Football 124: Another year, another Arsenal injury crisis

Mexal

liverpool was a malformed semi liquid pile of dogshit today. but, the 'fans' find themselves a twitter scapegoat in mario.

yeah. it was all him. he was the sole and complete reason that the team was garbage today and will get thrashed in the champions league and have likely no chance of finishing in the top four.

people like these 'fans' make me laugh.

liverpool was a malformed semi liquid pile of dogshit today. but, the 'fans' find themselves a twitter scapegoat in mario.

yeah. it was all him. he was the sole and complete reason that the team was garbage today and will get thrashed in the champions league and have likely no chance of finishing in the top four.

people like these 'fans' make me laugh.

Yeah today was probably Marios worst game but the whole team was pretty shit and our defense is the bigger problem. Still think we have a chance at top four though. None of the other teams fighting for that spot have impressed me at all either.

I'd say that the fight for 3rd and 4th spot is wide open. IMO, Chelsea and City will finish in the top two and there is a fair gap between them and the rest. There is not much between the sides vying for the 3rd/4th spot - Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Spurs, and possibly Everton although I don't think that the Everton squad is deep enough to mount a sustained challenge.

We know for a fact that at least one member of security personnel did assault an Albania player. We have no independent confirmation that others did or that members of the police did. But it's clear that the events were chaotic and nobody at this moment can really say for sure what did or didn't happen. We don't have nearly enough information for any fair-minded person to dismiss the allegation, let alone to call it a load of crap, a load of bollocks or whatever other load you usually prefer to call things. If you're doing that at this stage, let's not pretend you've any interest in being objective.

We don't have UEFA officials mentioning police attacking Albanian players and no one else for that matter (apart from the Albanian side that provides no proof), there was ONE steward attacking Albanian players (and I DO agree that's one too many) and yet you insist that dismissing their statement as a load of bollocks is too much.

Trust me that I have no interest in defending our corrupt F.A., hooligans who do this kind of crap whenever they can or our government that's incapable and unwilling to deal with the problem at hand.

As such, I have more interest than you in being objective and have demonstrated it already.

To be honest, your constant hints that I'm this Serbian nationalist incapable of objective perspective on the situation are getting really tiresome.

At no point have I tried to claim that Albanians are the only guilty party in this whole fiasco, nor have I tried to diminish the severity of hooligans invading the pitch, a steward kicking Albanian players or anything that can be seen in the footage.

I WANT those assholes apprehended and sentenced and I want it way more than you because I don't want idiots like that loose in my society.

I've seen the footage before forming my opinion, thanks. I do try to do that sort of thing. There's nothing in that footage that explains why Mitrovic would not have waited for the match officials to do their job. He may have just been trying to be helpful, in which case what he did was foolish and stupid. Or he may have been outraged by the presence of the flag, which you yourself note is offensive to Serbs, and reacted for that reason. Or, as is often the case with human motives, it might have been some complicated mixture of both.

Yes. What's yours? Let's have a Serbian player manhandle the flag and provoke an incident, rather than delay the match for another thirty seconds?

Mitrovic hasn't manhandled the flag, he took it down calmly and has not disrespected it in any way.

Your argument of "but we don't know what he would've done with it" is weak and you know it.

He didn't throw it down on the ground, he didn't tear it, burn it, step on it or anything.

He showed no signs of outrage before getting jumped.

Had you actually seen the footage, or even the image I linked earlier, you would've known that.

And let's not get confused here - he is definitely not the one who provoked an incident.

The one who flew the drone is the primary culprit for that and, if we're going for secondaries than Albanian players who jumped Mitrovic are definitely better candidates than Mitrovic.

The flag in question is about as offensive to Serbs as swastika is to Jews.

I'd really be interested to see your reaction to swastika flag being flown in on any Israel away match and if you'd say "Oh, the <Israel player> shouldn't have taken it down. He just escalated the situation".

You'll probably say you'd say the same thing but we both know you'd stear clear of that remark as if your life depended on it.

and your thoughts on the whole serbia/croatia thing?

That comes under 'Balkans madness in general'.

