NFL Week 4-5: At the end of the first quarter...

Trebla

Even if the Patriots play a good deal better than they did last night, it wouldn't be enough to win against the Bengals. In order to have a shot, they have to improve dramatically in a single week, on short rest. Not saying it can't be done, because B&B have pulled a rabbit out of the hat before, but I don't expect it.

I think the Bengals will win, especially with Marvin Jones and Vontaze Burfict coming back, but I still hate counting out the Patriots after an embarrassing loss. Given Brady is like 2 for the world throwing over 10 yards, we should be ok. My worry really is Dalton since he has yet to play well on the national stage in his three years in the league.

Even if Edelman had kept running, the ball would have either been an overthrow or a pick -- there was double coverage, if I remember correctly.

The lack of Dobson and Thompkins is mind-boggling. I get that they think they're not good enough to play -- but really, how could it be worse? LaFell showed signs of life, finally (helps when Brady hits him at chest level instead of aiming at his ankles), but Amendola is useless (on Vereen's long run before the LaFell touchdown, Amendola whiffed on a block that would have sprung Vereen even further), relying on Edelman this much is going to get him killed, and Gronk can't run any more, and seems to be needed to block anyway. Hey, here's an idea... maybe if they'd beat the $2.5 million offer sheet for Emmanuel Sanders, you wouldn't have to be playing all these petty, shitty games with healthy scratches on the 2nd-year WRs you apparently thought were going to be the future of the offense.

What they let happen to the OL is intolerable. Monday night on the road in Kansas City is not the night to be playing mix and match with your line! Oh, but maybe it's better to do that then, than to wait for Cincinnati.

What an ugly season. What an ugly way to wind down Brady's career here.

At least Mankins were still around, Brady could finish what is most likely his last season in New England in dignity, rather than buried beneath defensive linemen in a body cast.

So that was by FO Brady's third worst game ever. The two games worse than that were his 2009 game against Baltimore where quarterbacking was considered completely optional (Joe Flacco threw 10 times and completed 4 passes!) and the Lawyer Milloy revenge game. He did have some fairly bad games last year as well, but also came back and did very well the next couple of weeks. It's probably not fair to say that he is done. But it's also fair to say that this season is likely not going to be super awesome for Pats fantasy players.

It's the same thing that happened early last year. Without a healthy Gronk, he has no weapons. His receiving corps is a joke. Look at the guys the other elite quarterbacks in the league are throwing to.

I do still have to thank BB for Dez Bryant. He traded with the Cowboys in 2010 so they could leapfrog the Ravens and pick Bryant. It seemed like BB was more interested in keeping a good receiver out of Baltimore than actually drafting a good receiver.

Even if the Patriots play a good deal better than they did last night, it wouldn't be enough to win against the Bengals. In order to have a shot, they have to improve dramatically in a single week, on short rest. Not saying it can't be done, because B&B have pulled a rabbit out of the hat before, but I don't expect it.

The Patriot's problems are systematic and not the result of poor performances by one or two players. The offensive line troubles are the result o trading away the best O-lineman because you wanted to "save money" under the cap; you cannot just grow a Logan Mankins and you cannot ask two rookies to leap in experience and talent in the span of a week or two. Maybe a more pressing problem on the O-line is Nate Solder who s getting beat in almost every one-on-one situation. Having a LT who cannot actually block creates a dumpster-fire in front of Brady requiring him just throw and settle for either 4 yard completions or incompletions... or an INT.

Meanwhile, the Patriots have no wide receivers - or more accurately, they have no wide outs who they decide to dress for actual games. Both Kembrel Thompkins and Aaron Dobson were deactivated for the game, no justification given. Brady has shown a good comfort level with Thompkins and Dobson has shown that he can ply in fits and spurts. Both Thompkins and Dobson get defenses to have to cheat back and pretend that the Pats can maybe use the second fifteen yards of the field.

But hey- why not just throw to Vareen and Amendola?

On defense, they cannot stop the run. The Pats are now 25th in total run defense. Wilfork is all done; he cannot move around to actually stop good running backs; he has looked utterly hapless against the Dolphins and Chiefs- the only teams that have had actual running games. On the pass, while I think Chandler Jones was misused last night, he cannot do it alone. I have never warmed to Rob Nankovitch because he's the clinical definition of a JAG. There is nothing special about him. Jamie Cllins CANOT get off a block to save his life. The DBs are really Revis and a bunch of mediocrity. I think Mayo and Hightower can play football but they are small deposits in a sea of squalor.

In the end, the Pats can no longer cover this up. This is the way things like this end. They end when everything fails in unison because ... well... because they had been failing FOR YEARS just ... you could cover it up. But when that last cover-up, that one cure-all fails, you go from "being able to make it work" to "exposed." And once you are exposed, everyone knows it.

In sports it easy; once boxers knew that Tyson' jab was gone, they could actually box him. Not to be overly dramatic, but once Russia showed it did not have the infrastructure to defend itself against Japan in 1905, it was a feeding frenzy to get them to war and lead to their ultimate and total demise during WWI. All of those "exposures" were nothing more than the loss of the last bits of camouflage that held in place that thin veneer of capability.

