Bits and Bobs (TWoIaF spoilers)

Elessar

Tywin should have read this, and the Freys:

"One notable custom that the Northmen hold dearer than any other is guest right, the tradition of hospitality by which a man may offer no harm to a guest beneath his roof, nor a guest to his host."

And:

"Notes that crimes in the North in which guest right was violated were rare but were invariably treated as harsly as the direst of treasons."

Loads of Blackwoods in Stark family tree.

So were the Starks NOT wargs before intermarrying with the Wary King?

A few too many hints about dragons/dragon eggs at Winterfell?

Does the stone men attack on (f)Aegon mean he's not fake?

Blackwoods everywhere!

I really really want to know WTF happened at Summerhall.

WTF happened to Rhenys and what was in that letter that upset Argon I so much?

Casterly Rock is a beast. Good thing Tyrion knows how to get in through the sewers.

A+J=T???

What is the curse of the King of the First Men? And does it have anything to do with what Lady Dustin was up to in the crypts?

Wargs of old have lead armies of wolves against the Andals when they attacked the High Heart. So will Arya. It is known.

What happened to the (second) Meagor? He's never mentioned again.

It seems the artists can't agree on what Dragonstone is supposed to look like.

Naathi butterflies give you ebola.

Nettles and the mountain clans.

The Storm King sends Aegon the hands of his envoy. Any significance when compared to the other set of preserved hands?

Visenya is so badass.

Maid so Fair, GRRM said Dragonstone was a pain to all the artists. The one he seemed to take as the most accurate is in the front of my copy of the book...ummm, can't work out who the artist was. Looks kind of similar to Barad Dur

Tywin should have read this, and the Freys:

"One notable custom that the Northmen hold dearer than any other is guest right, the tradition of hospitality by which a man may offer no harm to a guest beneath his roof, nor a guest to his host."

And:

"Notes that crimes in the North in which guest right was violated were rare but were invariably treated as harsly as the direst of treasons.

The book was finished after the RW, I assume? :lol:

Does the stone men attack on (f)Aegon mean he's not fake?

What happened to the (second) Meagor? He's never mentioned again.

After reading (about the Targs at least), I think that Aegon DEFINITELY TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY has Targ blood, and not necessarily Blackfyre. He could easily be son of any Targ that was around. They're like so many.

Considering that GRRM said that one of the threes heads isn't necessarily a Targaryen, that could easily include him.

The book was finished after the RW, I assume? :lol:

After reading (about the Targs at least), I think that Aegon DEFINITELY TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY has Targ blood, and not necessarily Blackfyre. He could easily be son of any Targ that was around. They're like so many.

Considering that GRRM said that one of the threes heads isn't necessarily a Targaryen, that could easily include him.

The Brightfyre theory could always use a new devotee ;)

It's kind of strange to think of a seperate Bittersteel line imo. If he and Calla BF ever had issue, they would surely wed back into the main Blackfyre line. Pretty sure that they practised incest readily.

One thing I thought might be the case is that Maelys killed his Blackfyre rival and then got rid of that man's heirs and his political rivals, e.g. Serra and/Varys. It would easily explain how a Blackfyre heiress could have ended up in a pillow house and her brother ended up castrated. It also explains why Illyrio and Varys don't seem to bear Barristan animosity for killing Maelys, if Maelys was the one who had dispossessed them.

The TV series maps put Raventree Hall as north of Riverrun, sort of between Riverrun and Ironman's Bay.

It doesn't really make sense for the Blackwoods to be the opposite side of the Trident to the Brackens, the text supports the idea that Raventree Hall is fairly close to Stone Hedge.

I noticed that too. It certainly explains things, namely how the horn could bring the Wall down; an earthquake would do it. But that also brings up the questions of:

What's the connection between the Horn and the CotF, if any?

If the CotF are responsible for the Horn, why would they want it to be used (assuming it was created to take the Wall down) and why create it at all? Does this support the "CotF side with the Others" theory?

Does the Horn predate the Wall, i.e. was it originally meant to create an earthquake at that point and now the Wall is there? It'd be funny if it was meant to cause an earthquake to disrupt the Others, but now it'd help them by bringing the Wall down. And of course, if that's the case, whose bright idea was it to build the Wall there?

What causes the earthquake, exactly?

Maybe the Horn was actually a construction equipment used in those weird, inexplicable buildings of the distant past.

One thing I thought might be the case is that Maelys killed his Blackfyre rival and then got rid of that man's heirs and his political rivals, e.g. Serra and/Varys. It would easily explain how a Blackfyre heiress could have ended up in a pillow house and her brother ended up castrated. It also explains why Illyrio and Varys don't seem to bear Barristan animosity for killing Maelys, if Maelys was the one who had dispossessed them.

Or perhaps Illyrio was the Blackfyre descendent from the female line and he barely escaped the wroth of Maelys as a poor bravo he claimed to be. Then, Varys (the son of Maegor Targaryen for my preference) found him and they started their campaign.

Only about a third through the book but things that I have noticed:

Tywin must have been more pissed about Aerys' inappropriate behavior at the bedding than I thought. Pycelle wrote to the Citadel that Tywin was super great in only the second year of Aerys' reign. This suggests that the conspiracy against Aerys started much earlier than I thought.

I think Aerys was correct about his children being killed. It is beyond odd that of Rhaella's eleven pregnancies only three children survived. The first was Rhaegar who was born very close to the time his father ascended the throne. The second was Viserys, who Aerys took "crazy" precautions with. The third was Dany, who was born on Dragonstone where Pycelle was no where near her. All of the rest of the pregnancies (except perhaps the second) occurred while Pycelle was the one in charge of Rhaella's care and after he had already began conspiring with Tywin.

Aegon was born on Dragonstone. This means that when Aerys demanded that Elia and the children be brought to KL in order to assure Dorne's compliance, no one at court knew what Aegon looked like. This means that Elia could have shown up with any infant boy who had the generally right look. This increases the chance that Rhaegar and Elia put Aegon into hiding before Aegon ever even went to KL. This also increases the chances that Young Griff is indeed the son of Rhaegar and Elia.

I am convinced that once we hear about the back stories for both Septa Lemore and Haldon, we will find that they are proven Targ loyalists. I have been contemplating for sometime how Haldon had proved his loyalty. Knowing that Aegon was born on Dragonstone, I now wonder if Haldon is the maester who delivered Aegon. I don't think I need to point out the implications if that turns out to be true.

This also increases the chances that Young Griff is indeed the son of Rhaegar and Elia.

I am convinced that once we hear about the back stories for both Septa Lemore and Haldon, we will find that they are proven Targ loyalists. I have been contemplating for sometime how Haldon had proved his loyalty. Knowing that Aegon was born on Dragonstone, I now wonder if Haldon is the maester who delivered Aegon. I don't think I need to point out the implications if that turns out to be true.

This.

I saw on another thread where some people said that there wasn't a specific naming of other Dragonlord families. They would be correct in reference to the Valyria chapter but not the whole book. In the part about Sothoryos, it specifically names the dragon rider who flews across the continent. So Ha! We do have at least one name.

Archived