Eta: I'm not saying they should just pretend nothing ever happened, but the constant insistence of all sides on holding on to past wrongs is what leads to the constant renewal in conflict and tension. It's fucking bollocks is what it is.

i discussed the serbia/albania business at length with my serb coworker. he was actually shocked at how gentle and calmly mitrovic handled the flag. he was shocked it wasn't hurled to the turf and stomped upon.

I wouldn't say I was shocked, but I definitely was pleasantly surprised.

I have two thoughts on this whole Serbia/Albania thing and indeed on the entire Balkans madness in general. The first is

and the second is

Yeah, like Polish did with Russians. ;)

Easier said than done, mate.

Yeah, like Polish did with Russians. ;)

Easier said than done, mate.

There's definitely some truth to what you say, and I'm not exactly unguilty of taking pops at Russia (usually, in my defence, unserious ones), but the situation between Poland and Russia is nowhere near as constantly-on-the-verge as what goes on in the Balkans. I mean, during Euro 2012 Poland played Russia on Russia's independence day, in Warsaw, with Russian fans having a patriotic march through the streets before kickoff, and while there were clashes, it was nowhere near as big an incident as this flag thing. Can you imagine if that happened between Croatia and Serbia? There'd be murders.

wow. we actually called a penalty on some clutching and grabbing in the box? that is amazing. are we about to see a new age of play and officiating where we insist that players keep their hands to themselves on set pieces or face a foul?

no. that would be crazy.

Crazy awesome. For me the handsiness in football is worse than diving. An embarrassment. I fucking hate it. I mean, I used to do a ton of it when I played, but, you know, do as I say, not as I did.

great satan's flaming semen!

i am watching the opening of the seattle v los angeles match and they have 'landon's favorite band boyz 2 men' singing the national anthem. i could throw up. he did not invent soccer, folks.

will he just go the fuck away already? so fucking what if he has insane numbers in mls. he was too afraid, weak and childish to try a real career in europe. fuck that guy. you want to truly be an impact in the american game? make the rest of the world know your name and respect it. landon is not that guy at all.

i want seattle to just crush them. let his final home game be a complete thrashing. i want two goals from newcastle legend obafemi martins and another from actual best american player currently dempsey.

and this crowd is fucking weak. how can so many fans be so poorly heard? and what is with the fucking confetti?

I saw Donovan play a few times at the 1999 U-17 World Cup in New Zealand where he was a standout player and won the Golden Ball. Really seemed like he was going to be something special.

The baby versions of Oguchi Onyewu and Kyle Beckerman were in that side too. Adriano was there for Brazil. Michael Essien was there for Ghana. Pepe Reina and Mikel Arteta for Spain. Fun times.

Fulham legend Brian McBride > Landon Donovan.

It does annoy me, even from over here, that he gets so much more attention and credit than players who actually worked to achieve things over in Europe rather than expecting the world to fall over itself to adore them: Dempsey, McBride, Reyna, several goalkeepers. Hell, even people like Onyewu who gave it a go despite the success not ever really coming.

Oh, lighten up on Lando. He's had an excellent career in MLS. Who cares if he's not the best? Or if he's an insufferable douchebag? MLS needs history, and he's got a number of records in the league.

And Boyz 2 Men could probably use the work, too.

I'd say that the fight for 3rd and 4th spot is wide open. IMO, Chelsea and City will finish in the top two and there is a fair gap between them and the rest. There is not much between the sides vying for the 3rd/4th spot - Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Spurs, and possibly Everton although I don't think that the Everton squad is deep enough to mount a sustained challenge.

City/Chelsea top 2, obviously. Arsenal third. At the moment I wouldn't be confident of predicting anything else at all. Based on yesterday Liverpool could finish anywhere between 6th and 17th, plus they have an inevitably morale draining game against Real Madrid coming up. United are a defensively fragile catastrophe waiting to happen. As soon as they play a proper team (i.e. City, Chelsea, an on song Arsenal) they will get ruined. Southampton look good but have no pedigree in going the whole season at the top. Everton have the players but the defence is suspect and they keep getting injuries.

He didn't say anything that wasn't true. Unless I missed a part of the interview.

Everything he said seemed bang on the bell to me as well. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that and he may well get fined.

Archived