The Lannisters aren't running out of gold

ANDYJTArrant

Excuses or motivations? A depleted treasury and a need to project an image of power sounds more like a motivation to me.

I think they're playing it up to force on some rather simple people why they need the Tyrell's...if the audience hadn't figured it out on the Blackwater or whatever. Now we know they're poor! And probably have an empty vault with Ducksauce in it.

Probably the stupidest change the show has made. A big fuck you to all people with common sense. I mean how dumb to the writers think the viewers are?

It pretty much ruins the how the lannisters can arm and train their men. It just to ,make the Tyrells more weak spineless money bags who do nothing instead of the powerhouse they are in the books. I don't get it, there was nothing wrong with the plot of Cersei and the Tyrells, why change it so much?

It pretty much ruins the how the lannisters can arm and train their men. It just to ,make the Tyrells more weak spineless money bags who do nothing instead of the powerhouse they are in the books. I don't get it, there was nothing wrong with the plot of Cersei and the Tyrells, why change it so much?

I think the show writors like stripping Cersei of her agency.

TV Joffrey orders the bastards killed, which is what Cersei did. Cersei in the books also sleeps with and manipulates other men, which her TV counterpart doesn't do, and instead of Cersei consciously deciding to stop paying the debt, Cersei has no choice but to stop paying the debt on the TV show.

TV Joffrey orders the bastards killed, which is what Cersei did. Cersei in the books also sleeps with and manipulates other men, which her TV counterpart doesn't do, and instead of Cersei consciously deciding to stop paying the debt, Cersei has no choice but to stop paying the debt on the TV show.

It appears Cersei doesn't have to, the locked in with Stannis, for no real reason other then Davos said so.

The tourney for the Hand (that Ned hated to be associated with) had a winner's purse that was forty thousand gold dragons for the melee and the joust each. That doesn't count expense for the feasts, pavillions, security (gold cloaks) etc. Also, how much would it cost to take half the court to Winterfell at the beginning of the books. These costs are from like a month's worth of time. Robert has been king for like 15 years, putting down Greyjoy's rebellion in the process. How many other tourneys, feasts, whores, and trips had he paid for in that time span?

GRRM said that the winner's purse was not supposed to be 40 000 dragons (which is such a massive amount Sandor could easily have given the Lannisters the finger and lived comfortably for the rest of his life). I don' have the quote but the actual amount is about a tenth of that.

But yeah, I'll say like others that the Lannisters having gold mines running for thousands of years strains credibility a lot. It's a plot device to make the Lannisters rich, so I let it pass, but if gold was so commonplace in the Westerlands that you can mine it for so long and still be filthy rich, shouldn't it have much less value?

The way I saw that was the show was making Joffrey even more of a monster than he was in the books, like him brutalizing the prostitutes. I never realized that, at the same time, they were making Cercei more sympathetic.

The way I saw that was the show was making Joffrey even more of a monster than he was in the books, like him brutalizing the prostitutes. I never realized that, at the same time, they were making Cercei more sympathetic.

He also shot beggars with his crossbow (in Clash). But yeah, about Cersei, they like to make her sympathetic.

But yeah, about Cersei, they like to make her sympathetic.

The hilarious part is that they are bad at it. Book readers resent that the character is being so heavily whitewashed (and robbed of agency), while non-book readers still view her as a villain (just a far less entertaining one than she would have been had the show stayed true to the books). Overall, the changes have worked against Cersei. Not only has she been declawed, but D&D have yet to convince a significant portion of the audience to actually have sympathy for her. Most people didn’t even care that Cersei (the person) had been raped in Season 4. They were much more concerned about the state of her rapist’s character development.

I hope D&D can pull off Cersei’s arc next season because it was A LOT of fun in the books, but I’m getting worried that they are going to botch it like they botched the sept scene.

Probably the stupidest change the show has made. A big fuck you to all people with common sense. I mean how dumb to the writers think the viewers are?

The big "fuck you" to people with common sense is that the same gold mines are still productive after thousands of years of use, and that gold is still a valuable commodity despite there being ridiculous amounts of it throughout the world, also the Lannisters being so rich as to be able to lend millions of pieces of gold and still be by far the richest house.

Many parts of the show defy common sense, this is not one of them, this is where the show makes something that is outrageous in the books slightly more believable (though the fact that the gold mines only dried up a few years ago doesn't exactly add to the realism.

Archived