US Politics: Election Day 2014

Ser Scot A Ellison

Yeah, based on the ads I saw the 'issues' that the GOP was presenting were "my opponent is basically Obama" and "I'm not Obama".

Riveting policy discussion.

Exactly. There were signs strewn all throughout my town (and I imagine the state) that simply said basic things like, "Fed Up? Vote Republican!" and "Had Enough? Vote Republican!"

I'll hand it to the GOP though, they won on messaging again. They created this mess and have done everything in their power to stop Democrats from fixing it (imagine where the slowly rising economy would be if they actually passed a jobs bill?), and then somehow managed to blame Democrats for everything. It was almost literally the old, "I'm going to slap that guy on the back of the head, then point to that guy over there when he looks back outraged" trick. And it worked. Again.

SYM is daskool?

I don't think theprincethatwasn'tpromised is really aware that these political threads have been going on for a long time (as far back as 2000, from my lurking standard) and there are always one or two trolls that come in and post talking points and give the regular posters the opportunity to utterly destroy them.

I hope you're not calling me a troll

Well, Lee Terry has conceded, so I do live in one of the very few bright spots for Democrats this year:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/brad-ashford-wins-house-seat-lee-terry-to-concede/article_91ef6b1a-6503-11e4-b3f9-001a4bcf6878.html

Was Gwen Graham in Florida the only other Democrat besides Brad Ashford to take a formerly Republican US House seat this year?

Here's a good example of just how stupidly hypocritical voters were, courtesy of Illinois.

These two ballot measures were approved by a 2-1 margin:

Minimum wage increase: Advises the legislature to increase the state's hourly minimum wage to $10

Millionaire tax increase: Advises the legislature to increase the tax on income greater than one million dollars to provide additional revenue to schools

Two to one margin. For our numerically challenged, this means that for every person who didn't want to raise the minimum wage or tax millionaires to help better fund schools, there were two people that did.

And yet, they also elected a governor who steadfastly campaigned on 1) eliminating the minimum wage altogether so his master's have cheaper serfs and 2) lower taxes, especially for the rich.

Can anyone try to make sense of this?

So does actually change anything at the Federal level? The Republicans control the Senate, but they don't have the votes to overcome a filibuster, much less a presidential veto. I guess it makes it impossible for the administration to appoint judges and other such positions without Republican consent, but beyond that all actions still require either compromise or a game of brinksmanship.

Well, it was a given that no matter the election results, we'd still be down for at least 2 more years of Republican whining, the only thing a Republican senate changes is the specific tune of that whining. Now it'll be that truly Republican mixture of whine and gloat - whinegloating, if you will.

Here's a good example of just how stupidly hypocritical voters were, courtesy of Illinois.

Minimum wage increase: Advises the legislature to increase the state's hourly minimum wage to $10

Millionaire tax increase: Advises the legislature to increase the tax on income greater than one million dollars to provide additional revenue to schools

Two to one margin. For our numerically challenged, this means that for every person who didn't want to raise the minimum wage or tax millionaires to help better fund schools, there were two people that did.

And yet, they also elected a governor who steadfastly campaigned on 1) eliminating the minimum wage altogether so his master's have cheaper serfs and 2) lower taxes, especially for the rich.

If this election has taught me anything, it's that I was right in believing that many people voting Republican are genuinely acting against their best interests; they just don't realize it.

Because it doesn't really matter who is the governor, as long as Mike Madigan runs the legislature Rauner won't get to do anything he actually ran on. Quinn had the same issue with the pension reform stuff. The only things that get done are the things Madigan wants done.

Something not even talked about yet, but things got even worse down at the state legislative level. Democrats are now down to only 7 states where they have the trifecta of the governor's mansion and both legislative chambers, there are another 18 where control is divided, and Republicans control the trifecta in the other 25 states.

Republicans now control 67 of the 98 partisan legislative chambers (no counting Nebraska), after winning the Nevada senate and house, the Colorado senate, the Minnesota house, the New Mexico house (that's one's really surprising), the Maine house, the West Virginia house, and the New Hampshire house. They also won outright control of the senates in Washington and New York, so they don't need their renegade Democrats anymore.

The only bright spots are that Democrats held on to the senate in Iowa, so at least things won't get too out of control there, and somehow held on to the house in Kentucky, which is really important since it means Rand Paul won't be able to get state law changed so that he can run for Senator and President in 2016. He'll either have to give up his seat, or not try for the White House.

If this election has taught me anything, it's that I was right in believing that many people voting Republican are genuinely acting against their best interests; they just don't realize it.

You know, I really have to admire someone that's willing to take stock of an event, do a little soul searching, and conclude that they were ultimately right about everything they already believed anyway, plus that their political opponents are stupid.

It's just really refreshing to see.

(I kid, I kid...)

Rauner backed away from his minimum wage position. I heard him on the radio Saturday morning, talking about his "support" for an increase of the minimum wage..... gradually and over time. He also campaigned pretty hard on "I'm not a career politician" and "My wife is a Democrat, so I know how to build consensus!" I am disappointed (to say the least), but I wouldn't view it as a sign that Illinois is shifting to the right. Dick Durbin handily defeated Oberweis. Oberweis scares me more than Rauner.

The false doctrine of "progressivism" has been dividing and destroying our country. It's not in my best interests for progressives to continue to push their disastrous policies unchallenged. I don't like establishment republicans, either, but they're the only other option for now.

So does actually change anything at the Federal level? The Republicans control the Senate, but they don't have the votes to overcome a filibuster, much less a presidential veto. I guess it makes it impossible for the administration to appoint judges and other such positions without Republican consent, but beyond that all actions still require either compromise or a game of brinksmanship.

Yes. Appointments become a much bigger clusterfuck and the GOP gains control of alot of important committee staffing decisions and such.

Archived