What Does Stannis do for Fun?

Lucky_Knucklebone

• 5 months later...

Counts his wrongs.

One for the brother who mocked my hawk,

Spurned my friendship and game me a rock.

Two for the brother who laughed at my wife,

He took my rights and I took his life.

Accompanied by the world's smallest violin.

This :)

btw he had every right to move against Jaime and Cersei's kids. They were not Baratheons. As far as proof: He has as much as Ned and Arryn have, ie., not enough for an era with dna testing, but enough for his era.

Stannis doesn't understand the concept of fun.

I imagine he's a grammar nazi though and enjoys pointing out other people's deficiencies.

Other than that, I think he would really enjoy reading Pycelle's book that he showed Ned and Jon Arryn about geneologies. And generally any books on history, geography or military tactics.

He makes corrections in his own blood.

I've been loitering here for a while and figure it's time I create a new topic. I'll start with something lighthearted.

Does Stannis have any hobbies? We know Robert lives for drinking whoring and fighting. We know that Renly is a social butterfly who enjoys the pageantry of a life at court. But Stannis? His only interest seems to be obsessing over slights and his his claim to the throne. He's not passionate about typical male activities (hunting, fighting in tournaments). He’s no scholar. He certainly doesn’t enjoy human interaction and politics.

I get that Stannis is generally a joyless person and consumed by his perceived duties, but he can’t literally sit around brooding and grinding his teeth 24/7. So what does the guy do for fun? Or at least to distract himself? Maybe GRRM has written something about Stannis’ interests, but I certainly don't recall anything.

I see Stannis as the kind of guy who’d love assembling model train sets if they existed in Westeros (he has that meticulous, OCD quality). Maybe building things; woodwork? Perhaps he paints; it would have to be still lifes because he’s no abstract, creative thinker. I’m sure he’s a neat freak, so cleaning might give him some satisfaction. Maybe he has an amazing, soulful singing voice and that’s how he expresses his repressed emotions in private. Maybe he’s an accomplished knife-thrower (I’m sure he’d practice on pictures of Renly and Robert.)

Thoughts?

i am always surprised at the disparity of my interpretation of the man that is stan, and everybody else's.

to digress, though not irrelevantly, i have not 'holiday'ed for many a year, hating organized merriment, busy places of idleness, metal tubes full of recycled breath, hot weather, cold weather, drinking alcohol only due to its low price, sleeping in beds so recently slept in my unknown persons of unknown numbers, and many further reasons.

by spending not just the time that would have been spent on holiday, but the time organising, and the funds funding, on improving everyday life, said life morphs into one long holiday.

stannis shows himself to me as a deeply laconic, pragmatic industrialist.

he is amused by his own situation, resigned to his ugly wife, determined to succeed but hardly surprised by failure, just mildly put out that further effort must be expended, that could be used to do something else, something new.

stan knows he is the smartest man in the room, unless davos or mel are around, which is why they are not always there.

fun? stannis is always having fun!

his life is one long holiday!

edit: occasionally watches original Highlander movie, on full volume, drawing lightbringer to co-enact the swordfight scenes.

ps: i'm going to watch Highlander. really loudly. i wish i had a sword.

Nothing, Stannis is the embodiment of the Father, and has ascended beyond the need for mortal amusement. :p

But in all seriousness, i imagine Stannis as having a morbid and dry sense of humor, i can see him chuckling over something like a sentry dying from leaning on a rotten piece of a wood barrier and falling to his doom.

Archived