Positive "Nitpicking" - What did you LOVE about the finale? [NO SPOILERS]

shiola

The show-off between the Hound and Arya might be one of my favourite things about the episode, especially because I absolutely hate that they had Brienne 'kill' the Hound. The thing between Stannis and Jon, that they mentioned Ned Stark again.. :wub: Let's not forget the burning of Ygritte, after Tormund mentioned it to Jon. And the burning of the Night's Watch men.

Now that I think of it, I kinda loved more parts than I thought I would.

This was a sad episode and moving in several places. Jon burning Ygritte, she was oddly very beautiful lying on the pyre. I like that Mance and Tormund both acknowledged the real love in that relationship b/n those two.

I thought Dany's scene and locking up the dragons was right on point and utterly heartbreaking. Seeing Pyp and Green. Sigh!

I enjoyed most of Bran's stuff. It was exciting.

I like the fight b/n Brienne and the Hound.

I enjoyed the initial arrival of Stannis' army, coming in on both sides.

The creepy look Melissandre gave Jon and his discomfort when he saw her looking at him.

I enjoyed seeing Arya sail away from Westeros though it did break my heart a bit, especially when her initial thought was to go North to her brother.

Arya and the Hound and his 'death' scene. Arya's stone cold face the entire time he's begging for mercy.

I loved the Brienne vs. Hound fight, but Arya leaving the hound was more emotional than even Tryion's plot line.

Reading the book I understood the humanity under the Hounds skin, and saw the travels with Arya as a wonderful and odd buddy trip.

But Rory's portrayal of the Hound really transformed the character, from his interactions with Sansa to the grand road trip he made me really invested in the character and dread the point where Arya leaves him. I think that the show gave him a much more fitting "end?" than the book, I like that he goes down in a fight rather than just felled by infection. The sadness of him trying to goad Arya into mercy was great writing and acting.

I believe that had I not read the books I would have been in love with almost every scene this episode.

That being said I loved a lot:

Cersei's scenes were just fantastic, got me suddenly very excited for her next season. The addition of her threatening to reveal the secret, and telling Tywin about it was a fantastic addition and really makes Tywin's death pitiable- To have tried so long to uphold something all supported on a lie, with your children hating you. It almost came across like in his weakness from this encounter he called upon Shae to try and forget, only to be murdered on the toilet, realizing his legacy would amount to nothing. Obviously he is an awful human being but he had believable ambitions and desires so it feels tragic, especially since Tyrion is losing himself simultaneously.

The Mountain setup with appreciated. I really like Qyburn and am glad he wasn't cut.

Mance is great, very real character despite how little screen time he's had. His exasperation was perfect, and the show captured how seriously he was owned, but still made him look like a badass.

Melisandre/Stannis and Jon was setup very nicely and quickly. The wall should finally be a good storyline for the first time since season 1.

Dany's scenes being reasonably brief and nowhere near the ending for once was great.

While contrived, the actual fight between Brienne/Sandor was excellent and extremely intense, especially the final moments.

The hounds dialogue while lying there was great. Really makes me hope we do see more of him.

• The devastating pincher-charge of King Stannis’s élite heavy cavalry making mincemeat of the ragtag wildings: an army of wolves come upon starving rabbits. The graphics were magnificent, believable, and awsome beyond measure. The utterly tight formation of the professionals. The banners. The horns.

• Mance Rayder finally showing the acting chops that his actor brings to the rôle. “You’re not just dressed for the weather.” “We do not kneel.” Jon and Mance toasting their dead together, first in spirit then in flame.

Jon Snow: “I know he’s the king. My father died for you.” Stannis asking and taking Jon’s counsel.

Maester Aemon Targaryen: “And now their watch is ended.” All the young faces.

Ygritte’s spirit being given up into the Old Gods’ keeping.

The Lady Melisandre in fascination regarding Jon through the pyre’s flames, perhaps catching the first glimpses of his great destiny.

