Football XXXII - Wenger In, Out? Shake It All About

Spockydog

podolski is as good as good as i see it. he has never come into his own at arsenal. where does he end up though? back to bundesliga?

I actually think he could do well in the premier league, but he's not as young as he was and can be hit and miss at the best of times. You're right though, he's not really reached the heights that fans were hoping he would.

That fucking book

But, Fever Pitch is a great book! Though I heard the American remake was terrible, not surprising given that it was about Baseball.

It has been a couple of years since I last read the book, but I'm not sure about what about it seems to have set you off. It largely deals with a period well before I even started watching Football, I don't know, I found it a excellent way to learn a little bit more about the club. Edit: To be honest, I think it shows what a lot of fans are like, not those specific to Arsenal.

The thing that has upset me more than going 4-0 down to Stoke (and it was 4-0) is the word on the street that Wenger is about to hand Abou Diaby another contract. Ignore the "if fit" part. If Diaby manages to finish a game, Wenger will compare it to buying a new £20m player and all our problems will be solved.

I mean, look at the quotes: "His injuries are never severe but little grade one [problems]."

One league appearance since 2012-13. *shakes head* What would happen if he got a serious injury!?

The thing that has upset me more than going 4-0 down to Stoke (and it was 4-0) is the word on the street that Wenger is about to hand Abou Diaby another contract. Ignore the "if fit" part. If Diaby manages to finish a game, Wenger will compare it to buying a new £20m player and all our problems will be solved.

I mean, look at the quotes: "His injuries are never severe but little grade one [problems]."

One league appearance since 2012-13. *shakes head* What would happen if he got a serious injury!?

But.... but... but....

Think of the children potential! Plus, "it'll be just like a new signing" needs players like Diaby to make sense!

I know a couple of Arsenal fans who hate Fever Pitch and Nick Hornby because of the way it portrays them and lays claim to the whole fandom, or some such, and because Hornby is supposedly a bit of a plastic who doesn't really go to games very often or something.

But I don't know really, and I've not read it myself.

All I've read regarding him not going to games is that he's not fond of the way that football has changed from back then. I don't really get the 'laying claim to the whole fandom' bit, we all have different ways of supporting a club. I don't think there's one 'right way to go about it.

As I said, it's been a while though, maybe I should do a re-read to try and see why people aren't fond of it.

I don't really understand this frustration with giving Diaby a contract. He's going to cost nothing at all to the club, relatively speaking. DJ, I suppose your frustration with Wenger using that as an excuse for not signing defensive cover could be true, but if we're going to do any business in January, it will probably be for a centre-back, as opposed to a midfielder. He also said 'If Diaby is fully fit, he will have a contract at Arsenal". Plus, I so want Diaby to do well at Arsenal, there probably isn't much hope there, but he's an excellent footballer.

Can't argue that he would have been a top, top footballer were it not for injuries. But you've just got to cut your losses at some point. I do think that Wenger has used it as an excuse not to buy in that position; Diaby has always been on the brink of coming back but never quite made it.

I get your point he will cost next to nothing financially but he is costing the club in other ways now (and has been for years). His potential was never in doubt, but it's time to move on.

Yeah, I can see that argument too. We probably will get a DM, or something of the sort in the summer. Arteta's been picking up a lot of injuries this season, and I think his contract runs out too? He might have one more year left, I can't remember.

Yeah, I can see that argument too. We probably will get a DM, or something of the sort in the summer. Arteta's been picking up a lot of injuries this season, and I think his contract runs out too? He might have one more year left, I can't remember.

I think he extended to 2016. Either way, regardless of Diaby, Wenger has to buy a DM. We cannot win anything without some steel in our defense.

In other news, Arsenal game isn't being shown on TV here in the US so I'm likely not going to get a chance to watch it. Err, I wanted to see Campbell.

Archived