Since 2005 that veneer was Tom Brady. He covered up terrible Wide Outs (Patten, Cadlwel, Gaffney) and horrible defenses (In 2011 Pats were ranked 31st in total defense; they made it to the Superbowl). He covered up TREMENDOUS mistakes in free agency (look at how much they paid Adalius Thomas... then try to remember who he was... ; Chad Ochocinco, Albert Heynesworth) and the very terrible drafts- again, look at the swings and misses with #1 draft picks and in whole draft classes (the 2007 draft stands out). He has covered up injury-riddled seasons (2013- made it to the AFC Championship game) and unfathomable off-the-field distractions (Aaron Hernandez).

But he's 37. And sometimes you have to play TO HIS STRENGTHS and not hope he covers up YOUR weaknesses.

I had a good things going when I played "Evil Patriots" and I enjoyed it. But those days have been over for quite some time. and we have only failed to notice it because .... well ... because Darth Vader could cover up for the decrepitude.

Not to put too fine a point on it, though, but this is how dynasties die.. to thunderous applause....

Logan Mankins was traded away not just for cash, but because he was showing his age, it was clear he was as good anymore.

And that may be true. Frankly, I have watched TB games and I think he's their best O-lineman.

He was the Pats best O-lineman and that could not be more apparent right now; the O-line is clown college out there. Mankins was not going to take a pay cut so they rerouted him. Had he taken he cut, the Pats WOULD NOT have gotten rid of him. That means they thought he could still play. I think looking at what the Pats are left with now, it seems readily apparent that the staff over-rated the remaining O-line and underestimated how much help they needed.

Manning was not going to take a pay cut so they rerouted him.
Yeah, I can't believe they cut Manning. This team would be amazing with him and Brady on the same team. Think of the trick plays alone! And Brady has to be a better receiver than at least half the wideouts the Pats have now.

And that may be true. Frankly, I have watched TB games and I think he's their best O-lineman.

He was the Pats best O-lineman and that could not be more apparent right now; the O-line is clown college out there. Mankins was not going to take a pay cut so they rerouted him. Had he taken he cut, the Pats WOULD NOT have gotten rid of him. That means they thought he could still play. I think looking at what the Pats are left with now, it seems readily apparent that the staff over-rated the remaining O-line and underestimated how much help they needed.

I think part of Solder's problem is not having Mankins next to him. Over and over again I hear that cohesion and communication are most important to an OL, and Belichick traded away their bell cow a week before the season.

Yeah, there's reasonable thought that says that their line sucks now, but will gel as the season goes on. That doesn't remove the problems with their receivers or their defense, but it is something.

I fixed it.
YOU'RE SITTING ON A GOLD MINE, ROCKROI

I didn't watch the game last night, but it seems the NFL somehow has reached new reaches of sucking.

I saw this too and I think its absurd. Let the guy do his version of Teebowing.

The NFL announced that Abdullah should not have been flagged. The official saw him slide to the ground and automatically threw the flag. It was a fuckup, not a massive Anti-Muslim debacle.

In the first four weeks, there have been 13 primetime games (counting both MNF season openers). Of those, only 5 have had a margin of less than 20 points. NFL isn't doing itself any favors with all these blowouts.

I was thinking about this. I didn't have the exact numbers (thanks!) but it does seem to me that, for some reason, primetime has been the kiss o' death for competitive games so far. What, are the players self-conscious when they know the eyes of the whole country are on them or something?! :P

Not to put too fine a point on it, though, but this is how dynasties die.. to thunderous applause....

First off I just want to say that I think the reports of the Pats death are somewhat exaggerated. It doesn't look good, granted, but we are only 4 weeks in. We all know Belicheck is a wizard who's probably better at getting more out of less than any HC in this league.

Secondly, this is all strangely bittersweet to me. I have to admit I enjoy watching them fail, but it's odd to say the least. They've been one of (if not THE) steadiest barometer in this league to measure yourself against. Going into Foxborough and winning (or even just playing a close game) has meant something for a long time.

First off I just want to say that I think the reports of the Pats death are somewhat exaggerated. It doesn't look good, granted, but we are only 4 weeks in. We all know Belicheck is a wizard who's probably better at getting more out of less than any HC in this league.

This is part of the problem; we have grown somewhat complacent in evaluating the Patriots by falling for the mirage that reads "Well, you got Brady, you got Belichick- THEY WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!" Well... no. You need a supporting structure that probably includes an offensive line, a D line, a running game, wide receivers, tackling, a pass rush. I think that once you view the Pats as just another tea... you should come to a conclusion that resembles... panic...

The local media here has been making much of the comments made by Tent Dilfer and Steve Young BEFORE the game and how Brady is not being treated fairly by the Pats and Belichick. Its hard to ignore Young and Dilfer's comments and just how dissatisfied with Brady over how the Krafts and Belichick has handled him. Brady's complains stretch back a long way - they keep dumping his favorite targets and replace them with ... meh... then Mankins is traded and they draft his replacement.

I guess its interesting that Young and Dilfer make these comments that seem to be calling out Kraft and BB.... and possibly doing Brady's bidding...

Ugh....

Secondly, this is all strangely bittersweet to me. I have to admit I enjoy watching them fail, but it's odd to say the least. They've been one of (if not THE) steadiest barometer in this league to measure yourself against. Going into Foxborough and winning (or even just playing a close game) has meant something for a long time.

I was told many times on these boards that nobody was wishing the Pats to fail, and I knew it was untrue. And I will say, wholeheartedly, that I have no problem with people getting some schadenfreude from the Patriots' incredible demise.

I mean, its okay to cheer when the Emperor gets tossed down the shaft.

Archived