Who is the most tragic character?

Hos the Hostage

Theon tops it for me, Sam isn't far off though with another unaccepting dad.

He gets a bunch of friends in the wall, lots of books to read, he makes a ranging north in look for his manhood and then got laid with Gilly. Being sent away by his father was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Poor Jeyne Poole on the other side has a sad story indeed, her father was killed, her best friend taken captive while she was thrown to a brothel and then given to the bastard of Bolton. She even lost her nose -or at least part of it- to frostbite.

I'll consider Jon too; he was raised among his brothers and then spirited away by the bitch of winterfell, he got a nice thing in the NW and then his father was executed, he then got a hot lover who got killed because she was born on the wrong side of a stupid wall. Jon then rose to the highest position among the Night's watch -a lord at last- he then managed to get together a bunch of people with centuries-long rivalries and consolidated one of the biggest armies on Westeros just to be stabbed by an idiotic fool and his band of assholes.... And he never knew his mother, such a tragic life.

He gets a bunch of friends in the wall, lots of books to read, he makes a ranging north in look for his manhood and then got laid with Gilly. Being sent away by his father was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Poor Jeyne Poole on the other side has a sad story indeed, her father was killed, her best friend taken captive while she was thrown to a brothel and then given to the bastard of Bolton. She even lost her nose -or at least part of it- to frostbite.

I'll consider Jon too; he was raised among his brothers and then spirited away by the bitch of winterfell, he got a nice thing in the NW and then his father was executed, he then got a hot lover who got killed because she was born on the wrong side of a stupid wall. Jon then rose to the highest position among the Night's watch -a lord at last- he then managed to get together a bunch of people with centuries-long rivalries and consolidated one of the biggest armies on Westeros just to be stabbed by an idiotic fool and his band of assholes.... And he never knew his mother, such a tragic life.

Not to mention his greatest wish..

comes true :drunk: :drunk:

Take a look at my photo and then think about AGOTs Robert....

The best of a generation, the fierest warrior, charming, handsom, loved by his friends and full of life. Crashes the dreammy prince con dos huevos and gets a Job and a wife he didnt want.

15 years later he hates his life, hates the chair, his wife, and doesnt love the kids that arent even his. Or worst, he hates the man he has become. Once easy to make friends, now surrounded by people who just lick his ass.

Dreams about a past that can never come back. Yet we have blinks that shows us he still has a good heart: His friendship with ned, the love he had for Jon staying hours along his dead bead, or using only the knife he gave him when he was a small boy, etc....

It always makes me so sad.

Take a look at my photo and then think about AGOTs Robert....

The best of a generation, the fierest warrior, charming, handsom, loved by his friends and full of life. Crashes the dreammy prince con dos huevos and gets a Job and a wife he didnt want.

15 years later he hates his life, hates the chair, his wife, and doesnt love the kids that arent even his. Or worst, he hates the man he has become. Once easy to make friends, now surrounded by people who just lick his ass.

Dreams about a past that can never come back. Yet we have blinks that shows us he still has a good heart: His friendship with ned, the love he had for Jon staying hours along his dead bead, or using only the knife he gave him when he was a small boy, etc....

It always makes me so sad.

There are so many tragic characters in the series, a good case could be made for any of them.

Robert, for all his flaws, is a terribly tragic character. He never got the chance to be the man he could have been.

Who isn't tragic?

I agree with pretty much all the characters mentioned. I also think Brienne has a really tragic path. She's an unattractive misfit, all her siblings died young, she was frequently rejected and then sexually harassed and mocked by a group of men, told she'd deserve it if she'd been raped, etc etc. She finally found something she was good at even though most of the world didn't accept her in that role, and then she had to see the man she loved die while she was sworn to protect him, and got blamed for it. That's before Jaime. Meeting Lady Stoneheart, the revenant version of yet another person she essentially failed, and then being forced to face the impossibility of keeping all her oaths and choosing to save an innocent kid over the man she now loves (yet another person who was severely damaged under her protection) is just the icing on the cake. Plus getting SO close to Arya and getting her face mauled and...well, everything else. It's all kind of a bummer, and she's barely twenty.

The women Ramsay named his dogs after

and everyone who ran afoul of him.

So many others- Tysha, Jeyne Poole, Theon (never thought I'd feel bad for him but ADWD...), Sam, Tyrion, Jon and all the Starks, Elia (gods what a horrific death!), Shireen, all the smallfolk. Who can pick? One's worse than the next in some way or other.

Well RB actually could have had a decent life if he just changed his wild habits, there are many more people who got worst deals in life then RB.

That's the point of a tragedy though, a character's downfall and misery being brought upon him due to his tragic flaw.

Archived