Friendship and money

killacali

My friend and I got arrested while on vacation. I was in possession of a small amount of

marijuana and she (who doesnt smoke) was sitting on the curb with me when we

got busted. When the officer told us we

were going to be taken into custody, I asked the officer if I took responsibility

would you let my friend go and he said no we are taking you both. I felt horrible and absolutely guilty because

I could have possibly destroyed both our lives over a stupid bowl of weed. I did all the leg work checking in on the

case over the next few months. When we

finally got court dates, I was the one calling around to lawyers and finding

out what the next step was. I was able

to find a pair of lawyers for $2,000 each, totaling $4,000. I felt very guilty and agreed to pay for my

friends lawyer in addition to my own. I

had prepared for the worse and refinanced my house to get cash out to be able

to float anything that came at us. When

we got a copy of the police report, the officer quoted me saying I would take

responsibility. My friends lawyer was

almost immediately able to get her case dismissed. I just got news tonight that the court has

offered me a diversion, requiring one year of probation and then a dismissal as

well if I dont get into any more trouble during that period. Now that I know that we will both be ok, I

feel that my friend should help me pay for half ($1,000) of her lawyer. (Not even 100%, just half because I do still

feel responsible.) She is not struggling

and I truly feel that she took advantage of my offer and my friendship and any

real friend would have at least offered to help pay some of the expense if they

could. Out of our group of friends, I am

by far the most well off and everyone knows that the money is still a lot for

me, but is not a burden. My friend has

always been kind of a cheap skate and I feel that if I say to her, if you got

arrested with anyone else you would have been on your own, but because you got

arrested with me you lucked out and I can afford to take care of us both, she

will go into b****mode and tell me that this was all my fault and she doesnt owe

me a dime. I just feel like I thought

this was going to be way worse and I didnt want her to worry about it, but now

that we now it isnt that serious, she should pony up some of the dough to make

things right. I know if I dont say

anything I will resent her and myself forever and that I will never be the

friend I want to be knowing that she didnt try to be as good a friend to me as

I was to her in our time of need. Is it wrong of me to ask her to pay what I feel like is her fair share?

Lolwut. It WAS all your fault. Pay the damn money.

yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and advise not to ask her for money to defend your marihuana.

I think your friend need new friends.

I have been ina very similar situation before and it never even occurred to me to not pay for the fine my friend suffered for my stupidity.

You can't back out now because she got EXACTLY what you offered...

All of the above.

Well you are correct that if someone else in your position may have stitched your friend up and not paid the legal fees, but then I guess that would have made that person a wanker and not a friend.

If you did not pay for all the legal fees then I guess your friend may have been able to sue you for the costs.

It was your responsibility. Man up and accept the costs

'I paid for my friend's lawyer because I felt shit about what I did, but now we're gonna be ok so she should pay for her own lawyer and anyway she's a cheapskate and will go into bitchmode if I complain' basically this?

That is one of the lamest justifications I have ever heard, if you offered something STICK TO IT. How would you feel if someone gave you $2k then demanded it back? I'd feel like crap and that the other person doesn't value my friendship in the least. And she has every right to complain because you gave her something which was clearly not a loan or with any intention for her to pay it back and now you're demanding it from her.

'Friendship and money' as the title? You are clearly putting money over friendship. I would advise her to get better friends. She deserves better.

This reminds me of a guy I used to know who paid off the remainder of his then girlfriend's tuition fees, around £1000, (US$600?). When they broke up 3 years later he demanded the money back, insisting it had been a loan (it hadn't). Changing your mind on a gift of money after you've made the offer, particularly when the whole thing was your fault to start off with, is a really self-centred attitude to have. You've even said yourself that you are by far the most well off in your circle of friends, which means that however hard the extra $2000 may be for you to pay, it's going to be a lot harder for her, when as you already explained, none of this was her fault. Sorry, but I think this looks like a case of over-entitlement.

I posted this for my friend and told her all the same stuff you all said, she is a really nice person and would do anything for her friends, she has helped me before and wanted nothing in return. Theres more back story to Why she feels like this but she just wanted a general opinion on what she should do. Ty for your input.

I have to agree with everything said above. Lawyers see versions of this all the time. You offer to pay the legal bills, things go worse than expected, you want your friend to share the burden. You offer to pay the legal bills, things go better than expected, you want your friend to share the burden.

Doesn't work, either way.

You are a terrible, passive aggressive friend. Merely associating with you got her arrested- for most people, in and of itself that is a huge deal even if it comes to nothing. You get her arrested in a place she isn't even at home, ruin whatever is left of the vacation- because you are too dumb and or selfish not to smoke openly in public- and you think she'd be a bitch not to pay money you (rightly) shelled out?!? Are you trolling us? Because if you are, well played. If you're not, dude, fuck you.

Archived