Big Bang Theory 8: those who are pitied, along with those who are kissed

Datepalm

Drawk,

I was interested that they seemed to be shaking Sheldon up with his train trip but they wasted it for a throw away joke that he never left the train stations.

that's the problem - they can't shake up Sheldon. they can move him along at glacial speed to show he has changed, but they can't make permanent drastic changes.

This show is just starting to make me sad. When will Berni leave Howard? How hard will Penny and Leonard crash and burn? Will Amy ever leave Sheldon and develop a real life? This is like watching abuse continue ad infinitum.

She won't leave Howard because she needs someone to control and he needs someone to control him; Penny & Leonard will hit bumps but with her turn in career she and he will be able to see things with a little more alignment due to her changing focus. Not going out to party v. studying.

No...Amy will never leave Sheldon because she does see him evolving slowly - at this point they have a physical relationship which 3 years ago would have never happened.

Raj & Emily will be the pair that splits because that is his schtick on the show - he becomes overly Raj and annoys women away from him.

Penny & Leonard won't last. You can't have 7 seasons of on/off if you want the audience to believe they are solid married couple material. Besides, they have both agreed on more than one occasion in previous seasons that they have a much better relationship as friends.

I think Penny gets somewhere career-wise finally, and it shows her she's strong and smart enough to not have to settle, and calls off the engagement at the end of this season.

For season 9, I could see Amy being ultimately fed up with Sheldon and get together with Leonard.

I miss Datepalm's commentary too. Been wondering where she is.

I'm enjoying Penny's new found determination. The moment she found out she has less time to study than she thought. Despite where she was. The peer pressure to do exactly what she was wanting to. And even with drunk friends beside her and mostly naked men dancing in front of her.

She only spared a brief glance and continued working.

Meanwhile. The guys were blaming their relationships for their lack of scientific milestones. Only to have their moment willingly given to them.

An idea to work on. But they completely lacked focus.

Their hurdles are their own. They just couldn't work despite the fact that they kept putting themselves in an environment for work.

Hey if Penny could study while there were strippers in front of her. The guys could have avoided pigeon ping pong and genital shaped land masses. To get some work done.

Penny being totally sober. Punishing the hungover girls with burning glaring horrible sunlight. So evil.

But I wonder if that marked a new turning point for her character. Will we see a different Penny from now on.

I suppose her character has already evolved over time. Caught a few episodes of the first season recently. She has noticeably changed.

Last night's episode was just brilliant. From critiquing / explaining the guys haven't accomplished anything and they are to blame for it. To penny demonstrating she's undergoing a major transformation it was great character wise. And the show dedicated an entire act to an argument about time lines in back to the future and another act to the science of hover boards, it was Uber nerdy.

that's the problem - they can't shake up Sheldon. they can move him along at glacial speed to show he has changed, but they can't make permanent drastic changes.

Isn't that what they did with Amy? The Amy we first encountered was a Sheldon clone with no interests in dating or coitus or anything fun. Now she is the gossip girl who craves attention and has an obvious sexual side waiting to get out.

I thought the latest episode was the best episode of the season so far, though a lackluster season it's been for the most part. I really loved drunk Amy and Bernadette, the BTTF discussions and the Ghostbusters diversion.

Penny being totally sober. Punishing the hungover girls with burning glaring horrible sunlight. So evil.

But I wonder if that marked a new turning point for her character. Will we see a different Penny from now on.

I suppose her character has already evolved over time. Caught a few episodes of the first season recently. She has noticeably changed.

I don't think that does - I think that was spot on for what happens...oh, spent too much time drinking? How's that alarm sound? Need a little light to find your glasses?

Isn't that what they did with Amy? The Amy we first encountered was a Sheldon clone with no interests in dating or coitus or anything fun. Now she is the gossip girl who craves attention and has an obvious sexual side waiting to get out.

Yes, a new character that didn't have a fully established persona - Amy they were able to change as part of her backstory, always wanting attention but never getting it. Sheldon has never craved that and that has been a consistent message since the beginning. Basically, Amy became the college freshman away from home for the first time, able to try to redefine herself and experiment in a way she hadn't been able to previously.

This show is just starting to make me sad. When will Berni leave Howard? How hard will Penny and Leonard crash and burn? Will Amy ever leave Sheldon and develop a real life? This is like watching abuse continue ad infinitum.

The words I thought I will never say... But I agree (with criticism of TBBT). It is just such a drag... Nothing changed, and the game-changing moment we ought to get with Sheldon's train trip was, well, not delivered. On top of that, we have Penny and Lenard as the vicious circle of the same recycled themes.

I am seriously more excited about "Downton Abbey" that TBBT... It is more exciting... Yeah, I said it.

I miss Datepalm's commentary...

I join the chorus... I miss her too... We need her guidance... She usually has something smart to say to return the faith in show... God was merciless to TBBT fandom on westeros.org when he made DP unavailable for comments this season... As Sheldon would say, "Why hast thou forsaken me, O deity whose existence I doubt?"

I'm not surprised that nothing ever changes. This series has been carefully nurtured for longevity (look at 2.5 Men too). It's one of the highest rated comedies and they want to keep that golden goose laying. The writers are probably very happy with how they introduced Bernadette and Amy, navigated the obligatory break-up, reunion and now engagement, and fit in a secondary wedding without killing Howard's skeevy humor. It's dull for us, but they're threading a needle to not drive away viewers.

I was wondering if Penny's reformation might become a statement in a culture war. When she tried going back to school her best effort was underwhelming, leaving us with the impression that some people are just born pretty, blonde and academically limited (nature rather than nurture). But if effort and dedication now make her successful in her career, then it becomes more of a statement on culture. Pretty, blonde girls don't work hard or spend time on uncool math/science/whatever because they don't need to because teenage culture prizes pretty blondeness above learning or effort, but in adulthood that runs into problems. If Penny can be successful now when she tries then it suggests she should have tried all along. She should have been a nerd from the outset rather than an aspiring actress.

All along the show suggested that both sides had something to learn from the other. If Penny now has a big success after years of failure then it tilts more strongly that the non-nerds have more to learn from nerds than vice versa. Especially since the nerds haven't really changed all that much.

Archived