another Malaysian Airlines flight story...

jurble

There is a chart in this morning's paper copy of the Globe and Mail that shows the last three routes the MH flight has been taking., which I cannot find on the newspaper's website. Perhaps someone else can find it elsewhere. It very clearly shows that a few weeks ago the flight stayed well away from the area where the flight was shot down, and then the route moved to a corridor a little further north, basically halfway between the route a few flights ago and the route taken yesterday.

It's puzzling that the route was shifted further and further north, closer to the border between Russia and the Ukraine.

Was it previously flying over the Black Sea?

Was it previously flying over the Black Sea?

None of the routes went over the Black Sea. The chart actually shows the previous four days only.

Looking at the chart, Sunday's and Monday's flights flew over Germany south to cross over Slovakia and then across southern Ukraine and exit Ukrainian air space just north of Crimea, well away from the area controlled by separatists.

The flights on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all flew over Germany, into Poland, then turned south roughly at Warsaw. When they hit the Ukrainian border they diverged. Tuesday's flight turned south immediately, joining Sunday's route just before Crimea. Wednesday's route looks almost exactly halfway between the Sunday route and the Thursday route. The Wednesday route left Ukrainian air space just south of the disputed territory. Thursday's route flew south of Kiev and directly over the disputed territory.

ETA: I was looking at so many charts, I was thinking this one went back a week or two, but went back 5 days.

Can you further explain the second sentence there? What "line" are you talking about? It seems that since this incident many other airlines have said they will no longer fly that route, so I don't see why Malaysian Airlines "practically can't" reroute their flights.

The line as in the distance the plane can travel on it's fuel load. As far as I've heard, there's not alot of wiggle room.

There is a chart in this morning's paper copy of the Globe and Mail that shows the last three routes the MH flight has been taking., which I cannot find on the newspaper's website. Perhaps someone else can find it elsewhere. It very clearly shows that a few weeks ago the flight stayed well away from the area where the flight was shot down, and then the route moved to a corridor a little further north, basically halfway between the route a few flights ago and the route taken yesterday.

It's puzzling that the route was shifted further and further north, closer to the border between Russia and the Ukraine.

Because the area flights were actually told not to fly over was the area around Crimea.

The line as in the distance the plane can travel on it's fuel load. As far as I've heard, there's not alot of wiggle room.

Because the area flights were actually told not to fly over was the area around Crimea.

Yes, but the flights on Sunday through Wednesday did all avoid the Crimea, flying north of it, between the Crimea and the lands controlled by the separatists.

Yes, but the flights on Sunday through Wednesday did all avoid the Crimea, flying north of it, between the Crimea and the lands controlled by the separatists.

No clue then.

I would also think the ICAO and Eurocontrol should be feeling it for telling airlines that they were safe in this area if they stayed above 32,000 feet. Obviously they were not.

Its sounding like things are a complete mess over at the crash site, and we'll likely never know exactly what happened.

That's mostly a series of tweets from a reporter on the ground, so I can't easily quote it here. Basically, investigators are being blocked from accessing the site, and rebels have been completely tampering the site, and in some cases looting, the site.

I think it was clear yesterday when locals were still able to just wander up to the crash site and pick through the rubble that anything incriminating was already long gone. I doubt any investigation will find much now, but they'll have to do one anyway on the off chance.

Its sounding like things are a complete mess over at the crash site, and we'll likely never know exactly what happened.

That's mostly a series of tweets from a reporter on the ground, so I can't easily quote it here. Basically, investigators are being blocked from accessing the site, and rebels have been completely tampering the site, and in some cases looting, the site.

Yeah, the rebels aren't making themselves look good here by holding the investigators back at gunpoint while they load all the evidence into their own vehicles and drive off with it.

Conspiracy theories are fun. The way they tie everything up with a little bow are so appealing.

:deep sigh:

I like Pepe the best. He's very colourful with his writing and sometimes he actually gets things right. He puts nicknames on everybody. Hillary "We came, we saw, he died" Clinton and Susan "R2P" Power.

Not that surprising, as the route over Crimea is at least as problematic, because you have both Russian and Ukrainian flght security telling you what to do there.

Who said there wouldn't be elaborate conspiracy theories??

No one? These things always generate whackjob theories.

Shit man, Russian TV is involved here. There's already been claims the passengers and crew were dead before the crash.

Just to prove that any coincidence, if it can happen, will happen...

In March, De Jonge was scheduled to travel from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, on his way to a race in Taiwan. After arriving at the airport, he found a direct flight to Taiwan, and switched his ticket, but chatted with passengers on the flight he'd been scheduled to take. De Jonge's flight landed safely. The one he was supposed to be on, MH370, is the flight that disappeared over the Indian Ocean and still hasn't been found.

Then, last Thursday, De Jonge had a ticket for a direct flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur. At the last minute, according to the UK Independent, De Jonge realized that he could save money by flying to Frankfurt and changing planes. So he traded in his ticket on flight MH17 — the plane that was shot down over Ukraine.

How long until the theories that he's an agent of SPECTRE that caused these incidents, start?

More seriously, if I were him I'd buy a lottery ticket (since I've obviously got a horseshoe lodged in me somewhere) and never try flying again.

Post #62.

I am unwilling to believe that even the parties of the Ukrainian conflict would shoot down a commercial airplane on purpose. Even the wildest conspiracy theorists would have a hard time fitting this piece into a coherent puzzle.

I am unwilling to believe that even the parties of the Ukrainian conflict would shoot down a commercial airplane on purpose.

?

Who has said it was on purpose. The separatists clearly botched things thinking it was a military plane.

Archived