion are unlikely to get more than 90 minutes per season. So it's actually not too difficult to get actors back after an absence, especially if it's in a guest star capacity like SH would be. We've already seen that with Barristan and Alliser Thorne. The Mountain being recast twice was because in the first instance Conan Stevens got a role in the Hobbit and in the second case Ian Whyte was really just a stand in anyway, who got a largely negative reaction.

Unfortunately, the way TV contracts work basically forces you to show a character at least once a season if you want to keep the actor for the future. That's why we got the most pointless scene ever starring Yara Greyjoy. Lady Stoneheart needs to show up if they want to keep Michelle Fairley (or Oona Chaplin) for the role next season. That's why we got another Mountain recast this season and why Myrcella Baratheon will be recast next season.

This leaves me hopeful that LSH will be in this episode. If this is the way contracts work, they wouldn't keep Michelle Fairley for season 5 without giving her a scene in season 4. And I don't think LSH can be cut at all, since it's part of at least two storylines (Brienne's and Jaime, plus obviously her own), so they do need Fairley.

But iirc we lost Barristan for a season in S2 no? And for all we know Lancel could come back next season

Agree, Bran II aDwD is wonderful. I can't wait to see how they show it :) Wonder if they will go down a Bran Meera affection? I hope so :wub:

That quote isn't technically true (though I do think we'll get LS this season.). Game of Thrones doesn't actually take up much time for the actors, no doubt due to the fact that even main characters like Tyrion are unlikely to get more than 90 minutes per season. So it's actually not too difficult to get actors back after an absence, especially if it's in a guest star capacity like SH would be. We've already seen that with Barristan and Alliser Thorne. The Mountain being recast twice was because in the first instance Conan Stevens got a role in the Hobbit and in the second case Ian Whyte was really just a stand in anyway, who got a largely negative reaction.

Also I imagine they informed Fairley about the plans for her character perhaps even sooner than s3, so it's not like it's a surprising info for her all of the sudden that she needs to come for 1-2 days to Ireland and shoot the scene

By that logic maybe we see Osha again as well?

That's not really set in stone. Ian McElhinney didn't appear in season 2 but returned in season 3. David Bradley, Owen Teale, Dominic Carter, Luke McEwan and Joser Altin all had seasons in-between where they didn't appear.

Ok, let's go back in topic :v

So, as per my previous post, if the assumption that for contractual reasons HBO has to cast the actors in at least one episode per season, it would make sense for Natalia Tena and Art Parkinson to have a scene in this episode. If Parkinson could easily be recast (as Tommen, Myrcella, etc), Tena definitely wouldn't.

Here, my part is done. :cool4:

Edit: I didn't think about those exceptions, obviously my hands are full of wishful thinking today. But I agree with Sati about Fairley being informed, I also recall reading about her having a dinner with producers after shooting the RW episode.

That's not really set in stone. Ian McElhinney didn't appear in season 2 but returned in season 3. David Bradley, Owen Teale, Dominic Carter, Luke McEwan and Joser Altin all had seasons in-between where they didn't appear.

True, and dont forget Joe Dempsie said he's not in S4 yet he will come back for S5.

I remember him saying that he isn't in season 4, but did he say that he'd be in season 5?

If this is to be believed:

I asked him about his role in this upcoming season and he revealed to me that he's not actually in this season at all, but that he's discussed with D & D and his character will be brought back in S5 'having seen things that have changed him'.

I haven't ready any of the threads yet so sorry if it had been mentioned. Just saw an interview with Anton Lesser (Qyburn) who said that he has a scene with unconscious Mountain in the final. So looks like we will see the birth of Robert Strong

Yes, it's going to be Qyburn working on The Mountain, showing his festering wounds, I'm very excited for this scene, Tyrion/Tywin showdown, & Bloodraven

If only I could get through a single night without an Episode 10 thread being locked or deleted, le sigh.

As for where Brienne has come from and where she is going it is difficult to say. While wandering around the wilderness looking for Stark children is what her character is all about, it is not all that visually interesting on the show. Many of my unsullied friends complain when a character spends too long wandering the countryside without a major plot development. The only reason I am hesitant for her to join up with BwB this season is that if she sees LS at the end then I have no idea how they will stretch her plot next season without taking from WoW (which seems unlikely as Jaime has stuff he needs to do).

All it means is that the option on the actor is still valid, so you can bring them back without renegotiating a new contract with new pay rates etc. Any actor who wants to come back can always come back even if they are missing for a season or two. But if an actor you're really afraid to lose is gone for a season, you run the risk that they won't come back unless you offer them a large raise.

Perfectly aware that IMDB isn't the most reliable source, no need to point that out.. I just refuse to discount that Osha is in listed in the cast of episode 10. Seems awfully random. Stannis and Davos for episode 9 was understandable, before it aired, I thought they would be in. But Natalia Tena hasn't even appeared this season. We're all very aware, believe me, I know.. But, I think the casual viewer could use a reminder of uh... Rickon's existence! Just a peak at Rickon and Osha already at Skagos making their way there.. Could really play off of the Bran stuff in ep 10. Like, they could make a slight mention.. 'I wonder if they are safe??' then BAM.. SKAGOS!.. I'm not sold that it's going to happen, just rambling here.. I'm just saying, I'd totally be in for this

Perfectly aware that IMDB isn't the most reliable source, no need to point that out.. I just refuse to discount that Osha is in listed in the cast of episode 10. Seems awfully random. Stannis and Davos for episode 9 was understandable, before it aired, I thought they would be in. But Natalia Tena hasn't even appeared this season. We're all very aware, believe me, I know.. But, I think the casual viewer could use a reminder of uh... Rickon's existence! Just a peak at Rickon and Osha already at Skagos making their way there.. Could really play off of the Bran stuff in ep 10. Like, they could make a slight mention.. 'I wonder if they are safe??' then BAM.. SKAGOS!.. I'm not sold that it's going to happen, just rambling here.. I'm just saying, I'd totally be in for this

While I agree it is worth noting the episode will already be super full and there is no book material to work with for a scene with them. Unless they plan to draw from WoW I don't really see a point to showing them.

Since the preview threads are locked and this is thread I can speak in.

1. STANNIS, STANNIS, STANNIS!!! SAVE THE DAY!!!!!!!!!

2. UnCat? I was told highly unlikely :(

3. Crossbolts and bowel movements

4. Don't let your chillen' play with Dragons . .

5. Meet Bloodraven, ohh I'm still alive, sort of . .

6. Arya heads to Braavos? Fight between Brienne and The Hound?

Who knows?

Archived