Ser Barristan’s prediction that they will be slaves in name only. Drogon’s prey. The Breaking of Chains become now the Binder of Chains.

The great weirwood bathed in epic lighting. The carven face upon it ghaving three eyes not two.

Leaf of the Children wielding fireballs against the ice-zombies. For the earth itself contains hidden fire, and those who sing the Song of the Earth will draw upon that sacred fire from Earth’s core at direst need against their ancient foe, the servants of ice. This is the Song of Ice and Fire writ large before our eyes. Remember that hers are the people whose power broke the Arm of Dorne into the Stepstones, hers that created the Neck. Born in the time of the dragon, for two hundred years Leaf walked the world of men, watching and listening.

The murderous skeletons shattering at the warded threshold. You shall not pass indeed, quoth the Wizard in the Tree.

Maester Aemon’s grand-uncle the Lord Brynden Targaryen Rivers: “I have watched all of you and your families with a thousand eyes and one.” “You will not walk, Brandon Stark, but you will fly.”

Qyburn’s can-do attitude trouncing Pycelle the toady’s do-nothingness. “He might be changed.” “Will he be weaker?” Qyburn gleefully “Oh no, Your Grace!”

Cersei standing up to Tywin; Tywin willfully disbelieving her confession that destroyed all he had worked for.

Brienne and Arya. The smiles, the admiration. Their connection through Catelyn. “Why didn’t you protect her?”

Arya not falling into Sandor’s trap to trick her into giving him the gift. Arya taking the Hound’s stolen gold off from him as his gift to her but denying hers to him.

Shae getting entirely the wrong lion.

Jamie acting out of true honor when no other would, remembering his knightly vow to protect the innocent even at his own peril. Jamie kissing Tyrion good bye, genuine fraternal love at truly its finest hour.

Tywin: “You are my son.” Tywin deducing that Jamie freed Tyrion.

Varys to Tyrion: “What have you done?”

Varys hearing the city’s awful bells tolling now for Tywin, realizing he too must leave.

Arya riding. The long shots.

Mining the salt.

The Bravosi captain in a Bravosi accent: “Of course you shall have a cabin.”

The figurehead at the ship’s prow; Arya bravely standing there, sailing away into the future.

The music throughout.

Three times I wept.

• Loved

- all Bran's part, (not really Jojen's death, because I was sad about it)

- the scene with Mance and Jon and the toasts to the deads

- Stannis and Davos arrival

- Brienne and the Hound fight

- Jaime and Tyrion's farewell, that was very touching, but at the same time I didn't like the fact that was rushed and missed some important lines IMO

- Varys getting back and hearing the bells and changing his mind going to the boat with Tyrion

- and finally Aria's moment with the Hound, that was very hard, and the chance that he may survive it.

Loved the NW's "And now their watch is ended", Daenerys and the dragons - I actually teared up as much as she did, all of Bran, Brienne and Sandor, but the best was Arya. In a totally fucked up way, Sandor has been one of the best guides for survival for both Stark girls and Arya certainly took his lessons all season to heart last night.

I thought the actor playing Sandor did a magnificent job as he lay near death, asking Arya to administer "mercy". I've loved his character all along, both in the TV series and in the books, but I thought the expression in his eyes, right before she left him, when he pleaded for her to kill him, changed ever so slightly but so very expressively.

Weeell, there were quite a few things this time.

- Daenerys locking up and chaining Viserion and Rhaegal. It was amazingly played, I always feel like that when I have to chain up my dog because they chased a biker on the street or tried to bite a repairman's ankle.

- I don't usually like Stannis, but for once, it was good to see him.

- The entire Brienne-Pod-Hound-Arya scene. Arya was fucking amazing, and the Hound too and it was very very good to have them in one scene because this was the only way I could find out which of them I hate more :commie: And we have the winner. I was rooting for the Hound, I hate Brienne more. :commie:

- Arya's last scene with the music was freaking amazing.

- Charles Dance was did amazing, I believed every word Tywin said.

