[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick Without Repercussion

I hate the boss fights. Like everyone important is made a boss and to kill a boss, you must be another boss.

:agree: I would have loved to see Styr go down like the Germanic warlord at the start of gladiator (if you check the link, put it on mute because they changed the music into something absolutely shitty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_Y5cRtji4#t=00m12s

Yeah. The inconsistency of their characters in particular is one of the most annoying flaws of the show. Jaime is the most bizarre example of this, since he regularly shifts between "cousin murdering for no reason psychopath-rapist" and the misunderstood antihero from the books between different scenes. But there are tons of others.

And the total lack of acknowledgement between these wildly personalities set forth by the same people is vexing as well. Tyrion goes from the incredibly angry, bitter man we see at the end of his trial to a jovially depressed guy in an episode. Jaime, like you say, goes from a rapist to a man seeking justice in the same amount of time. No one, least of all themselves, takes note of these huge swings in personality.

Nah, Littlefinger and Stannis are worse IMO

Jon has been belittled and degraded at every turn. While I agree that LF batman voice is a problem and Sansa embarrassing him in front of the Vale lords is bad, what they've done to Jon is that X 50.

Stannis is really bad, agreed, but he just hasn't had the sheer amount of airtime and disrespect that Jon has had.

I don't know why people keep harping on that anvil thing. Theon got hit by a morning star and just got a little winded. And Ramsey showed up to the fight naked. Main characters have plot armor, get over it.

Actually the Jon/ Thenn boss fight was one of the highlights of the episode for me. It was much better than the one last episode, because no one was drunk or practising for the ballet. They did have the no helmets rule strictly enforced but this doesn't really bother me much these days.

Who handles the editing for the episodes? We lay a lot of blame on directing and writing but it seems to me that the major problem is with the way the episodes are spliced together. It's glaring in the fact that these last few haven't even made it to the proper time length. Scenes are being cut too short or the weakest takes are being chosen and the way they are pasted together is often jarring and incoherent.

I'm not particularly a Stannis fan but I was really hoping to see him charge in and save the day.

I don't get this Jon walking out to parle with Mance. Why would they let him back and not either kill him or take him hostage at this stage of fighting?

Jon has been belittled and degraded at every turn. While I agree that LF batman voice is a problem and Sansa embarrassing him in front of the Vale lords is bad, what they've done to Jon is that X 50.

Stannis is really bad, agreed, but he just hasn't had the sheer amount of airtime and disrespect that Jon has had.

Know what, quite a challenge you posted, it seems. And you certainly have a very strong case, because TV Jon really is a joke of epic proportions (the only epic thing about him). However, in regards to efficiency in misinterpreting a character, I think the award goes to Mel. Like, in the books she's nothing if not intimidating. Every now and then we're reminded everyone's scared of her. Even though she is attractive, she frightens the living hell out of everyone. In the show - is anyone frightened by her?! Is she able to pull anything without seducing or bribing someone? Not to mention that, due to her importance for the overall characterization in Stannis' arc, changes to Mel effectively altered that entire storyline. And D&D managed all that with her limited screentime. Impressive.

I'll throw one more challenger against your boy Jon: Ramsay. Like, Jon at least had the beginning of his own story, while Ramsay was robbed of his. And he's philosophical! And he makes long-term plans that are both too elaborate and too stupid (posing as Theon's helper)! And his voice: they couldn't find an actor whose voice is not squeaky! Or what about Sandor? Jon at least didn't witness his iconic lines given to other characters.

I get what you're saying about Jon, but it'd be heartless to disregard the suffering of other characters. It appears every single character is somewhat misinterpreted in the show, with a possible exception of Hodor (I'm excluding Kevan and Greatjon, because they didn't have enough screentime to "develop"). Looks like D&D's scythe is merciless.

And the total lack of acknowledgement between these wildly personalities set forth by the same people is vexing as well. Tyrion goes from the incredibly angry, bitter man we see at the end of his trial to a jovially depressed guy in an episode. Jaime, like you say, goes from a rapist to a man seeking justice in the same amount of time. No one, least of all themselves, takes note of these huge swings in personality.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The truth is that deviations from the book generally have no consequences in the show.

• Arya interacts heavily with Tywin, but her characterisation stagnates, and two seasons later there is no indication that anything that happened between them had an impact on her character. Similarly, whilst the scenes present Tywin in a different perspective to what we otherwise see of him, they are ultimately contradictory to his characterisation.

The Red Waste and Qarth. In ACoK, Dany finds Vaes Tolorro and settles there, and then she chooses to go to Qarth after sending her bloodriders in various directions. In the show, Qarth is her only choice to escape the Red Waste. But this hasn't had an impact on any of her decisions. How could Dany spend so long helpless in the Red Waste watching her people die, and become dependent on the Qartheen only to be betrayed (and watch more of her people die), without it seriously affecting any future decision she makes?

