‘’Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark.''

Liaraeyne

I believer these are all Dragons which Tyrion has met, thus I rule out Bloodraven.

Old: Aemon, pretty obvious.
Young: Dany, she is the youngest of all the dragons.
True: Jon, the truth of his dragonhood being hidden to most.
False: Aegon, he is not what he claims to be.
Bright: Varys, he could be a Brightflame from Lys.
Dark: Illyrio, he could be a Blackfyre.

I see several folk putting Jon as Young and Dany as True, this seems odd to me.

Dany is the Youngest of all the dragons alive, according to wiki Jon born 283 and Dany 284.

As for the true / false labels:
Jon is a dragon who believes he is something else.
Aegon is something else who believes he is a dragon.

^I never put Dany as young because I think she is the true dragon no matter how you look at it. A daughter of king Aerys II and Rhaella and she brought dragons back into the world. She didn't get burned by the funeral pyre. As Kevan Lannister puts it, ''A person whose blood no man can question.''

But I like your notion of the true/false labels as well.

^Possibly. I hadn't thought of her yet.

But damn there are just too many people with one or two or more Targaryen blood drops...

Well, people typically have only one or two drops of any blood. Even Dany, despite two previous generations of incest - looking at the Targ family free, she doesn't have a much higher percentage of Targaryen blood than Brown Ben or Quentyn.

Targaryens have married members of other houses, but Daenerys definitely has more dragon blood than Quentyn. For example if one of her ancestors marries a Dornish prince(ss), their offspring is 50% Targ and 50% Martell. The descendants of the offspring will be the same assuming the incest is resumed (this is just an example). Quentyn has one Targaryen ancestor, that was quite a few generations back and his ancestor did not practice incest, so their blood kept getting mixed with other blood.

Great quote in your signature btw.

A little off topic, but you guys seem to know Targaryens pretty well, so...

Do you think there's any significance in the gender and colors of Dany's dragons? The Stark children have wolves of their own gender, and the colors seem to mirror their personality (Ghost being white since Jon is separate from the others, as well as snow imagery, etc). I know that dire wolves are not dragons, but I wonder if there's any particular reason other than so Dany can name them after her male family members. And the fact that Drogon is black mirrors his wild personality, but I'm not sure about Rhaegal or Viserion. Any ideas?

The most important thing about the sentence below is that Tyrion is included among all the other dragons. A small dwarf with a big dragon shadow, snarling right in the middle of everything. OH I do love GRRM. :kiss:

‘’Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of it all.’’

A little off topic, but you guys seem to know Targaryens pretty well, so...

Do you think there's any significance in the gender and colors of Dany's dragons? The Stark children have wolves of their own gender, and the colors seem to mirror their personality (Ghost being white since Jon is separate from the others, as well as snow imagery, etc). I know that dire wolves are not dragons, but I wonder if there's any particular reason other than so Dany can name them after her male family members. And the fact that Drogon is black mirrors his wild personality, but I'm not sure about Rhaegal or Viserion. Any ideas?

Good question. I have no proper answer to it, but I have theorized that since Viserion is the white dragon, he will be ridden by Jon Snow, whose direwolf is also white. Don't have much evidence for it other than that.

According to some maesters, dragons are genderless.

‘’Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man dragon with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of it all.’’

If this was the case, we could say that Tyrion is a dragon too. Since it is not, Tyrion is no dragon.

‘’Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man dragon with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of it all.’’

If this was the case, we could say that Tyrion is a dragon too. Since it is not, Tyrion is no dragon.

Keep fighting the good fight.

What I am saying is; in a statement from Moquorro about dragons of all kinds, he includes Tyrion and says he is standing right in the middle of all of them. As in; while Tyrion is physically small, he has a great beast of a shadow and it's snarling in the midst of all the other dragons. It suggests that Tyrion can hold his own amongst these peers/family of his.

This is a huge hint that Tyrion coming to Dany was the right thing, she is his family and they are both dragons.

Targaryens have married members of other houses, but Daenerys definitely has more dragon blood than Quentyn. For example if one of her ancestors marries a Dornish prince(ss), their offspring is 50% Targ and 50% Martell. The descendants of the offspring will be the same assuming the incest is resumed (this is just an example). Quentyn has one Targaryen ancestor, that was quite a few generations back and his ancestor did not practice incest, so their blood kept getting mixed with other blood.

Not by that much as people tend to think.

They are both descendants of Naerys and Aegon the Unworthy (or Naerys and Aemon, if you believe the Blackfyre propaganda; it's all the same as far as Targ ancestry goes). Disregarding the fact that they were not 100% Targaryens either (Larra Rogare, the Arryns...), the first Daenerys married Maron Martell. None of the other descendants married a Targaryen, presumably. On the other side, Daeron the Good married Mariah Martell. None of their descendants in the next two generations married a Targaryen - Maekar married Dyanna Dayne, and Egg married Black Betha Blackwood. (Unless one of them had Targaryen blood, but there's no evidence of that for Dyanna Dayne, and it's extremely unlikely for Betha Blackwood.) So, until that point, Dany's and Quentyn's ancestors had the same amount of Targaryen DNA. It's the next two generations of sibling marriages that give Dany more Targaryen blood than Quentyn, since Martells presumably were not marrying their close relatives. But Dany's DNA is still 50% from Betha Blackwood (no Valyrian DNA at all), and the other 50% is not entirely Valyrian either (Dyanna Dayne; Mariah Martell etc.).

With Brown Ben, he may havee more Targaryen blood than Quentyn, since he may be one generation older than Dany and Quentyn (though we can't be sure of that). Viserys Plumm was almost certainly the bastard of Elaena Targaryen and Aegon the Unworthy. That would mean that the Plumms had just as much Targaryen blood as the members of the reigning Targaryen dynasty, until the generation of Jahaerys II and his sister-wife Shaera, who brought back incest marriages. Since Brown Ben is most likely Aerys II' generation rather than Dany's, it's only Aerys II and Rhaella's marriage that stopped her from having no more Targ blood than Brown Ben. However, it's also possible that there were fewer generations in Brown Ben's ancestry, if they did not marry as young as the Targaryen princes did (Jahaerys and Shaera were in their mid teens when they eloped and got married), in which case he may even have just as much Targaryen DNA as Dany.

Archived