Aaaaand...

- Oh yeah, the Hound's dying scene was stunning, best scene in a long time and I'm no fan of the Hound or Rory McCann

- Jaime/Tyrion was great too, they are such good brothers.

Poor Tywin :crying: :crying: :crying: Tell me I'm not the only one mourning him.

Varys had a great episode. His dialogue was the best of all King's Landing scenes. And returning to the boat when he saw the Red Keep ringing the bells was great. The look on his face as they sailed off was priceless!

I liked Stannis and Mance. Two seasoned, capable leaders sizing each other up. Really looking forward to the Wall in season 5.

Jojen's death was well done. "He is lost. Come with me or die with him!" Great line. And while the "holy hand grenade" was a bit cheesy, burning Jojen was a nice tribute. I have no problem with the depiction of the Children of the Forest.

I liked Jaime and Tyrion parting on good terms too.

Special kudos to the actor playing the man that brings his daughter's charred bones. I mean, he's speaking in a fictional language and yet he's able to convey that pain through basically body language and tone.... I think it was perfect and one of the most moving scenes of the finale.

I'm happy that there was no LS. I really think it's a redundancy.

The chaining of the dragons. Top Notch CGI and why not, great acting by CGI dragons :lol:

I am OK with taking off Jojen now. He's just lingering in the books now, really.

Stannis was great. Didn't mind the no Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS! , I was hearing it in my head anyway. And he looked very...hot. Yes. Also loved that Davos was there.

Finally, a resolution. I love the show and the books equally. They are just separate things, like cousins who don't really look alike.

And the reason is the changes D & D made really worked for me. Loved:

The confrontation between Brienne and the Hound and the little scene with Brienne and Arya and the moment of connection.

The moving moment between Jaime and Tyrion instead of the conflict over Tysha. Loved the moment when Varys took the ship with Tyrion. How will that play out?

That Jojen died before he went into the cave. It was a suitable ending for him.

That Danaerys locked up her dragons herself. Her heartbreak was palatable and I cried.

Also, some things are left hanging for next season, things that happen in Book 3 that can still come to pass in the series. We have to wait almost 10 months. This season went very fast.

I haven't seen the episode yet, I came here before watching to make sure they wouldn't kill Mance. I fully expected them to have him try to kill Jon and then being send off into battle to get killed instead. Or, worse, being killed by Jon. In fact I expected them to do that since they announced that awful casting choice. I am glad to hear that Hinds finally got it right, and that they didn't kill off the character. And most importantly, thank you for having Mance refuse to kneel! I haven't read many good things about the episode, but I really like that. Thank you!

This was a sad episode and moving in several places. Jon burning Ygritte, she was oddly very beautiful lying on the pyre. I like that Mance and Tormund both acknowledged the real love in that relationship b/n those two.

I thought Dany's scene and locking up the dragons was right on point and utterly heartbreaking. Seeing Pyp and Green. Sigh!

I enjoyed most of Bran's stuff. It was exciting.

I like the fight b/n Brienne and the Hound.

I enjoyed the initial arrival of Stannis' army, coming in on both sides.

The creepy look Melissandre gave Jon and his discomfort when he saw her looking at him.

I enjoyed seeing Arya sail away from Westeros though it did break my heart a bit, especially when her initial thought was to go North to her brother.

Arya and the Hound and his 'death' scene. Arya's stone cold face the entire time he's begging for mercy.

I'd call that an assumed death scene. And when was Martin and D and D hesitant about showing people die. Except for Syrio and The Hound. Which means they must be alive just maybe have unknow purposes.

Starting with some negative things: it's not easy to post what I liked in this episode without spoilers.
But I'll try:

I liked the Wall and Stannis scenes
Ygritte's funeral
That one look of Mel
Rory McCann's whole acting but particularly his last scene and Arya's face during it

maybe others, too, but after the Bran+childen scene I just feel the need to play some Skyrim :P

Archived