Well, even the Qarth mess itself. Dany's dragons are kidnapped and she fights to get them back, but Jorah honestly believes she plans to sell one of them in Astapor? Dany is completely betrayed in Qarth by Xaro, Doreah and Pyat Pree... and yet she never shows concern about being betrayed in the show - she even walks unprotected into a crowd of Yunkai'i where she could have been killed (in ASoS, she only rides beyond her guards because she remembers her vision from the House of the Undying and knows she's safe, and later when she rides amongst them again whilst besieging Meereen she pays dearly for it as she is nearly killed).

I could list SO many more examples, but writing about these few has actually just made me so much more disappointed, and I think I got the point across. Ultimately, the show deviates from the books, but it doesn't support those deviations by allowing them to have an impact on the characters or future events. If the show itself doesn't take them seriously in the long-term, why should viewers?

The Giant let loose two arrows one caused severe damage and the other one sent a NW flying 100 metres it's so inaccurate or Mance could have won the war just by getting a few giants to shoot arrows while another one or two battered through the gate.

The problem with this episode, as with every episode this season, is that the show is unwilling to do its own thing.

The showrunners repeatedly change, alter, or remove relatively small details from the story; but they refuse to allow these changes to have a logical effect on the plot.

Thus when you step back and look at the actions of the characters, they all seem downright idiotic. Why was the castle so lightly held when everyone knew the Wildling's plan to strike from both sides? Why has the Watch seemingly done absolutely nothing to prepare for an attack they've known about for weeks at least?

And then you just have good, old fashioned, ill thought out scenes. Lets let those mammoths and giants toy with our gates for a little. Lets put the weakest, most unreliable person we have at our disposal in charge of the only way to travel from the Wall to the castle. Lets make camp literally 100 yards away from our enemy, who we are trying to sneak up on. Also lets build a fire and post no sentries or even pay attention to our camp's perimeter.

We should really sit down with Mance and discuss how he was able to ignite a forest fire well over a mile in diameter in a frozen wasteland.

Really see no reason why the parlay with Mance/arrival of Stannis couldn't have been done this episode. I mean if we absolutely need to spend about 45 minutes a season on Sam and Gilly, two strikingly uninteresting characters, why not spread that out a little? Why did we need to jam 5-8 minutes of already covered topics(Sam likes Gilly, Gilly likes Sam, the Wildlings murder people) into this already packed episode? And we definitely needed another rehash of Jon and Sam awkwardly discussing sex. We always need more of that.

Yep. I agree w/all of this.

We didn't need another long segment w/the wildlings so Ygritte can say again how she wants to kill everyone, and definitely didn't need so much Sam and Gilly. LOL, unless Sam is the prince that was promised afterall.

And yes, yes, yes, the show changes the plot, but there is never a logical outcome of those changes....the "Asha" saving Theon and then running away leaving him still a captive was probably the worst of these change/but no change maneuvers.

I think next week's nitpick thread will be epic. There is a guy on IMDB who claims to have seen the episode and is giving spoilers. Now, he's probably bullshitting (though last year there was a guy who could describe certain shots from the RW before it had aired), but if he's not, than these boards will fucking melt down. And it will be violent

Claims from that guy:

A+J= T confirmed. That's why I know it's certainly BS, but imagine if D&D took a dump like that on the source material? Oh, and Brienne would apparently bite the Hounds ear of and break his leg. This is BS (Sandor would crush her) but it's bull shit that I could see D&D write into the story. It's the kind of lame screw up they do all the time.

I think next week's nitpick thread will be epic. There is a guy on IMDB who claims to have seen the episode and is giving spoilers. Now, he's probably bullshitting (though last year there was a guy who could describe certain shots from the RW before it had aired), but if he's not, than these boards will fucking melt down. And it will be violent

Claims from that guy:

A+J= T confirmed. That's why I know it's certainly BS, but imagine if D&D took a dump like that on the source material? Oh, and Brienne would apparently bite the Hounds ear of and break his leg. This is BS (Sandor would crush her) but it's bull shit that I could see D&D write into the story. It's the kind of lame screw up they do all the time.

I find it hard to believe A/J would be in there.

But, I agree the nitpick next week will be epic.

And it looks like Brienne is going to fight the Hound. WTF? Why? Do they have to make every single character stupider in the show?

I still am undecided on if they will show LS. I thought the Sansa monologue about her mother being thrown in the river was a strong clue for yes, but who knows with these guys.

GRRM wouldn't allow such a giveaway. Although after the Other revelation i'm not entirely sure.

Could you imagine the rage? Hell, I wouldn't just be pissed at D&D, I would be pissed of at GRRM. That would be the lamest twist ever! Worse than Jojenpaste

I find it hard to believe A/J would be in there.

But, I agree the nitpick next week will be epic.

And it looks like Brienne is going to fight the Hound. WTF? Why? Do they have to make every single character stupider in the show?

I still am undecided on if they will show LS. I thought the Sansa monologue about her mother being thrown in the river was a strong clue for yes, but who knows with these guys.

What I find the most worrysome is that they'll probably have Brienne fight the Hound and win. Just so fucking unnecessary, Brienne is good but she's nowhere near the Hound. He beats her in every single aspect of combat (intelligence, size, speed, strength, viciousness, agility, endurance) but I could see D&D letting him lose to Brienne.

Archived