Football XXXII - Wenger In, Out? Shake It All About

Spockydog

Well according to John Barnes, Markovic was just trying to "get some momentum" when he swiped out at the Basel player.

LoL

He was trying to block him off from the ball with his arm, which players do all the time but perhaps should be more careful with. It was nowhere near a red card though, shocking decision. It doesn't really matter though.

He was trying to block him off from the ball with his arm, which players do all the time but perhaps should be more careful with. It was nowhere near a red card though, shocking decision. It doesn't really matter though.

Yeah it was harsh, but I can see where the ref is coming from. It would have been better if he'd got him in the throat or below.

Even as an Arsenal fan, I thought Fever Pitch was boring. He described too many games, and after reading half the book, they all began to blur together.

You know, as much as I love the book, you've definitely got a point.

A far more entertaining account of that period is presented in We All Live in a Perry Groves World.

The blurb:

Fans still chant his name, and there are websites devoted to one of the funniest men ever to hit the big time. Perry Groves spent over a decade in the footballing spotlight. Sometimes he was at the top, often he was at the bottom and that's half the reason the fans loved him so much--and still do. This is the most truthful and hilarious book about professional football you will ever read. Perry Groves was the first signing by the legendary Arsenal manager George Graham, and that unmistakeable figure with his Tin-Tin haircut and cheeky grin was a player in one of the Gunners' greatest sides. Now he has decided to tell all about his rollercoaster years of booze binges, girl-chasing and gambling sprees. He's a nonstop fund of of hilarious anecdotes, recounting top-flight games played with a hangover, 125 mph motorway chases with international stars, visits to a brothel with an England World Cup hero and revealing how one drunken escapade ended with a group of internationals beting questioned over an attempted murder charge. This is a unique chance to find out what top-flight footballers really get up to off the field and how they behave when the dressing room door is closed.

I assume Markovic was aiming for his shoulder and missed. Daft get.

I have absolutely no idea what Markovic was trying to do.

There is ZERO reason for an arm movement like that while running.

Some might say red card was a bit harsh, but had Markovic caught the Bazel player's eye instead of his nose it could've been serious.

Gerrard's free kick was phenomenal!

Despite losing and crashing out of Champions' League, I liked what I saw in the last night's match (bear in mind I missed the first half).

Playing attacking style while a man down, equalizing and getting so close to actually winning (that deflection of Henderson's header that was stopped at the line, Henderson's range shot) is cheering me up after all the crappy performances they've put in this season.

On the other hand, there are definitely some things I didn't like.

Number one, Liverpool were lucky to end the match with 10 players. Lovren did some tackles that easily could've earned him a second yellow card.

Number two, I don't think Sterling is handling the pressure well. He just isn't the player that could carry the whole team yet and, with Sturridge injured, too many seem to expect that from him.

Also, Liverpool were rather vulnerable on a break and had they been facing a team better than Bazel, they would probably end up conceding a few more goals.

I guess that's to be expected when you are a man down and need to score 2 goals, so I won't be holding that against them.

All this talk about Wenger holding Arsenal back it's clear that Rodgers is holding Liverpool back to a greater degree. That team is going nowhere fast under his stewardship except downwards.

It's almost as if a man with a god complex who manages people with mixed metaphors and empty envelopes whilst being covered by the second best pure striker in the world isn't actually that amazing at being a manager. Really makes you think.

Archived