UK Politics: Referendum day!

Corvinus85

Staying together is definitely the safer option for now. Unity is strengh, and all that. Independence is not easy. Y'all scots would probably need to implement compulsory national service too looking at your low population. But damn I was secretly wanting to see a Yes outcome and all the squabbling that would come with it.

I am glad Scotland aren't leaving, although this puts my independence plans for Yorkshire in a bit of a twist.

No, it's an opportunity. Demand a regional parliament for Yorkshire now because you are upset at all the special treatment Scotland will be getting.

So Scottish-centric to think 'Scotland leaving' means 'the UK breaking up'.

Well, given that the UK is the union between England and Scotland*, I fail to see how the view that 'Scotland leaving the UK would be breaking up the UK' is Scottish-centric.

*Granted in the meantime Ireland was added, but most of have left already.

I'm glad about this result. People should be pulling closer together, not breaking apart into smaller and smaller, more distinct countries. The more unity there is, the more easily resources can be marshaled to address challenges and accomplish great things.

Over the coming centuries, my ideal would be the EU slowly becoming a single country, even in name, and then the rest of NATO, including the US, merging, and then other countries, until one day, many years from, all advanced democracies are a single country. That's almost certainly never going to happen, but, to me, that should be the goal; independence and devolution strikes against the heart of that.

Totally gutted with the result. Small victories though, my own area of North Lanarkshire voted slightly in favour of independence, plus the fact we got 1.6 million votes considering what we were up against and the daily barrage of lies from the media.

Scotland will get no new powers. Why should English MPs give us them? We just voted no to having overall power of our own affairs, we had our opportunity to take them and now it's gone.

Well done to the 2 million turncloaks!

Scotland will get no new powers. Why should English MPs give us them? We just voted no to having overall power of our own affairs, we had our opportunity to take them and now it's gone.

It will be interesting to see what the SNP's strategy is from here. If Westminster doesn't cough up extra powers for Holyrood, I could see the SNP making a much more determined effort to go after Westminster seats. And unless the neoliberal consensus is undone at a political level between the major parties, another referendum a decade or two hence looks likely.

(Unless the UK opts out of the EU. In which case Scotland would be screaming for a do-over).

Totally gutted with the result. Small victories though, my own area of North Lanarkshire voted slightly in favour of independence, plus the fact we got 1.6 million votes considering what we were up against and the daily barrage of lies from the media.

Well done to the 2 million turncloaks!

Cheer up dude, don't feel so bad, y'all put up a good campaign. Also you have to live with those turncloaks ;) And tomorrow is just another day an' all that :)

And I'm feeling pretty positive that constitutional change will come and I don't think they'll renege on their promises. They were too public and there is far too much to lose if they do.

The future feels bright to me, I can smell it in the crisp, fresh Welsh air. *snorts noisily*

Also you have the Boarders of many nationalities and colours who will lend their ears to your vented grievances and offer you their company. :cheers:

Why well done? They lost.

Oh I agree; they just don't know it yet. That wasn't a vote for more powers, it was a vote for more austerity, more war, nukes and the Establishment.

The 2 million bought into the lie that David Cameron and co actually cared about the Scottish people. They don't, they care about scottish resources.

Archived