Legalization of Marijuana Thread (Medicinal Possibilities, Business, Etc.)

Sci-2

Do people really think they are going to get rich off of the legalization of weed? Dont get me wrong, im all for it, but unless you are already in a position to buy and move tons of product for cheap then you aren't getting wealthy off this. First of all a million other users have the same idea, competition will be fierce, large companies will run the small ones out of business, etc.

Not really referring to people in this thread, but there are a ton of people that think "lol imma get so rich selling weed hruuuur duuuur" even some real life friends of mine, I don't have the heart to tell them its idiotic.

And that's assuming there's not some kind of lengthy and complicated legislation/compliance regulation that would drive most small-time farmers out of business.

Funny you mention beer, as the poster above said, large corporations dominate the beer market. Anyway I will stop giving you a hard time with this. I admire your entrepreneurial spirit, and best of luck.

Sure, Anheuser-Busch owns the top spot, but brands like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, New Belgian, Harpoon, Magic Hat and Long Trail don't do poorly for themselves against the big boys. Especially when someone is looking for a craft beer - I have no idea if that same concept applies with MJ, but if it does then there's no reason an individual or small group can't be successful against the large corps.

it's similar to the discussion in the World Cup - what needs to be done to get the USA to embrace soccer more. Some of the arguments are that it can't happen unless football is gone or changed. No - Sam Adams does not need to out sell AB in order to be successful, nor should they try. Bale and her husband don't need to be larger than...whomever...in order to be successful.

Funny you mention beer, as the poster above said, large corporations dominate the beer market.

My question is, who gives a shit? A buddy of mine just opened up a late-night diner downtown, it's been a lifelong dream of his. Should I have told him it's a stupid fucking dream because McDonald's exists?

Plain ol' joints will probably be dominated by the big corporations (long-standing rumor is that the cigarette companies developed MJ rollout plans decades ago, that keep updated, just in case there was ever widespread legalization), but I think there will definitely be boutique openings available. For instance, it takes a ton of work to make an MJ edible that actually tastes good, I don't think any big corporations will be putting in the effort there.

Funny you mention beer, as the poster above said, large corporations dominate the beer market. Anyway I will stop giving you a hard time with this. I admire your entrepreneurial spirit, and best of luck.

Large corps dominate the beer market for a reason. Only a few companies made it out of prohibition and those companies all made very similar beers. To keep their hold on the beer market these companies started controlling and owning the distributers as well and since you can only sell your beer through a distributor, they locked out a lot of start ups. The American public created a market for some distributors to get off the beaten path and carry their beers which has eaten into the market share the big boys have always had.

Cannabis could go down this route, but unless a cigarette company comes along and can turn their cigarette manufacturing plants into joint plants (which has its own risks, but is definitely possible) the most likely solution is that the market will be saturated by many, many small scale operations vs a huge dominant one. There will be plenty of opportunity to make money in that kind of scenario. Then you have all the banking, security, transportation, paraphernalia, and edible markets that will go along with it.

My question is, who gives a shit? A buddy of mine just opened up a late-night diner downtown, it's been a lifelong dream of his. Should I have told him it's a stupid fucking dream because McDonald's exists?

I think you missed my point possum. My point was that I think people who want to get rich quick off the legalization of marijuana are in for major disappointment. Not that you shouldn't follow your dreams because chances are they wont make you wealthy. If growing fantastic marijuana has been your lifelong dream that's great, but if you just see this as a way to get rich fast I don't think its going to work out. Im sure your buddy will make a good living, probably middle classes, or even upper middle class if the place does well, he is not trying to take advantage of some new law to make tons of money fast and easy, its honest work hes putting in to make a lifelong dream happen. And that is completely different from the inevitable flood of people that will try to profit from the legalization of marijuana.

Just felt I should clarify.

I think you missed my point possum. My point was that I think people who want to get rich quick off the legalization of marijuana are in for major disappointment. Not that you shouldn't follow your dreams because chances are they wont make you wealthy. If growing fantastic marijuana has been your lifelong dream that's great, but if you just see this as a way to get rich fast I don't think its going to work out. Im sure your buddy will make a good living, probably middle classes, or even upper middle class if the place does well, he is not trying to take advantage of some new law to make tons of money fast and easy, its honest work hes putting in to make a lifelong dream happen. And that is completely different from the inevitable flood of people that will try to profit from the legalization of marijuana.

It sounds like what you're saying is that growing MJ wouldn't be putting in honest work to build their dream?

That inevitable flood of people looking to capitalize on legalization? Same type of attitude as people capitalizing on...anything. web capabilities, cell phones, trademarks and copyrights expiring. Changes in law tend to have that sort of impact on business since it either opens up opportunity or closes off so new ways need to be found.

