UK Politics: Referendum day!

Corvinus85

From what I've seen UKIP seem to be England's 'rebellion' party, much like the SNP is for Scotland. People grow frustrated with the main three and vote SNP or UKIP. I have seen a disturbing amount of UKIP support in the past year, even in Scotland. However, I don't live in England so can't tell if social media is representative of that. With the way things are going, I find it hard to believe Labour will win a majority in Scotland, they seem to be as hated as the Tories these days.

From what I've seen UKIP seem to be England's 'rebellion' party, much like the SNP is for Scotland. People grow frustrated with the main three and vote SNP or UKIP. I have seen a disturbing amount of UKIP support in the past year, even in Scotland. However, I don't live in England so can't tell if social media is representative of that. With the way things are going, I find it hard to believe Labour will win a majority in Scotland, they seem to be as hated as the Tories these days.

UKIP is mainstream in England, and English-speaking Wales, but not yet in Scotland. The SNP picks up the anti-Westminster vote that UKIP gets South of the Border.

Labour has gigantic majorities in most of its Scottish seats, but, we may a huge rebellion in Glasgow.

I just saw this on Facebook.

Lol. Just lol. They can't get independence through democratic means, so they're planning on (essentially) taking it by force. "The 45" are turning into such a cult. What an embarrassment.

I do think they need to scrap the name, it comes across as patronizing for the 55% who voted No. However, I think "The 45" have been admirable so far, they are keeping the candle burning and not given up. "Yes" had a majority in all age groups beneath 55 so technically the future generation is in favour of Independence. If Westminster don't play their cards right then this issue will not die down, especially with Social media (major influence for younger generation) spurring it on.

Anyone, saw the Braveheart meme's circulating around-

http://www.abc.es/Media/201409/19/mel-gibson_xoptimizadax--330x280.jpg

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bx4C7SqIQAApKWv.jpg

:lol:

Careful that below 55 figure doesn't come from that one Ashcroft poll. I've seen polling evidence from yougov that suggests all age groups, apart from the 25-39s (my age group, incidentally) were against.

The last ICM poll showed No slightly ahead among 16-24 year olds, and slightly behind among 35-54 year olds. MORI had No slightly behind among 16-24 year olds and slightly ahead among 35-54 year olds. Both had a big spike in favour of Yes among 25-34 year olds.

However, No finished with a lead of 10%, compared to 4% and 6% in those polls respectively. So, the likelihood is No were slightly ahead among all age groups, aged under 55, except those aged 25-34, running about level overall, among the under 55's.

UKIP is mainstream in England, and English-speaking Wales, but not yet in Scotland. The SNP picks up the anti-Westminster vote that UKIP gets South of the Border.

Labour has gigantic majorities in most of its Scottish seats, but, we may a huge rebellion in Glasgow.

I think also (apart from Orkney and Shetland) the protest vote that went to the Lib Dems will go over to the SNP. The Lib Dems aren't going to have a fun general election in 2015.

I think also (apart from Orkney and Shetland) the protest vote that went to the Lib Dems will go over to the SNP. The Lib Dems aren't going to have a fun general election in 2015.

No. I think they'll finish up with 3-4 Scottish seats. I'm astonished how far their support has fallen, c.7% nationwide.

I think the Lib Dems know full well they're gonna get absolutely nuked at the next election, but they can't do anything about it till afterwards. If they try to change it now, they'll still lose all their seats, but the new people coming in would just be tainted by association with the coalition lot. I'd be quite surprised if there isn't a massive clearout at the top after the election and they build again from there.

I think the Lib Dems know full well they're gonna get absolutely nuked at the next election, but they can't do anything about it till afterwards. If they try to change it now, they'll still lose all their seats, but the new people coming in would just be tainted by association with the coalition lot. I'd be quite surprised if there isn't a massive clearout at the top after the election and they build again from there.

Maybe they could bring back Jeremy Thorpe? ;)

The problem is where do the Lib Dems get their voters back from? They've lost to them to each of Labour, Conservative, UKIP, Green, and SNP.

They won't ever get them back. My generation will forever think of the lib dems as the party that lied and raised the tuition fees.

They won't ever get them back. My generation will forever think of the lib dems as the party that lied and raised the tuition fees.

To be fair, that was the right thing to do. I'll never understand why students want worse universities. Especially given how ridiculously easy-going the terms of the loans used to pay them are.

Now if the Tories sell the loans to private companies (or have they done it already), that'll be something to complain about.

Having voted Lib Dem in my first (and only General Election) so far, I can't imagine doing so again. It didn't make much difference anyway as I was in true blue conservatives land, but all the same.

It seems to me (what most folk are saying) that Clegg is just going to have to ride out the general election, so that fresh leadership can make a new start after. But I still think, and hope, they are the third party.

Archived