Football LXXXVI - Transfer window aftermath

baxus

What on earth is a Tancredi Palmeri

Tanc is an Italian journo famous for:

1) Speaking transfer shit above and beyong even other journos;

2) For being a bit of a bad perv on women

ETA: I saw the Guidetti thing. Something about technicalities and such. You need a striker so fucking badly...

Yeah. I mean, he isn't the greatest finisher, but he is better at it than Giroud and he gets into position well. It is useful that he can play other positions (in a lot of ways, from wide he offers more than Walcott or Podolski, though he doesn't score nearly as many obviously), but if Wenger doesn't play him front-and-center while Giroud's out he's mental.

Plus, I think he'll fit excellently into Arsenal's passing game. He rarely got the chance to tiki-taka for us because it was never a strength of the team, but over the past few seasons when we've done it well it's usually been with him around.

Anyway, I should stop talking about Welbeck for a bit. Falcao yay!

There's a graphic doing the rounds showing that in terms of Goals per 90 Minutes in the 2013/2014 season Welbeck was the 4th best finisher in the league. Only Aguero, Suarez and Sturridge produced a better value than he did, while Rooney and RVP trailed him by a significant amount.

Obviously stats aren't everything, but Welbeck's problems finishing have been somewhat exaggerated (another not-everything stat I heard on the BBC was that he and Sturridge both finish 25% of their chances, and yet Sturridge is far less maligned than Welbeck).

I see that Stefan Šćepović has signed for Celtic after all.

The transfer fee reported by Serbian media is 2.3 million pounds.

The funny thing is that his father played for Partizan Belgrade (as did Stefan and his brother Marko) and scored a goal that knocked Celtic out of some European competition back in '89 :)

The more I think about it, the more I like the Welbeck transfer for us. As much as he was a panic deadline buy, he could well be part of a long-term solution at striker.

He now becomes a part of our solid young core - last I counted, 9 players 25 or under who could be reasonably assured of first-team chances (Welbeck, Sanchez, Walcott. Ox, Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Chambers, Gibbs). If we can hang onto those guys for the next few years and develop them then they really could be winning multiple trophies in the future.

For all of Wenger's 'failings' and his reticence to patch up obvious gaps in our squad, he has done a pretty good job of rebuilding and refreshing the team with good young players. I always thought one of Ferguson's great strengths was his ability to continually build new teams over many years, something that guys like Mourinho and Guardiola are yet to do. They haven't stayed in one place long enough to have the challenge of finding another generation of players to rely on once their first-generation favourites are gone. While Wenger did have that 9 year gap, he could prove in the next few years that he's capable of doing it too.

EDIT: Make that 10 players if you count Joel Campbell...who Wenger seems reluctant to use.

He's reluctant to use Campbell but refuses to sell him. Campbell's agent tried everything he could to force a move to Benefica. I have to imagine his time is coming (I hope anyway). Have to remember, that in the last few games, Debuchy was red carded, Koscielny was taken out early with an injury and Ramsey was red carded. That completely changes the nature of the subs. He was used against Everton and we scored 2 goals in 7 minutes even though he wasn't really involved.

Yeah, I want to see Campbell get some full game time so we can see what he's like. If everyone's healthy he's going to find it hard to get a spot - presumably the forwards would include Giroud, Welbeck, and one of Sanchez/Walcott (they both can't play on the wing, one of them would have to be a forward). Which leaves one of Sanogo or Campbell on the outer. If Campbell were ever going to be used, it would have to be around about now, when Giroud and Walcott are both out and Sanogo doesn't look too convincing.

Yeah, I want to see Campbell get some full game time so we can see what he's like. If everyone's healthy he's going to find it hard to get a spot - presumably the forwards would include Giroud, Welbeck, and one of Sanchez/Walcott (they both can't play on the wing, one of them would have to be a forward). Which leaves one of Sanogo or Campbell on the outer. If Campbell were ever going to be used, it would have to be around about now, when Giroud and Walcott are both out and Sanogo doesn't look too convincing.

Yea, he definitely faces a hard battle. He'll have to show something in the league cup games to get some real time. He's just low down on the totem pole when it comes to experience even if we, as fans, think he can offer something.

Also, looks like Walcott is back in training or will soon be. Exciting to have him back. I don't think he'll be ready for City but maybe a week or two afterwards.

Although he and Arsenal probably feel he's been on loan enough already, if he's not gonna get any gametime out wide in the absence of Walcott it would probably do Campbell good to go on loan to a Premier League team now. Probably somewhere like Burnley, who urgently need firepower and play the right kind of tidy football under Dyche to be useful to Arsenal in developing him.

Swansea would be the ideal except he isn't guaranteed first-team action there either, though he'd be a threat to Routledge on the left.

Although he and Arsenal probably feel he's been on loan enough already, if he's not gonna get any gametime out wide in the absence of Walcott it would probably do Campbell good to go on loan to a Premier League team now. Probably somewhere like Burnley, who urgently need firepower and play the right kind of tidy football under Dyche to be useful to Arsenal in developing him.

Swansea would be the ideal except he isn't guaranteed first-team action there either, though he'd be a threat to Routledge on the left.

Newcastle are short of striking options, I'm sure they'd take him in a heartbeat.

ST

It seems the Premier League is playing quite well for Argentina tonight. Lamela and Aguero have scored, with two assists from Di Maria.

ETA: Having turned it on at half time, 3-0 almost immediately- another Di Maria assist, another Premiership player scoring (Federico Fernandez, new of Swansea).

Archived