UK Politics: Referendum day!

Corvinus85

Ja, makes sense to me.

Has anyone here ever been to Edinburgh? I've always wanted to go, seems like a pretty place

It's pretty in the "I like old stuff" kind of way, nice to walk in. Lots of interesting museums, galleries and architecture, if you go for that sort of thing. There's a distinct new and old part of the city. Glasgow has some nifty modern art and also the Mackintosh school of art. If your taste is less nerdy, perhaps Glascow, it's got a younger feel to it.

It is, but even so. The fact that there's a vote at all is remarkable. Many of the places going for yes have a lot of people who have been left out of the system, and who don't have much. It's optimistic to think that maybe the promises made by the No campaign will be upheld, but maybe more people will decide to get involved and start asking them to deliver on those promises.

It's over. The BBC will finish the course and wait for the counts to make it official. But there's no path for yes to win.It's over.

However . . . the largest city in Scotland has voted for independence. The fourth largest city as well. And maybe 45% of Scotland. That cannot be ignored.

Just pissed off that Dundee's turnout is less than everyone else's. Disappointing

According to the Guardian, there's six councils left to report in and the only two with voter turnouts below 80% were Glasgow and Dundee. Is that an urban thing? What's up with that?

The CBC just interviewed one of the many Quebec separatists in Scotland as an observer, and he said he was amazed how quiet the streets are, unlike the passion exhibited on the streets of Quebec during our referendum. He says there are more Quebec and Spanish flags being flown than Scottish flags.

I'm a bit puzzled why the rest of the UK doesn't have a vote as well. After all, everyone sits in parliament, don't they?

We didn't get one in 1980 or in 1995, FB. This kind of referendum is more peaceful than, eg, East Ukraine, but fewer people get a say. If it means no guns, that's ok with me.

Archived