Big Bang Theory 8: those who are pitied, along with those who are kissed

Datepalm

Virtually no laugh out loud moments in that 22mins, but didn't mind the couples being forced to awkwardly navigate through a tricky subject. There's a few potentially interesting societal questions of should a man feel emasculated by a woman earning substantially more than him? Does a man earning substantially more make a woman feel helpless and reliant on him? When is the right time for couples to pool their earning together into a joint account, and is it fair if those earning are not equal? So while not much laughs, I did find the episode pretty interesting.

I do think they missed an opportunity with Sheldon and Raj flaking out on doing research in the mines. A big part of this show is that the jobs of the characters are very unique to any other sitcoms out there, and it can lead to some pretty cool stuff. I loved Howard's astronaut story, and always found the episodes where one of Leonard's experiments was weaved into the story worked well. Sheldon and Raj in a dangerous environment like a mine could have been interesting, and lead to some kind of life changing thing happen to either one of them.

Loved this episode. Nicely self aware throughout, particularly penny and Leonards arguments. Loved the random lead in about shadows of colussus.

Howard and Bernie had a deliciously effed up dynamic that naturally ended in sex. The writers seem to be teasing a dominant submissive aspect to their sex lives in addition to the role play also hinted at with naughty teacher ( embedded of course in emasculating code language, very clever).

Sheldon got in some good nerd jokes such as his whiteboard and startrek voyager and Raj got a huge moment in calling Sheldon out at the end, big step for Raj. Sheldon let's it roll right off him in a way that recalls earlier lines but also the show open final claim he makes about being unable to tell when he was made fun of. Both are clearly not true but both attempts to shrug it off are the only ways Sheldon can usually express his wounded feelings.

I agree that Howard-Bernie has been hinted at as a unspoken dom-sub relationship and pretty much confirmed now. I thought it was ballsy to have Penny say that Leonard would be threatened if she was less needy. The show is confronting the question of whether they have any substance when she doesn't need to settle for him. I'm sure they'll eventually find that they have twue wove.

This episode wasn't particularly funny but the timing of the topic seemed just right to me because I posted last week in the GC thread about joint accounts and I've been watching Breaking Bad, where control issues are a huge, recurring theme.

I agree that Howard-Bernie has been hinted at as a unspoken dom-sub relationship and pretty much confirmed now. I thought it was ballsy to have Penny say that Leonard would be threatened if she was less needy. The show is confronting the question of whether they have any substance when she doesn't need to settle for him. I'm sure they'll eventually find that they have twue wove.

I really enjoyed the stuff between Penny and Leonard. It showed an understanding of each other's faults that may actually start heading them in the direction of a "real" couple. I did laugh a bit when leonard said something about he was insecure about his insecurities.

That's a bet I wouldn't take.

I wouldn't either. Only way something like that would happen is if Meliss Rauch doesn't want to be on the show anymore. They couldn't have them break up and both still be on the show.

Enjoyed it...I think they did a pretty good job of keeping most of the Penny-Leonard discussion "real" with only a little flakiness in it.

It was good, but it did not have enough Amy in it. I am not even a fan of the character, but she seemed somewhat underused in the last episode.

And she really should not act as Sheldon's secretary and transcribed his logs or whatever.

SC,

The North Pole, or really any point on the globe should work for that.

1) Nice to face perpendicular to the sun to avoid it's radiation since it also produces neutrinos.

2) Nice to have a 1 km block of ice without bubbles to detect them, such as the ice naturally exists in the glacier of Antarctica.

3) the north pole is melty

4) the south pole neutrino observatory is already constructed

Howard sang to Bernadette when she was in quarantine, and now they get get reduced to Mrs. Nagging and Mr. Man Child verbally absuing each other.

that's what they were before too. This episode just put more a focus on it...the scavenger really showed her nagging side (to Leonard) and pretty much every episode reinforces Howard is still the son.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think it was. The storyline that I thought was most interesting - about Bernadette's article and Amy's objections to it - was dropped somewhere in the middle and I thought the stalking creepy doctor person was ridiculous.

Maybe it would work better if those two storylines would each take its own episode. They really did not mix well, the episode felt disjointed and unfinished.

I think it was both. Awesome and slightly disappointing that they didn't finish Amy and Bernadette's kerfuffle. Though I suspect well be going back to it.

I had no idea that that particular guest star was coming in and he nailed it.

Archived