Some people ARE getting rich fast in this market though, so it is happening. Will it happen for everyone? Of course not. Will some succeed and some fail? Definitely. But I'd like to point out that 1) there's nothing inherently different in the cannabis market than any other market except for the fact that there's more opportunity in the new market and 2) there's nothing that makes opening up a restaurant inherently 'honest work' while opening something in the cannabis market as inherently dishonest.

It sounds like what you're saying is that growing MJ wouldn't be putting in honest work to build their dream?

That inevitable flood of people looking to capitalize on legalization? Same type of attitude as people capitalizing on...anything. web capabilities, cell phones, trademarks and copyrights expiring. Changes in law tend to have that sort of impact on business since it either opens up opportunity or closes off so new ways need to be found.

What he's saying is there are a lot of idiot stoners who are thinking "Hey, I smoke pot, I can open a shop/ grow some and get rich" when it gets legal. But the reality is that it is going to be an extremely competitive market, and like other markets, only the truly innovative, or the truly well-prepared are going to succeed.

There isn't going to be a dearth of options for getting pot when it's legalized, meaning you're actually going to have to have a solid business plan, enough capital to legitimately fund a new business, knowledge to navigate the likely very tricky legal and bureaucratic landscape, and even then you're not going to get rich. You will be like those who run a successful restaurant, or convenience store, or whatever. Making a living, but not becoming rich.

What he's saying is there are a lot of idiot stoners who are thinking "Hey, I smoke pot, I can open a shop/ grow some and get rich" when it gets legal. But the reality is that it is going to be an extremely competitive market, and like other markets, only the truly innovative, or the truly well-prepared are going to succeed.

There isn't going to be a dearth of options for getting pot when it's legalized, meaning you're actually going to have to have a solid business plan, enough capital to legitimately fund a new business, knowledge to navigate the likely very tricky legal and bureaucratic landscape, and even then you're not going to get rich. You will be like those who run a successful restaurant, or convenience store, or whatever. Making a living, but not becoming rich.

Yeah, this exactly. I am unsure of why my words are being twisted to "wow you think people that want to grow marijuana are not putting in work for their dream?" Perhaps I am just not being clear enough, but obviously you get what I am saying so maybe that is not the issue. I especially agree with the last bit of what you are saying here.

Sure, growing marijuana might be your life's dream in the same way that opening a restaurant is someone elses. My quarrel is not with that.

And what I'm saying is that this isn't really true. Sure, idiot stoners exist who talk about growing pot for big money, but the fact is that they RARELY enter the market any more than idiot drunks who brew their own beer talk about opening a brew pub, or any idiot out there with a dream and no plan on how to get there. Legal weed has been around for 20 years, this isn't a new market.

What's unique about this is the stigmatism with the cannabis culture and that it somehow caters to dumb people, or that there are more dumb people than average, which is frankly offensive. 'Idiot stoners' have been talking out of their ass about growing pot for decades. Businesspeople with good plans, a good marketing strategy, etc... have been making it happen for just as long. The cannabis market is no different than any other market.

And what I'm saying is that this isn't really true. Sure, idiot stoners exist who talk about growing pot for big money, but the fact is that they RARELY enter the market any more than idiot drunks who brew their own beer talk about opening a brew pub, or any idiot out there with a dream and no plan on how to get there. Legal weed has been around for 20 years, this isn't a new market.

What's unique about this is the stigmatism with the cannabis culture and that it somehow caters to dumb people, or that there are more dumb people than average, which is frankly offensive. 'Idiot stoners' have been talking out of their ass about growing pot for decades. Businesspeople with good plans, a good marketing strategy, etc... have been making it happen for just as long. The cannabis market is no different than any other market.

Yes, that's his point. When the pot market finally opens up, it's not gonna be a new field where people can jump in on the cutting edge and make tons of cash just cause they got there first. There's big companies chomping at the bit to get in. You are not gonna make money just for being there, you are gonna have to be good or innovative.

Strangely enough, this is largely because everyone except some crazy conservatives and politicians and political groups have admitted it's inevitable. Everyone's just waiting for the law to finally get it's fucking act together as it inevitably must.

Like people need more ways to stupefy themselves.. And yeah, as soon as states got greedy enough to want to legalize and tax it, the handwriting is on the wall.

Robin,

Do you feel the same way about, alcohol, or, even say, television? Both are legal, regulated, and taxed, and both can be said to "stupefy" people. Yet, they all have the possibility to facilitate creativity, broaden ones horizons, or even inform and educate someone in the right circumstance.

Archived