Football XXXII - Wenger In, Out? Shake It All About

Spockydog

Geez, they aren't that good ffs. Get lucky against Southampton and people start looking up odds...

My thinking is based more on Van Gaal's previous record, more than than anything else. He does seem to have a habit of joining a club, losing the first handful of games, then getting everything to click and winning the league in his first season.

I see where you're coming from but just don't buy it. If they win 10 or 12 in a row and get through the Christmas period without faltering with all those injuries (lots of new players who've never played over Christmas before!) then we can come back to it...

Can;t decide which game to watch later. On the one hand you've got the Scousers and the potential for another Brendonian tragicomedy. On the other you've got a forward line of Sanogo, Podolski and Campbell.

Worse than Sophie's Choice, this is

podolski is as good as good as i see it. he has never come into his own at arsenal. where does he end up though? back to bundesliga?

Yea, that's my guess. He wants to play for Koln again. I like Podolski's left foot but I probably wouldn't play him regularly over anyone else. I would bring him in at the 70 minute mark though as a 2nd striker as he can do a lot of damage there.

uh oh, a sociology department has forgotten that working class football fans aren't entertainment or lab experiment. Fuck off cunts. "Even talk to football fans!" We're not a different species ffs

Also, "delicious pies"???? Can tell none of them have ever gone down to watch a game at Millwall before.

In other news, nice to see the lads at QPR and Palace upholding the long-observed tradition of getting lashed-up and kicking the shit out of each other at the office Christmas party. Though, I'm having trouble getting my head around Sir Joseph of Barton stepping into the role of peacemaker. I'm guessing he didn't have a lit cigar to hand...

Well, to be fair, they are going to observe Millwall supporters. I mean, look at the state of this cunt.

I'd managed to forget all about Danny Baker until then :(

Here's another thing on how the working class football fan is being exploited as entertainment from Jonathan Liew:

But the problem comes when you examine the root of the appeal. When the internet chuckles at an Andy Tate video, what is the transaction taking place? What exactly is being sought? Not expertise or informed opinion, presumably. The entertainment value is almost entirely contained in the brusque manners, naval language and broad accent of the soliloquist (and it is no coincidence that these fans tend to have pretty strong accents). When you boil it down, then, the YouTube fan phenomenon is basically the world laughing at a working-class football fan. Well done, everyone.

The undistilled passion of the genuine football fan, and all it implies – noise, songs, shouting, strong opinions – has become a commodity, a resource to be mined, channelled and exploited. In the same way that property developers and retail tycoons piled into Shoreditch because it was where all the cool artists hung out, only to find that all the cool artists had long gone, if you go to the Emirates or Stamford Bridge these days most of the seats will be filled by tourists or middle-class Londoners, wondering what on earth happened to the atmosphere.

I try not to watch too much Arsenal Fan TV. It's bad for the blood pressure. I think it's mostly working class fans though with the odd Nick Hornby fan thrown in for good measure

Bound to be. Oh, man, what a night that was. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it. Back then, Liverpool were an absolute behemoth and nobody gave us a chance. To win by two clear goals at Anfield just didn't happen in those days.

In twenty years time, Alex, you'll probably look back upon that game against QPR in a similar light...

Football, eh? Fucking magic.

Bound to be. Oh, man, what a night that was. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it. Back then, Liverpool were an absolute behemoth and nobody gave us a chance. To win by two clear goals at Anfield just didn't happen in those days.

In twenty years time, Alex, you'll probably look back upon that game against QPR in a similar light...

Football, eh? Fucking magic.

I was on the verge of getting Sergio's name tattooed on my face the morning after that

Archived