Is it wise to get this?

I really want to buy this book, yet I can't for the life of me fathom why it has it been released now and not at the end of the series?

I have a nagging suspicion it will become obsolete the day TWOW is released and I guess everyone else did too before buying it. As honest as it is possible to be having already committed to buying it, what do people who have read the book think? Does the book enrich the world significantly beyond simply remembering what we have already been told?

Would it be wise waiting until the end of the series and seeing if there is an updated version released? In 10 years time, that could make the most sense. Or is it so good, waiting 5 to 7 years until ADOS is released and hoping for an updated version would be taking idealism a bit too far?

It's a great idea to have a reference book of history, and yet, with every book we get more information about the past, and there seems to be some pretty big mysteries still around, some of which our understanding of will surely change pretty hugely on- I'm thinking the Wall, Bran's trips down memory lane, Stark history, Jon's lineage, the Others, and possibly the Doom. It just seems like there are so many mysteries likely to be cleared up that the timing of this release seems really off. Are there really not going to be any paradigm shifts in, say, the consequences of the North forgetting it's old religion? Why there must always be a Stark in winterfell? Will it make an impact on this book with hindsight based on the manner it is written?

So my concern is to buy this version, only to get stuck on a treadmill of buying "updated histories" after each book, or worst of all, to buy this, refuse to buy any rereleases for the sake of a few details, and be left with an irritatingly inaccurate and outdated book.

This book is narrated by Maester Yandel who imparts information to the current young king...originally Joffrey, but the name is changed to Tommen. It is not a full history of Westeros since it is being told through the eyes of a Maester and magic is severely downplayed.

The book is definitely worth buyting to get an Oldtown view of what knowledge a young King should have.

Honestly, just get it for the artwork - it's breathtaking.

The book itself mostly deals with past events so a lot of it will remain relevant, even if the details (about magic, mostly, as it's downplayed for understandable reasons) are ultimately proven inaccurate. If they are, though, I would expect that to happen in the main novels rather than another world book, however, with the possible exceptions of correcting extremely minor overlooked genuine errors. There are some pretty good world building bits, with Aegon's Conquest and more info about Egg and Aerys/Tywin really standing out. Don't expect it to answer any pressing questions though, the book really doesn't do that and I think that's on purpose. You don't address significant plot points in a companion volume.

If you even considering waiting until the series is completed, then I would say do not buy this volume. It's got planned obsolescence written all over it.

One example of this: It is a World Book without decent world maps. I suppose they did this because they want people to still be buying the so-called "Map Book". The obvious thing to do, eventually, after enough people have bought both products, and the publishers want another bite at the apple, is to combine a "Map Book" and the "World Book" into a single volume, or something of that nature. It is one of many reasons to suspect there will eventually be an improved version.

Also, the methodology here was apparently for the co-authors to take some of GRRM's unpublished materials, written for the World Book and summarize and rephrase it in their own words. Of course, there are tentative plans to sell GRRM's actual words as well, at some unspecified future point.

But if you just must have the latest tidbits of information to engage in online debates for the next year or two, then I suppose you will have to have it.

It reads like the wiki that the two authors created. The new maester is a good idea for shifting any mistakes or inconsistencies away from the authors. All in all nice for the collection but not the "stunning" book that was promised. For stunning they should have considered using more color and at least a few maps. 3.5 stars

I'm honestly surprised that some fans of the series are hesitant to buy this book. Personally, I bought both a physical copy and an e-book. The latter in order to word search, or e.g., read while eating. ASoIaF is one of my favorite hobbies though, so I deemed the total ~$60 well worth it.

If you are invested in this series - and I think most people who bother registering on this site are - then this book is a must have. The artwork is beautiful and there is plenty of new info for the die hard fan. I bought the E-book version for $20 and have no regrets. Should there be any corrections/changes, my e-book will probably be updated.

The book is beautiful, filled with information, and beautiful artwork. Totally worth the money

Also, the methodology here was apparently for the co-authors to take some of GRRM's unpublished materials, written for the World Book and summarize and rephrase it in their own words. Of course, there are tentative plans to sell GRRM's actual words as well, at some unspecified future point.

It should be noted that GRRM has actually read everything that Ran and Linda wrote, and adjusted stuff where he felt necessary.

I am a bit confused about people saying there are no maps. There should be maps for each region of the Seven Kingdoms, plus a sort of world map (of the world as it was in the Dawn Age).

I am a bit confused about people saying there are no maps. There should be maps for each region of the Seven Kingdoms, plus a sort of world map (of the world as it was in the Dawn Age).

I think what people are talking about are the maps provided are re-purposed from the World of Ice and Fire and the app - except for the very nice but kind of small Regional maps of Westeroes. There is no BIG HUGE NEW NEW MAP which is why I think that little political map thread is so popular(other than that damn perpetual argument about how many men this house can raise). I actually really like the Region Maps - especially the terrain they provide. What I think could have made the difference is on say - The Reach map - a place like Coldmoat and the Chequay Water.

I'd buy a book this big that was just about the Riverlands - just for maps of the Blackwood's vale or a copy of the map Jamie used with Jonas Bracken. :cool4:

I am a bit confused about people saying there are no maps.

"People" meaning me, I suppose. But I did not say there were no maps, but rather "decent world maps". This was an ideal format to provide larger-scale full-color versions of the maps provided in the main volumes and other sources. This was not done. No overall maps of Westeros; No maps of Eastern Essos; No maps of the Free Cities. But I suppose that including such would have trod on the toes of "The Lands of Ice and Fire".

There should be maps for each region of the Seven Kingdoms, plus a sort of world map (of the world as it was in the Dawn Age).

And IIRC, the Iron Islands, the Crown Lands, the Summer Islands, and one part of the Eastern Sea.

These are all cool maps, but none of them derive any particular benefit from the large-scale format of this volume. Many of them don't even take up the entire page.

Archived