The Knick (tv show) (Clive Owen/Steven Soderbergh)

AncalagonTheBlack

It's definitely about experimental medicine, but also has the early signs of the social and political struggles needed to keep that medicine going. In those 'fight for development' themes it's giving me a faintly Deadwood vibe, though it's unveiled them a lot quicker than Deadwood did iirc.

It's highly evocative of Copper, imo.

The second episode was rather good, there were some really predictable developments (everything involving the black surgeon), but other storylines (the nun) seem far more promising. I'll be tuning in next week.

Eh, calling it another version of House is reducing it to something that it's probably not. It's exploring the peripheral characters much more than House ever did, and it's very different structurally to House, where the right diagnosis comes in at about 36 minutes all day everyday. It's also surgery as opposed to medicine, though I'm not sure if that is seen as a distinction.

There's a very good piece by Myles Mcnutt over at the AV club that elucidates upon the subject much better than I can. For some very odd reason, I'm getting the new episodes the day after the come out in the US, usually I have to wait a week, not that I'm complaining of course.

Edit: The score is reminiscent of the one used in Contagion. I enjoy it a lot.

Had a peek at his wikipedia page and he's got a fair few movies in there, including Drive, which had an excellent sound.

My personal favorite is probably Clint Mansell in The Fountain. Though Mogwai push him close with their score for The Returned

It's funny (though not really that surprising) how 'regular' musicians who go into film composing often seem better than guys who have been doing films all their lives (certainly more daring). As well as those lot, Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Chemical Brothers, Johnny Greenwood, and Trent Reznor have all done some great scores/soundtracks, and ones that you'd never hear from the traditional bunch (though Hans Zimmer has been doing his best to move with the times, bless him, and does manage some pretty awesome stuff).

Greenwood did The Master? Eesh, not sure how I wasn't aware of that. Another great one is the Sunshine soundtrack, though that took such a long time to release that I was worried it wouldn't see the light of day. I was fond of Giachhino (?) during Lost, but all his more recent stuff sounds far too similar to me now.

The worst are those that try to channel Zimmer and end up falling woefully short and end up being completely forgettable. Edit: Not that Zimmer has not had a few missteps himself.

Edit: Always wondered how they score films and I had basically assumed they do it after filming but a recent interview with the folks who made Cloud Atlas say that the score for that movie was all done before they actually shot the movie. Apparently that's not the way hollywood usually does it.

Edit: Always wondered how they score films and I had basically assumed they do it after filming but a recent interview with the folks who made Cloud Atlas say that the score for that movie was all done before they actually shot the movie. Apparently that's not the way hollywood usually does it.

Afaik they usually work with the director during it to get the gist of what they need to do, but they can't really put the final score together until things are filmed because they need to see (and hear) what they're scoring. Else they're going to get the rhythm wrong.

I'm quite surprised the Cloud Atlas soundtrack works so well if that's the way they did it.

It's funny (though not really that surprising) how 'regular' musicians who go into film composing often seem better than guys who have been doing films all their lives (certainly more daring). As well as those lot, Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Chemical Brothers, Johnny Greenwood, and Trent Reznor have all done some great scores/soundtracks, and ones that you'd never hear from the traditional bunch (though Hans Zimmer has been doing his best to move with the times, bless him, and does manage some pretty awesome stuff).

This.

And add to those already mentioned, Damon Albarn's score for Ravenous is one of my favorites and Mike Patton's Crank: High Voltage + Daft Punk's TRON:Legacy are also very high on my list. More often than not, film score's these days are nothing to remember, the regular musicans manage to bring something new to the mix, like in the case of The Knick.

I love the titles. "Son of Placenta Previa" is still as jaw-dropping as the first time I heard it. Man, I was agape. The closest I've ever come to that with a moment of TV was when Tim Minear screened like 6 minutes of Drive at LA Con 3 in 2006, featuring the bit where the camera seamlessly glides from car interior to car exterior and on to another car interior. Bravura moments. Drive didn't live up to it, but so far I think The Knick is. Soderbergh's really on the ball, and Martinez is the perfect scoring partner.

I'm still waiting for the characters to really start working, but the third episode offers minor improvement on that front. In particular the revelation that Algernon is not just a good fighter (which was blatantly obvious the second the guy started making trouble in ep 2), but actively seeks out trouble so he can fight, immediately makes him a more interesting individual.
I wouldn't be shocked if a comparison between his fisticuffs and Thack's heroin either brought them a bit closer together or created an even bigger problem between them.

New Hernia Standard Procedure is ace.

I have a couple of friends who've stopped watching due to the graphic nature of the show. I'm not entirely taken by it yet, but I enjoy almost anything hospital related so I'll certainly stay till the end of the season. Some of the dialogue can be a bit clunky, but it's not grating, at least not yet. I'm unsure about where it's going, but given that it's only about 3 episodes in, I'm not too concerned.

Minor spoilers:

Also, I clearly missed the *reveal* with the nun in the previous episode. Clearly I wasn't paying enough attention.

I'm enjoying it. Do we see this getting renewed for a second season?

It got renewed before it even aired the first episode.

Also, I clearly missed the *reveal* with the nun in the previous episode. Clearly I wasn't paying enough attention.

ETA: It wasn't very clear, tbh. I mean I knew something a bit off was happening obviously but I didn't cotton on what it was, I had to read it in an episode review.

Archived