With a little help from your friends, RIP Joe Cocker

Littlefingers In The Air

I had the pleasure of seeing Joe Cocker twice, both times at a relatively small venue with seats fairly close to the front. I loved him ever since I saw the movie Woodstock. I had heard him sing before that, but his appearance in the movie did it. I should ask Rocksniffer if he remembers that show, since he was at Woodstock in person. :)

He was endearingly odd in his shows. He'd come out and stand there pretty stiffly, waving his arms now and then for emphasis, and make dramatic faces, but his voice! This kinda munchkin guy with the gravelly voice. He put on a great show.

I had been hoping to see him once again, but he hadn't been in Toronto in 6 years.

There were two songs in particular I really liked to hear him do, You Can Leave Your Hat On, because he added a really sexy, lascivious undertone to the song, and Unchain my Heart, which he sang with such passion.

He will definitely be missed.

Ah ha, I found a video of Unchain My Heart from 2002, which would be around the time I first saw him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9c5fFVtBI

Archived