Football LXXXVI - Transfer window aftermath

baxus

I do think it's silly to force a player to play for the national side if he/she doesn't want to. As mentioned upthread, it looks likely that motivation will suffer for the player involved. And it may spread to the team as well.. I really think any nation (even France) will be better served by respecting the decision, even if it is Franck Ribery.

Curiously do you think these rules are fair?

A player should be free to not play if they desire. That is my feeling on it.

Mine too. But read the interview. Platini is first asked about both Ribery and Phillip Lahm retiring, and if he understands their decision. He says he doesn't, and that in any case it isn't their decision. But, he says, if Low and Lahm agree, then fair enough.

The interviewer then presses him about Ribery, and Platini repeats that it's not the player's decision, and that FIFA rules state that if Ribery refuses a callup he gets a three match ban for Bayern. He then talks about how he doesn't understand why Ribery would retire right before a finals hosted in his home country.

Both Bild and the Daily Mail run with the line about FIFA rules and talk about how Platini is 'warning' Ribery, as if this was up to him in some way. It's not. He didn't bring the subject up, it's not a rule within his current influence as president of FIFA and it's not up to him who gets a callup for France or what happens to a player who refuses one.

So why is this Platini being an idiot, rather than FIFA rules being wrong?

Apparently they're well worth their goal too, tempted to watch as it's on the TV here.

It's a lot better game of football than I had expected, that's for certain. Germany still looking ok, but Scotland is making a match of it.

Germany got dead lucky (and a lot of help from the ref) there. Durm got a yellow for a blatant straight-red offence, Scotland spurned a few good finishing chances, and the ref didn't let Scotland take a corner at the end despite almost all of the played stoppage time being taken up by Reus' injury and Mulgrew's sending off.

Archived