Prince of Fools (Spoilers)

unJon

Same world, same time, very different character. Perhaps more traditional. Think Harry Flashman from the Flashman books rather than Alex from A Clockwork Orange.

Now that's awesome! The author of the book answers my question. I am ordering it on Amazon Kindle now! Love your writing and Jorg is one of my favorite characters. Truly, your a class act Mr. Lawrence!

Just finished The Liar's Key. Easily the best book by Lawrence to date imo. I cannot remember the last time a fantasy novel made me laugh out loud this much. Probably never.

The ending was fantastic as well. I was chuckling hard, "perfect" was the first thought that flashed through my mind. :lol:

To be fair, £1.66 of that is VAT that Amazon charge then steal from the government.

Of the remaining £8.31 Amazon take £2.49

Of the remaining £5.82 Voyager take £4.36

Of the remaining £1.46 my agent takes 22 pence

Of the remaining £1.24 the tax man takes 25 pence

So I get 99 pence. Which seems like quite a modest sum for a copy of a book on release day, especially when it's the longest I've written and took me 12 months labour...

to be clear i don't expect you to be the one to take the hit. however this is very expensive compared to the prices of books written by your peers, so amazon and voyager (especially) can take the hit..

• 2 weeks later...

God Damn Forbidden Planet, Bristol. They still don't have any copies (let alone) signed ones on the shelves. I'm having to read graphic novels as I don't want to start another book knowing I'm eventually going to embark on Liar's key as soon as I can get it. I'll give them until tomorrow and then I'll say "f" it and just get it from Amazon or waterstones.

God Damn Forbidden Planet, Bristol. They still don't have any copies (let alone) signed ones on the shelves. I'm having to read graphic novels as I don't want to start another book knowing I'm eventually going to embark on Liar's key as soon as I can get it. I'll give them until tomorrow and then I'll say "f" it and just get it from Amazon or waterstones.

I'm scheduled to sign stock in there tomorrow :) I plan to hit Waterstones Galleries around 10 then walk up the hill to Forbidden Planet ~10.30/11 They probably have the copies boxed and waiting, so not on the shelves.

I'm scheduled to sign stock in there tomorrow :) I plan to hit Waterstones Galleries around 10 then walk up the hill to Forbidden Planet ~10.30/11 They probably have the copies boxed and waiting, so not on the shelves.

Cool - I guess I can blame you :P

I'll swing by tomorrow lunch time/after work. Hope your hand can handle all the signing - that and park street probably qualifies as a work out.

Just wanted to comment on the thread that one of my favorite authors is participating in and mention how sick TLK is. For what ever reason, and I don't recall it being mentioned in POF, I loved finding out how The Red March got its name. To me, that was pure icing. Keep those words and world coming, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to comment on the thread that one of my favorite authors is participating in and mention how sick TLK is. For what ever reason, and I don't recall it being mentioned in POF, I loved finding out how The Red March got its name. To me, that was pure icing. Keep those words and world coming, thanks.

Great to hear, thanks :)

I had worried that The Liar's Key might be my weakest book, but lots of people are calling it my best so far ... so what do I know?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the book right now after getting sidetracked with an avalanche of work. I am very pleased. I cannot even remember the last time the second book in a series improved on the first. That is quite the rare feat. I will add to those saying it was the author's best work. 

I suppose my only disappointment is just finding out that the series will only be a trilogy.

Here is hoping the Red Sister will be as entertaining as the Prince of Fools.

(Incidentally, did anyone else really appreciate the Author's Note? When you read as many books as I do, having that to refresh my memory was invaluable. How I wish other authors did the same.)

Finished Liar's Key which was quite fast for me. Normally I take more time.

It's a well written book and one can really see the development from the first Broken Empire Book on forward of the world, of the writing style and so on. It may be a clichee that later books get longer (see GRRM :))), but it's not bad per se. On the contrary, the first books all were plotted so fast that one flew through the world whereas the Liar's Key has much more of this descriptive side. But one can still where the plot races on - see Hennan leaving his family which is not much discussed or the days and weeks of Jalan as a banker. Compare this to the first etappes of sailing down the coast and you get a real backloaded book.

I do kinda miss the non-linearity & "deep" "thoughtful" quotes of the Thorns-series. That style created a kind of webbed athmosphere that was very interesting, whereas the Fools-series is much more straightforward. But Jalan is much more comprehensible as a character with his "running away" than Jorg's cold calculated stance. I still don't trust Kara, but she is kinda right that she's only just as much a witch as the Silent Sister is. Speaking of which, I must agree that she has lost a lot of intrigue in this book and needs some victory of her own in the next book - or maybe that's just intentional?

I'm still of the opinion that the action-packed nature of the 5 books so far would lend themselves quite excellently to a series-adaption ;)

To be fair, £1.66 of that is VAT that Amazon charge then steal from the government.

Of the remaining £8.31 Amazon take £2.49

Of the remaining £5.82 Voyager take £4.36

Of the remaining £1.46 my agent takes 22 pence

Of the remaining £1.24 the tax man takes 25 pence

So I get 99 pence. Which seems like quite a modest sum for a copy of a book on release day, especially when it's the longest I've written and took me 12 months labour... 

An improvement from the 16 pence that you were getting before (read it on your blog and was dissapointed on how small money the authors get compared to the money their books generate).

I cannot even remember the last time the second book in a series improved on the first. That is quite the rare feat. I will add to those saying it was the author's best work. 

Most people seem to be of the opinion that King of Thorns improved on Prince of Thorns...

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/best-book-of-trilogy.html

• 5 months later...

Just finished Emperor of Thorns and will get into the second set shortly.

Being cautious about reading posts in here to avoid spoilers, just wanted to poke my head in here and say that there's one more fan out there now and express my extreme dismay that the board transition lost much of what was discussed in the now archived Emperor of Thorns thread.  Anytime someone quoted another poster, whatever they had to say was gone... so I could never tell what Lawrence was saying.  But then when someone would later quote that post; I could see it.  So I have no idea what most of the discussion was about.

I did see a passing mention that someone else may have theorized like I did that CERN may have been involved in the reality shift, but the original post detailing said speculation was gone.  Hate to have lost all that discussion.  I run behind many posters on these boards for some series, so I like to go back and catch up on discussion.  :(

Anyways, though, I plan to be caught up before book three of this series releases and maybe I can join in the reindeer games too.

Archived