The Complete Winds of Winter Resource

BryndenBFish

The year A Dance with Dragons was released did people have a feeling that they could expect a release date that year?

Again, not the thread for that kind of discussion. This is a resource thread for information about TWOW.

Today, in a comment on his notablog, GRRM stated that he still plans to write ASOIAF in 7 volumes. So, good news! No split in publication... yet.

This is less like good news, and more like no news. If he had confirmed a very substantial level of progress, then in that case, that he still "plans" (but does not promise) to finish in seven books (but did he even say or mean "finish"? -- maybe he'll just write 2 more books), might be meaningful.

Was there not an interview with Roy whatever his last name is, who reads his audiobooks, saying that George has another book nearly ready for him to start recording? Or something to that extent?

That was a reference to The World of Ice and Fire audibook, which Dotrice has indeed recorded.

Redditor turned me onto the article where GRRM talks about writing Arya in April 2013. Here it is in its original Portuguese:

Muitos leitores estão impacientes para saber o grau de avanço da nova obra, considerando que o quinto volume, publicado em 2011, levou seis anos para ficar pronto. Mas Martin não revela quantas páginas já escreveu. Perguntado sobre qual personagem está escrevendo nesse momento, fica em silêncio, como se para avaliar a conveniência de responder. Até que fala apenas uma palavra, "Arya", a pequena filha dos Stark.

And here's what I get when I run it through Google Translator:

Many readers are impatient to know the degree of advancement of new work, considering that the fifth volume, published in 2011, took six years to complete. But Martin does not reveal how many pages already written. Asked about which character is writing at the moment, is silent as to evaluate the desirability responding. Until only speak a word, "Arya", the little daughter of Stark.

Think this might be supporting evidence that most of new material that GRRM wrote in 2012-2013 was Dany & Arya material -- though in the picture that King Endymion Targaryen posted from notablog, GRRM seems to have written the Prologue by July 2013. And also the Tyrion chapter that GRRM read in August 2013 seems to have been written post-ADWD as well given that Anne Groell did not have a copy of it in her February 2013 batch of MS pages. So, there's that at least. Does anyone have any links to articles, con-recalls, etc that talk about the parts of TWOW that GRRM was writing when he gave the interview or convention speech?

This is less like good news, and more like no news. If he had confirmed a very substantial level of progress, then in that case, that he still "plans" (but does not promise) to finish in seven books (but did he even say or mean "finish"? -- maybe he'll just write 2 more books), might be meaningful.

This is bad news for me as I strongly feel that the series needs 3 more books, if it does mean 7 books, if it means two more after Winds, then that's good.

This is bad news for me as I strongly feel that the series needs 3 more books, if it does mean 7 books, if it means two more after Winds, then that's good.

It's not news at all. Merely a hope. He's been hoping to finish in "seven books" (while occasionally hinting he might need an 8th) for years now, since before the publication of ADWD.

So, can we assume that the release of the D&E tales this October eliminates the possibility of TWoW being released this year? :(

No. In the improbable event that TWoW is delivered for a late 2015 release, the D&E collection would likely be dropped back to 2016 instead. The publishers wouldn't sacrifice the extra Christmas sales from an autumn release for TWoW in favour of D&E.

Speaking of D&E, GRRM's 2/7/15 comment seems to suggest D&E#4 was not merely never finished, but perhaps never written at all:

Based on his comments during the GoT pilot filming, George had already started writing it in late 2009, before The Mystery Knight was published. When he talks about writing it now, he likely means either 1) finishing it (especially since it sounds like he hit a major writing snag, necessitating its removal from Dangerous Women) and 2) totally rewriting it from scratch.

Archived