Discussion of the Season 5 storylines - Implications of the Casting News from San Diego

The hairy bear

She can have sex in the story, they just can't show it explictly. Simple as that.

They didn't show Dany and Daario having sex explicitly, she didn't even take off her clothes. But we knew they did. And pretty sure Jaime and Cersei have been clothed for all of their sex scenes.

They have Mel strip just to get a cup of coffee. There will be boobs, this is Game of Thrones. Sex scenes, sexy scenes, let's not get picky here about the distinction. They had Oberyn living in a brothel, now they are at his home planet. Expect more, much more. Hell, they even sexed up Sansa. Maybe Margaery will wear nothing at all in her cell.

Hell, they even sexed up Sansa.

Umm, Sansa's humiliation scene in the throne room was far tamer in the show. Sansa's wedding night with Tyrion was far tamer in the show. The show skipped the Tyrion / Shae sex in the same bed as Sansa. The show skipped Littlefinger fondling Sansa in his lap. The show skipped the musician trying to rape Sansa. The show toned down the sexual dynamic between Sansa and Sandor.

So what on earth are you referring to? Sansa is a few years older in the show and her Alayne dress has a low-ish neckline?

The show revels in putting naked women on screen, certainly. But the books do too. If a sandsnake did have sex in season 5, would that be at all different from Asha's sex scene with Qarl the Maid in the books? Or Dany and Dario? Or Dany and her maid? GRRM writes plenty of sex scenes, partly so we can get to know a character's sexual side, partly cause he wants there to be a lot of sex in the story. And GRRM certainly isn't above inventing a whole city where women leave a breast uncovered.

The show revels in putting naked women on screen, certainly. But the books do too. If a sandsnake did have sex in season 5, would that be at all different from Asha's sex scene with Qarl the Maid in the books? Or Dany and Dario? Or Dany and her maid? GRRM writes plenty of sex scenes, partly so we can get to know a character's sexual side, partly cause he wants there to be a lot of sex in the story. And GRRM certainly isn't above inventing a whole city where women leave a breast uncovered.

Absolutely. The endless moralising about "sexing it up" is simply hilarious when one considers the amount of sex and nudity in the books. And no, it's not always in the service of character building.

The cherry-picking is not really helpful; actually, it's quite disingenuous. I can only imagine what the reaction would be if the show, for instance, created a non-book scene that goes something like this:

The dancers shimmered, their sleek shaved bodies covered with a fine sheen of oil. Blazing torches whirled from hand to hand to the beat of drums and the trilling of a flute. Whenever two torches crossed in the air, a naked girl leapt between them, spinning. The torchlight shone off oiled limbs and breasts and buttocks.

The three men were erect. The sight of their arousal was arousing, though Daenerys Targaryen found it comical as well.

(...)

As the drums reached a crescendo, three of the girls leapt above the flames, spinning in the air. The male dancers caught them about the waists and slid them down onto their members. Dany watched as the women arched their backs and coiled their legs around their partners while the flutes wept and the men thrust in time to the music.

There's more where that came from.

U dont get it. I dont hace any problem with the amount of boobs on got. I have a problem with the ridicolous amount of those bewbs scenes that dont serve a purpose. Pod fucking three whores ( it wasnt shown explicitly, i know) . Why? Oberyn making out with a boy. Why? LF monologueing while Ros does some other whorem. Why???

U dont get it. I dont hace any problem with the amount of boobs on got. I have a problem with the ridicolous amount of those bewbs scenes that dont serve a purpose. Pod fucking three whores ( it wasnt shown explicitly, i know) . Why? Oberyn making out with a boy. Why? LF monologueing while Ros does some other whorem. Why???

Because that is the kind of thing that brings viewers in?

because its called character building....

Pod because it's funny and memorable.

oberyn because he is trying to gain the upper hand by making others uncomfortable, and the writers probably consider it a bonus if the audience is also uncomfortable.

Petyrs monologue has the flesh to distract the viewer and ruin their concentration on what he is saying. It also is playing the long game setting up Peter alone and without allies in his plotting early in the series which will contrast with his having a Co-conspirator who is his equal later in the series in sansa.

Archived