UK Politics: Referendum day!

Corvinus85

That should be about all I need to say on the matter. The General Chatter forum is one I tend to avoid, largely because of the political discussions.

Really? This is one of the best things about the entire forum. The collective IQ and insights of the regulars is mind blowing and the mods maintain strict order. There are so few places where you can have (or mainly read, in my case) troll-free, intelligent political discussions on the internet. I guess it's not your cup of tea.....

No, it really would mean it. Every foreign observer thought so.

Why would Northern Ireland or Wales be content to stay if Scotland left? You could count on nobody from the British Isles having serious influence over Europe ever again.

Why would Scotland leaving automatically mean the other two want to too? Especially in Northern Ireland, where the subject of union vs independence (well, joining the Republic) is an extremely thorny one that Scotland just isn't gonna influence all that much. Wales might be a touch more similar to Scotland, but it's still an entirely different situation and I don't think there's anywhere near the taste for independence there as in Scotland right now.

Gordon Brown. He's being credited, rightly or wrongly, with rallying pro-Union labour voters at the last minute.

It says a lot about how unconvincing everyone else was that Gordon Brown was able to inspire people enough to supposedly make a difference. Although it's not going to be enough to rebuild his political career in any significant way, so I'm not sure he counts as a winner.

What I don't really understand, given that, is how come the Better Together peeps didn't get Tony Blair in on the action - surely they could have done? I mean, I can see how you'd be initially worried about associating yourself with all the controversy that he's created down the years, and perhaps he's hated even more in Scotland than I'm aware, but, well, Teflon Tony for a reason. Once he starts talking, he's really good at persuading people to his side. And (for all my scepticism of him), Alex Salmond was about the only person on either side of this referendum who had any real skill at that, which is how they did so well from what seemed a hopeless position.

Why would Scotland leaving automatically mean the other two want to too? Especially in Northern Ireland, where the subject of union vs independence (well, joining the Republic) is an extremely thorny one that Scotland just isn't gonna influence all that much. Wales might be a touch more similar to Scotland, but it's still an entirely different situation and I don't think there's anywhere near the taste for independence there as in Scotland right now.

It says a lot about how unconvincing everyone else was that Gordon Brown was able to inspire people enough to supposedly make a difference. Although it's not going to be enough to rebuild his political career in any significant way, so I'm not sure he counts as a winner.

What I don't really understand, given that, is how come the Better Together peeps didn't get Tony Blair in on the action - surely they could have done? I mean, I can see how you'd be initially worried about associating yourself with all the controversy that he's created down the years, and perhaps he's hated even more in Scotland than I'm aware, but, well, Teflon Tony for a reason. Once he starts talking, he's really good at persuading people to his side. And (for all my scepticism of him), Alex Salmond was about the only person on either side of this referendum who had any real skill at that, which is how they did so well from what seemed a hopeless position.

Very few Welsh people want independence. That would not have changed if Scotland had left the UK.

I get the sense that you're not a royalist.

Nah. I think one of the last things we should be worried about is what the Queen thinks of Scottish independence. The opinions of the millions of people in the UK are more important than hers. I'm sure she's lovely, but who gives a flying fuck about what she thinks

Very few Welsh people want independence. That would not have changed if Scotland had left the UK.

Yeah, I was about to say, independence is not a popular notion in Wales. Welshmen are loyal. Passionate.... and Loyal to the bone. Its why we make such great lovers.

And Northern Ireland too, I don't think Scottish independence would've changed the hearts of all the Unionists, whose loyalty has been hammered in after eons of sectarianism.

Nah. I think one of the last things we should be worried about is what the Queen thinks of Scottish independence. The opinions of the millions of people in the UK are more important than hers. I'm sure she's lovely, but who gives a flying fuck about what she thinks

Agreed, they're nice for tourism and all, plus having things like the "Royal Post" is quite fun. And I think they work at a profit so thats good but when it comes to politics they're nothing more than a bunch of vaguely amusing garden gnomes to add some pomp and ceremony to the proceedings

So - Charles is the Stannis of the UK ?

You can't compare Charles to the Mannis. I'd follow Stannis through hell and back, so I would.

Anyone seen all the conspiracy theories from the yes side with their "evidence" of vote rigging?

Nah, I haven't heard anything. What evidence has been provided?

Sky News posted a picture from one of the (smallest) council areas counting centres where there were a big pile of ballots on a table labelled "no", and some of the ballots were yes votes. Sky News admitted later that night that the votes had just been put on the table before being distributed to counters, but of course that didn't stop the conspiracy theories from happening.

Another is a women from Dundee counting station sorting the votes into yes/no piles. At one point in the video, she moves a vote from the "no" pile over to the "yes" pile and two votes over from the "yes" to the "no" pile. You can't actually see what's on the ballots, but of course people are jumping to "SHE WAS RIGGING THE VOTES". To me it just looks like a mistake, but either way, Dundee was one of the few places that actually voted yes, and even if she was doing something shady, it would only have benefited the no side by a single vote.

The last is a video of a poor counter putting one of the fraudulent ballots from Glasgow into an envelope as evidence for the police. He wrote on the envelope and it looks like he was writing on one of the ballots so of course the conspiracy brigade is seeing something more shadey going on there.

The sky news coverage apparently showed yes ballot papers in no pile in Dundee and people ran with it, despite Yes Dundee saying that the ballots hadn't been counted yet and they were just being put into piles so it would be easier to count.

There's another video going around which shows a guy in a high vis jacket (at a distance) writing on a piece of paper (the video can't make out what he's writing or if its even a ballot paper) - which some yes people are now alleging is a guy stacking the votes in favour of NO

I heard this morning that 75% of the 16-18 year olds voted YES. Now, we had heard this group was actually not that inclined to vote for independence. Do people think this result is right: was there an especially massive swing to YES in that demographic?

I read somewhere that this was based in about 20 people, this pool is not very trustable.

Archived