Videogames: Your Absurd Character Demands Cannot Be Met

Sivin

Nah, that's my belief for the most part too. Especially when it comes to Blizzard. Though I think Bioware has alot of the same issues.

The upside with the theory is that in 15-20 years, if the industry hasn't come crashing down so hard that its not getting up again, we should start getting some AAA games with really solid stories.

If you bought it on steam, the episode will unlock automatically. I don't know how it works for the consoles.

Note that it will still need to download, so you'll have to be online at some point to grab it, although you won't have to do anything specific to get it.

The upside with the theory is that in 15-20 years, if the industry hasn't come crashing down so hard that its not getting up again, we should start getting some AAA games with really solid stories.

There's some around now. I'll check anything Obsidian puts out because their writers are probably the best in gaming, precisely because they did start in the 1990s on writing-heavy, character-driven RPGs. Spec Ops: The Line was also a really good, recent action game with a pretty good story.

There's some around now. I'll check anything Obsidian puts out because their writers are probably the best in gaming, precisely because they did start in the 1990s on writing-heavy, character-driven RPGs. Spec Ops: The Line was also a really good, recent action game with a pretty good story.

True. There are some exceptions, but they are the exceptions. I look forward to the day when hopefully most AAA games have really solid writing; where something like New Vegas or Portal is the baseline.

I was just wondering, since Wolf Among Us episode 5 is releasing tomorrow, will I have to buy it, or will it just unlock as a download in the game I already bought? Not sure how these episodic releases work, since I bought episodes 1-4 together during the sale.

You still need to have bought the season pass though, not sure what you meant here. Looking forward to playing this tomorrow.

I still think the development process will make this difficult. The one thing I'm amazed with looking at behind the scenes stuff is just the insane amount of stuff that always seems to end up cut.

I imagine it must be very difficult to do good larger-scale writing when you can't guarantee almost any part but the beginning will exist or be a certain way.

You still need to have bought the season pass though, not sure what you meant here. Looking forward to playing this tomorrow.

I bought it during the steam sale, it was just called 'The Wolf among us' - so I'm assuming that's the season pass. I started up steam today, and I guess ep 5 started downloading. Can't wait!

Had a day off today, so I sat down to finish episode 5. It was quick (about 1h20min), and just a whole lot of meh. I didn't really catch on to the very last scene, though.

Edit: oh shit, I just watched the whole end scene and now I get it. Not a bad way to end it.

There isn't a season pass, Telltale don't sell the episodes separately (at least not on PC). There's only one price to buy the full game and that includes every episode.

Ah, right right. I do actually have it for PC but I must've been thinking of xbox live or whatever.

Had a day off today, so I sat down to finish episode 5. It was quick (about 1h20min), and just a whole lot of meh. I didn't really catch on to the very last scene, though.

That's a shame to hear that. It's 5:30am here (don't ask why I'm awake :Lol:) so I won't be able to play it for a bit. It seems that episode 1 was the peak of the whole game then :(

That's a shame to hear that. It's 5:30am here (don't ask why I'm awake :Lol:) so I won't be able to play it for a bit. It seems that episode 1 was the peak of the whole game then :(

It actually wasn't that bad, but yeah ep 1 was definitely the peak of the series.

TWAU spoilers:

The trial was really disappointing. That was the prime moment to have all of your actions come back to haunt you. Make it so that you actually have to win at an actual trial (and if you need to, you can have Nerissa come in and save the players who were going to lose, since this IS a Telltale game and you can't have that much narrative shift in their games). It was easily building up to be far better than the Walking Dead's Stranger moment, and I'll admit I did a quick mental check of my actions to make sure he'd get convicted at a trial based on how I'd treated people previously, but none of that ends up mattering.

Plus, the noise Mary made while walking was creepy as hell, but her clone army was just...boring. Oh well. Also, the time to have Bigby fully wolf out wasn't the fight against her, but the chase through the streets. That way, its less of a "oh, Bigby wins because he just turns into a giant wolf the end" moment.

TWAU spoilers:

The trial was really disappointing. That was the prime moment to have all of your actions come back to haunt you. Make it so that you actually have to win at an actual trial (and if you need to, you can have Nerissa come in and save the players who were going to lose, since this IS a Telltale game and you can't have that much narrative shift in their games). It was easily building up to be far better than the Walking Dead's Stranger moment, and I'll admit I did a quick check of my actions to make sure he'd get convicted at a trial based on how I'd treated people previously, but none of that ends up mattering.

Plus, the noise Mary made while walking was creepy as hell, but her clone army was just...boring. Oh well. Also, the time to have Bigby fully wolf out wasn't the fight against her, but the chase through the streets. That way, its less of a "oh, Bigby wins because he just turns into a giant wolf the end" moment.

I actually feel this way about the entire series, especially given how the trial went. The player's choices really don't affect the game in any meaningful way. Makes me wonder why I paused the game a few times to think over what to do, when it wasn't really necessary.

I actually feel this way about the entire series, especially given how the trial went. The player's choices really don't affect the game in any meaningful way. Makes me wonder why I paused the game a few times to think over what to do, when it wasn't really necessary.

The worst part, IMO, was that throughout the game, there isn't even

the emotional reaction. The Walking Dead has the same plot notes, but there are fairly significant differences in how people feel about you. In TWAU, no matter what, Snow always treats you like you roughed up the suspect in Ep2, for instance. Auntie Greenleaf's reaction if you save her tree was just about the only note in this one, and I hope, hope, that my treatment towards Holly and Gren started winning them over, but I kind of suspect that that was scripted too.

Basically, what worked in tWD was keeping the plot mostly the same, but changing the relationships. In TWAU, they had a golden set-up for slightly altering the relationships (and dealing with Bigby and how afraid Fabletown is of him) but then changing the ending scene, and they didn't do it.

Oh well. I still really liked the game, it just could have been brilliant.

Archived