Tea kettles, electric gizmos, and food fights

Tears of Lys

That is a lot of money for a kettle. If I were you, I'd tuck it away and use a cheap one, and only get the fancy one out when I knew she was visiting. Yes mum, I love my kettle.. *hides cheap one*

Something I can't be bothered with is loose tea. Granted, I've only ever tried Russian Caravan, but it tasted like boiled arse. Making loose tea is such a faff, too. Teabags are fine. Only Yorkshire tea or Cornish tea, mind.

You're right. I now live in a place with enough storage room that I can feasibly store it away in between visits. Kind of embarrassed this hasn't dawned on me yet.

I'm always curious about loose leaf. I've tried it a couple of times, but I couldn't really taste a difference in any of the basic stuff. At the time, it didn't justify the extra expense of loose leaf (so bizarre it costs more). However, I was a smoker and I quit a month or so ago. I'm wondering if maybe I'd notice a real difference now that would be worth the increase in price. I drink mostly plain stuff - green tea, earl grey, a barley tea. Not too into flavored teas. What say you, loose leaf drinkers?

ya know you can de-scale your kettle. then it will be months before you get limescale floaters again.

And to all you strange foreign folk, a Kettle is not just for making hot beverages. Its far quicker to use the electric Kettle than wait for the pan on the stove to boil when cooking stuff.

Months, you say? Perhaps my mum's kettle is too far gone, but whenever I've done it before, the limescale returns with a vengeance. It has a vendetta against me, I swear it.

You're right. I now live in a place with enough storage room that I can feasibly store it away in between visits. Kind of embarrassed this hasn't dawned on me yet.

I'm always curious about loose leaf. I've tried it a couple of times, but I couldn't really taste a difference in any of the basic stuff. At the time, it didn't justify the extra expense of loose leaf (so bizarre it costs more). However, I was a smoker and I quit a month or so ago. I'm wondering if maybe I'd notice a real difference now that would be worth the increase in price. I drink mostly plain stuff - green tea, earl grey, a barley tea. Not too into flavored teas. What say you, loose leaf drinkers?

Russian Caravan tasted like Drum tobacco smells - burnt. I got some loose tea from one of my employers, but I haven't tried it out yet. He even sent me a ball thing that you put the tea into and dunk it in your cup. Odd little contraption, but saves messing around with a teapot I suppose.

For those of you who haven't, you should definitely try the Smuggler's Brew by the Cornish Tea Company. It's a bit expensive, but it really is beautiful. From Looe, if I'm not mistaken.

For black teas I am fine with bags, in general. My tastes aren't too fancy, I get some Barry's and call it a day. Sometimes I'll get a craving for Earl Grey, but it hasn't happened that much lately.

For green tea I like to get loose leaf. I prefer pi lo chun and gen mai cha.

I don't truck much with flavored teas.

Can anyone remember when Hershey Co. bought one of the big European chocolatiers and everyone was aghast (myself included)? It was mentioned during that time that there was some weird ingredient added to Hershey chocolate - the gods only know why.

Can anyone think of what that was? I tried eating some Hershey chocolate after that and could definitely taste a slightly vomit-y aftertaste. It's been bugging me since then.

yes I remember, it was Cadbury's not exactly a premium chocolate but still.

The vilest thing they have done to date is reduce the size of the bars while keeping the price the same.

the chemical added to Hershey's is belived to be butyric acid which helps stabilzes and stops slightly off milk from fermenting.

Butyric acid is also one of our stomach acids which is why you get the Vomit after taste.

PGPR made from castor beans? Or not.

From wiki:

The process is a trade secret, but experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the US public has become accustomed, to the point that other manufacturers often add butyric acid to their milk chocolates.

When I make tea I put a mug of water in the microwave heat it to near boiling the the put in the tea bag nad let steep. Is boiling water from a kettle poured over tea really different?

I feel like the answer should be yes. I'm not sure of the science behind it, but microwaving water just sounds wrong, especially when that water is going to be used for tea.

Archived