August 2014 reads

farseer2

I started August by reading The Widow's House (book 4 of The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham). I love this series and this book did not disappoint. I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion which, given that Abraham has been relatively good at sticking to his schedule, should come sometime next year.

Towards the end of August, I read the entire Magician's trilogy by Lev Grossman (The Magicians, The Magician King, The Magician's Land). It's pretty good -- perhaps not as great as The Dagger and the Coin, but good nevertheless. It also has the advantage of being finished so, unlike for many modern fantasy series, there is no need to wait and no chance of the author screwing up the ending (the ending of the third book and thus of the entire trilogy was probably one of my favorite parts).

I started August by reading The Widow's House (book 4 of The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham). I love this series and this book did not disappoint. I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion which, given that Abraham has been relatively good at sticking to his schedule, should come sometime next year.

I started reading this as soon as it reached my hot little hands. My only regret is that I can't spend as much time as I'd like engrossed in it. My damn work is interfering with my reading! :angry: :tantrum:

Just finished reading the Dunk and Egg stories. Absolutely marvellous!

What next? Either Anne Rice or Tom Clancy. undecided on which books in particular. May I'll just pick a book at random while I'm out one day, and who knows what that could be. I came across Paramhansa Yogananda that way.

In one of my local charity shops, what did I come across? Almost the complete year of Beano comics! 1966! The same year as the legendary "Beano' album featuring Eric 'Slowhand' Clapton. Biffo The Bear was always my fave!

No regrets about ill-luck not finding mint copies. I just enjoyed going back in time to a wonderful year.

So, I thought I'd complete this journey back in time, by finding an old copy of Bert Weedon's Play In A Day (1963). Hooked up my old Les Paul (bought in 1965) and Marshall 50 combo (1966), only to discover cracked valves. Damn! So close! At least my old Mono copy of 'Beano' still plays on my 1210 Mk2 deck! I can play along, without volume though.

I will finish book 10 of WoT in the next few days. If only I didn't have another 4 after that, I'd be a happy man. Hopefully they will all continue the trend of being sub-700 pages in length. Or maybe if they just let me read the last 100 pages of each book and put the rest into a synopsis, that'd be great.

I have so many books to read, but unfortunately it looks like they will have to be in the September iteration of this thread :'(

The last three are all over a thousand pages long. But the pacing get's better.

I will finish book 10 of WoT in the next few days. If only I didn't have another 4 after that, I'd be a happy man. Hopefully they will all continue the trend of being sub-700 pages in length. Or maybe if they just let me read the last 100 pages of each book and put the rest into a synopsis, that'd be great.

I have so many books to read, but unfortunately it looks like they will have to be in the September iteration of this thread :'(

All 4 are much better than book 10, which is the worst of the series.

Aargh. Maybe I'll just sit down and try to finish them in like a week, get it over and done with. I am looking forward to the ending, it's just the ~3000 pages of dross in between that kills me. I can't fault Jordan in his setting or premise. Hell, it would look pretty great as a synopsis.

Good to know, although ''better''' doesn't necessarily mean good. I am really struggling with this. Elayne is no longer my favourite POV. I'd kill for some Rand or Egwene right now...

For me at least, better did mean good or better than just good. I thought 11 was up there with books 4-6, and the final 3 were up there with the first 3. Just my opinion, but I found Sanderson to be very refreshing with his quickened pace and less braid pulling.

And the Egwene thread that runs through 11 and especially 12 is magnificent.

I'm about to finish Blindsight, by Peter Watts, and I think it's a fantastic book. It took a bit of effort to switch gears after the Farseer Trilogy, but I was quickly sucked in.

The narrator is a fascinating character to whom I can really relate, as he fumbles through various social interactions. I had a brief moment of panic when it occurred to me that the next book, Echopraxia, might not be out yet, but apparently it's just been released.

I finally read The Name of the Wind by Patrick rothfuss and liked it quite a bit more than I expected to.

There's tons of threads devoted to dissecting this series. Also tons of spoilers, unfortunately. It's a fun series to read - much more going on there than is visible at first read-through. :)

Just starting The Sun Also Rises. My first Hemmingway since reading The Old Man and the Sea in high school (which I really loved). Don't know why I haven't read more as I like his style, even though it seems quite different thus far into Sun Also Rises than Old Man.

I finally finished The King of the Crags by Stephen Deas. I was really close to giving up on it at several points. Probably should have. Definitely not reading the third one, this series is just not for me.

I have so many books in my queue now! Fool's Assassin, Mirror Empire, Broken Eye, Magician's Land...yay for so much reading! I started on Fool's Assassin last night on the plane. I'm about halfway through and loving it so far, although it is kind of strange.

There's tons of threads devoted to dissecting this series. Also tons of spoilers, unfortunately. It's a fun series to read - much more going on there than is visible at first read-through. :)

I've been itching to look some of those up, but I want to avoid the spoilers as I'll be starting A Wise Man's Fear in the next day or two.

I finally finished The King of the Crags by Stephen Deas. I was really close to giving up on it at several points. Probably should have. Definitely not reading the third one, this series is just not for me.

Wise decision. It's really not any better. But

everybody gets that they have coming, so at least it was a bit cathartic

Wise decision. It's really not any better. But

everybody gets that they have coming, so at least it was a bit cathartic

I tried to find a plot summary of the third book, but the most I found was that

a very major character died off-screen. Was it Jehal? I hope so. In fact I hope they all die, they all suck.

Archived