Stannis not wanting the throne: Honest truth or false modesty?

Salafi Stannis

It should be noted that Stannis is the only claimant to the Iron Throne we've seen who hasn't tried to form a Kingsguard. Dany, Aegon, and Renly all did. Stannis has not.

It fits Stannis' practical side to think the Kingsguard is a silly luxury.

Stannis feels the sleight of being passed over more than he feels desire for power. He's never shown any pretensions of greed or flattery (unlike Renly, eta or the assorted florents and hangers on in his court). He (illogically) beleives that if he undoes the result of the sleight he'll undo the sleight. (At least that's how I see it, not to get psychoanalytical)

But he's not using duty as a fig leaf for his own ambition.

Stannis feels the sleight of being passed over more than he feels desire for power. He's never shown any pretensions of greed or flattery (unlike Renly, eta or the assorted florents and hangers on in his court).

Flattery? Seriously? Once Cat Stark called them both "lord" instead of "king" in their faces. Renly didn't care, Stannis was visibly pissed off. If Stannis didn't crave flattery, then Renly even less so.

Flattery? Seriously? Once Cat Stark called them both "lord" instead of "king" in their faces. Renly didn't care, Stannis was visibly pissed off. If Stannis didn't crave flattery, then Renly even less so.

Meh.. I put that in the category of "damnit, slighted again!" rather than "ooh! I made someone call me 'your grace' again! Yay!"

He intentionally distances himself from the flatterers in his court.

I think he's exactly like Dany on this one, especially since he's starting to believe he's AA: it's a mixture of personal ambition, a sense that they will do justice to the people, a sense of duty, and the feeling that they are destined to rule by the mandate of some greater power(s).

I do think that Stannis in addition has always been resentful of the adoration his brothers got, so he feels like by becoming king he can prove he's really the better man, this justifying his existence.

I think that, within Stannis' grimly custom-based ideology, it is a matter of his already being king, not a question of whether he wants it.

That said, I think he's also fooling himself that he doesn't want it, on some level, because the bitterness as the result of a lifetime of perceived and real slights is another major aspect of his motivations, though one he tries to suppress.

Yeah this. "I am the King" (none of that "any man who must say" crap please, its his reason not a desperate grab at authority), a pretender sits his Throne, traitors try to steal it. Its his, he has plans for rule when he takes it, maybe he doest want it but he absolutely must have.it. The duty and honour passed to him when Robert died and he will not set it aside, etc. Stubborn, block headed bastard shouldve abdicated though.

Stannis is quite a complex character.

The whole "I don't want this" is, as I see it, him realising the situation. He didn't have to be the King. Robert was the King. And the kids were going to be the Kings. He was meant to live miserably for the rest of his life in Dragonstone. But now Robert died and his kids are bastards, he's meant to take the throne, which is his right. Why should she leave others who are not related to his brother take what it belongs to him?

False modesty. In relation to this, I'd also like to be a heretic and say that I don't believe for a second that his consideration of burning Edric was about saving the world. It was about his lust for the throne and he just used Mel's words to justify it to Davos.

GRRM's characters have a rather interesting tendency to lie to themselves or to try to convince themselves of things they know aren't true.

Stannis saying he doesn't want the throne is one example of this, and is undercut by his constant mentions of how he was always slighted compared to Robert

The first time I read the series I believed Stannis when he said he didn't want the throne, but on re-reads I've found it's quite obvious he has a chip on his shoulder and thinks he deserves what Robert had

Then why did he wait so long to do it?

Well he's a jerk, not a total monster. I would hope the decision to burn his own nephew to death wouldn't be taken lightly.

You can argue all you want that he wouldn't have gone through with it, and that's why he waited so long, but all I need to know is that Davos thought he might have done it. That says a lot.

Well he a jerk, not a total monster. I would hope the decision to burn his own nephew to death wouldn't be taken lightly.

You can argue all you want that he wouldn't have gone through with it, and that's why he waited so long, but all I need to know is that Davos thought he might have done it. That says a lot.

Oh he would have burned him for sure.

I think he means it. if he didn't have the true claim to the throne does anyone think he'd be doing what he's doing?

So he does have a claim to the throne. He also wants it as much as Gollum wanted the Ring. Those two aren't, actually, mutually exclusive.

We actually know how a man with a good claim to the throne, a dutiful man with a good claim to the throne, acts when he doesn't want it. That was Aemon Targaryen. He didn't want it, so he stepped aside, and continued to serve the realm in a very different, humbler, role. Stannis, conversely, has been acting like a man with a claim who positively craves the throne.

What the hell does that prove?

Well the KG are a symbol of the fact that you're the king. Stannis so far has not tried to create this so I think it goes to show that being King isn't something he wants otherwise he'd be flaunting every tradition he could.

Archived