How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

@sj4iy, I'm really not sure... go through all the facts we know about every night's watch member besides Jon and Sam. Show-only facts. The list is short. They may be familiar faces but I'm not sure if the effect is powerful.

Total praise to John Bradley though. Some lines I thought were cheesy, but delivered in such a Samwell way I liked them.

I talked with my mil afterwards, and she thought the deaths (other than Ygritte's) we're pretty shocking and sad. And she's not even that good with names.

Certainly not the blockbuster we were led to believe Episode 9 was going to be as past episode 9s were and certainly no where near a 9 rating. I gave it a 7 and had to struggle to do that. Lowest rating Ive ever felt for an episode.

First GOT ever that bordered on boring and tedious for me. An overlong (although well done) battle with little done in an entire episode to advance the storyline IMHO. Giants and mammoths were the bright spots and I even found myself liking Ser Allister Thorne. Slynt acting that way was, well, Slynt.

Ive never carred for Rose Leslie in this part while I loved Ygrette in the books so her death lacked impact. Did it have to be by the hand of a peasant boy who had probably never touched a bow before and was barely big enough to pull one of that power? The irony of leting him live in the raid by the Thenn and him then killing her was lazy and cheesy IMHO. Better not to have seen who fired the arrow than that.

Speaking of cheesy, was there a red light special at K-Mart on the rigs for killing someone by an ax or hammer to the head and then holding it there? Once OK but two weeks in a row?

The ending? MEH!!! This whole episode has me fearing for next week. I expect a rushed, choppy episode with no real tension and a lackluster cliffhanger if there even is one.

I havent read any other posts in this thread yet so off to see if others agree with me in any way.

Actually, you know what irks me most about Grenn's death? We didn't see it. We didn't see a human/giant brawl fight. It's just like the season 2 end/season 3 beginning nonsense. Set up something big, go back to it when its over for... budget cuts, maybe? I feel like that proves Grenn's death was for shock value.

We don't get to see Donal Noye fight the giant in the book either.

I enjoyed the episode but killing so many characters who are still alive in the coming books makes me wonder whether D&D expect this to be the final season.

It's already been picked up for at least 2 more seasons. The characters that died were just merely not important to the story.

Actually, you know what irks me most about Grenn's death? We didn't see it. We didn't see a human/giant brawl fight. It's just like the season 2 end/season 3 beginning nonsense. Set up something big, go back to it when its over for... budget cuts, maybe? I feel like that proves Grenn's death was for shock value.

Noye vs Mag the Mighty was "off screen" in the books too though.

We didn't get to see Donal's death, sure, but I don't think we got to see the second right before his death either. A lot of the stuff we don't "see" in the books we can see in the show. One benefit I can definitely give the show, although sometimes they waste it horribly (Loras and Sansa wedding talk anyone?) I'm just saying, why tease a giant vs humans brawl when only the aftermath is shown?

We didn't get to see Donal's death, sure, but I don't think we got to see the second right before his death either. A lot of the stuff we don't "see" in the books we can see in the show. One benefit I can definitely give the show, although sometimes they waste it horribly (Loras and Sansa wedding talk anyone?) I'm just saying, why tease a giant vs humans brawl when only the aftermath is shown?

I hear you, although I'm not sure I'd have wanted to see Grenn get crushed to death by a giant tbh. And the scene he was saying the oath was a perfect send off imo.

After reading the thread I lowered my vote a 6. The small number of attackers, the Giant entering the tunnel alone, not seeing the fight with giant. Also, I really liked the ambiguity of whether Jon killed Ygritte that happens in the books. Did he do it or not? Of course, D and D are not that subtle nor that good at writing.

Also, I really liked the ambiguity of whether Jon killed Ygritte that happens in the books. Did he do it or not? Of course, D and D are not that subtle nor that good at writing.

Jon knew he didn't kill Ygritte. The arrow feathers were a different color.

I agree the episode really could've used Stannis's arrival. Episode 10 is going to be absolutely insanity as it is. Why did they feel the need to push Stannis up?

I dono know, they probably wanted to end the season with Stannis' triumphant arrival to save the Nights Watch, but they really could have done that in this episode.

I'm sure it'll be a great scene next week, however, moving it to such a jam-packed episode will diminish it's importance IMHO.

Wanted to give it an 8, but am bumping it up to a 9 to counter all the haters (and wow I need to be careful about reading these threads - anything except the positive nitpicking & foreshadowing threads start to make me feel like I didn't enjoy the show that I'd just thoroughly enjoyed).

I wasn't particularly looking forward to this episode, because I didn't think the show had done enough to make me care about the characters at the Wall - yet I was very pleasantly surprised by how much the battle mattered. In terms of cinematography, far more cool shots than at Blackwater, and visually far clearer.

Reminded me a lot of the experience of watching The Two Towers: spent the whole episode eagerly awaiting a scene that didn't yet happen (Stannis + Shelob), and was initially annoyed that the long-expected scene didn't happen. So I was initially disappointed, just by the ending - but have now decided I liked the episode a lot. I'm still not sure why they didn't bring Stannis in this week, but we'll see what happens next week.

Hopefully someone drops their vote a point just because of other people voting not how they feel, but as counters to others.

It really polarizes the results when people vote with agendas. Just vote what you really feel about the episode, and don't worry about what anyone else says.

I voted 8.

It was certainly the most entertaining episode of the season, and I recognise the value of ending with Jon's decision to nobly walk out to his certain death, but it's no blackwater because this episode was basically 50 minutes making the journey from "we're doomed" to "we're doomed". After maintaining the dread for 50 minutes, the time was ripe for Stannis to have his moment- his blackwater revenge episode. Now, all that atmosphere will be lost between now and next week and I for one will care that little bit less by separating that moment of dread for the entire NW, from that moment of salvation. Now they will have to build it all again, and during a ceasefire, I doubt that will be possible.

Seriously, if we get a 5 minute sojourn next week, somewhere inbetween wrapping out heads around Uncat, Bran's Hodoring, the COTF, Tyrion's wife backstory, Shaes' death, or Tywins death to return to the wall, it will be totally cramped for style. Oh btw- Jons in a tent and heres Stannis on a horse- end scene. This week was the perfect moment for Stannis- newt week, he will be a small fish in a big pond.