Arya Surprise?

John Suburbs

Good, we're agreed then. It would be stupid and annoying, but not impossible.

No, we are not in agreement. Just because you can subject GRRM’s writing to post-modernist crap thinking, doesn’t mean you should. Sometimes a purloined letter is just a fucking purloined letter and a tom boy is a tom boy. In neither case does a penis in any shape or form need to be involved.

At this rate, there is going to be more secrete penises (Arya, Brienne, Osha, Asha, The Dusty Woman, I'm sure I'm missing several) jumping out from behind every bush of Westeros than there are secret Targs.

No, we are not in agreement. Just because you can subject GRRM’s writing to post-modernist crap thinking, doesn’t mean you should. Sometimes a purloined letter is just a fucking purloined letter and a tom boy is a tom boy. In neither case does a penis in any shape or form need to be involved.

At this rate, there is going to be more secrete penises (Arya, Brienne, Osha, Asha, The Dusty Woman, I'm sure I'm missing several) jumping out from behind every bush of Westeros than there are secret Targs.

There's noting post-modernist about it. AG is a known medical condition that affects people now and affected people in the past, probably all the way back to the caveman days. So I agree with your first post that it would be a weak crutch for an author like GRRM to use in order to create a plot twist, but that is very different from saying it is downright impossible.

What's post modernist is the notion that someone could raise an issue like this and suddenly be labeled sexist. Only in post-modernist thinking are boys and girls supposed to be equal in every way. Right or wrong, that hasn't been the mindset throughout nearly all of recorded history.

So if there is any real evidence that this could not be the case -- she flowers, starts growing breasts, she's about 12 IIRC -- than we can start talking about impossibilities. But until then, try not to confuse your distaste for the whole subject as ironclad proof that it couldn't happen.

And BTW, if you look at the OP I never proposed any of this as fact or even theory. I just mentioned that I thought it was a completely crazy idea that, on second thought, is only extremely crazy given the medical knowledge we have today. Personally, I would be very disappointed if GR pulled a stunt like this because he is a much better writer than that.

Sorry, but no. From the chapter:

He is teasing me, Mercy thought. He’s not drunk tonight, he knows the show perfectly well. “We are doing Phario’s new Bloody Hand, in honor of the envoy from the Seven Kingdoms.”

“Now I recall.” Bobono lowered his voice to a sinister croak. “The seven-faced god has cheated me,” he said. “My noble sire he made of purest gold, and gold he made my siblings, boy and girl. But I am formed of darker stuff, of bones and blood and clay, twisted into this rude shape you see before you.” With that, he grabbed at her chest, fumbling for a nipple. “You have no titties. How can I rape a girl with no titties?”

She caught his nose between her thumb and forefinger and twisted. “You’ll have no nose until you get your hands off me.”

Um no...she's biological a girl..

Well, the whole point of the thread is the idea that she is a boy with Ambiguous Genitalia, a known medical condition that causes baby boys to look like baby girls. Of course, I have no way to prove that she does have it. If there is a way to prove that she doesn't, I'd love to hear it.

Well, the whole point of the thread is the idea that she is a boy with Ambiguous Genitalia, a known medical condition that causes baby boys to look like baby girls. Of course, I have no way to prove that she does have it. If there is a way to prove that she doesn't, I'd love to hear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Actually there is. Email GRRM.

The whole point of this thread is your assumption that Arya is a boy because of beeing tomboyish. You're constantly ignoring the facts of text evidence that she's a girl.

“You know I’m not.” Gendry smiled. “You want me to take out my cock and prove it? I don’t

have anything to hide.”

“Yes you do,” Arya blurted, desperate to escape the subject of the cock she didn’t have. “Those

gold cloaks were after you at the inn, and you won’t tell us why.”

I'M NOT A DUDE! I JUST CHECKED! According to this thread not enough, aye.

Its okay, once you go through puberty you should be safe. Its the surge of testosterone during puberty that makes the penis develop properly if you have AIS

Archived