College Basketball 2015 MARCH MADNESS and Tourney pick 'em

Ferrum Aeternum

Heh, first time in the tournament and Buffalo ends up in the same half of a region as Kentucky. That's thinking way too far ahead though.

Bring it on West Virginia!

The dreaded 5/12 match up! Have not seen Buffalo play, but I have seen West Virginia play many times. WVU is great at offensive rebounding and creating turnovers.. but is very prone to cold streaks and does not shoot foul shots very well either. Seems that the general game plan is to make the other team play poorly and then capitalize off mistakes and make up for being a poor shooting team by snatching up a lot of rebounds. Athletic teams that can beat the press, shoot, and hold their own in rebounding (like ISU, Baylor) are the worst match-ups for WVU. If Buffalo can do those things, they will win the game. That said... if Staten is back, WVU will be formidable. They've been hanging in there playing without him the last few games, but he's a player than can and sometimes does carry the team.

Obviously I hope WVU wins, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them get bounced in the first round. I hope not though, I'd like to get a shot at Kentucky in the Sweet 16.

I'm happy with this year's brackets. Last year was a hot mess. But overall, they seem pretty fair with a couple that can be argued over. But I can't complain about U of L's placement. I hope they surprise me and make it to the Sweet Sixteen. That would be a great end to this weird year we've had.

I'm actually kind of pulling for Notre Dame to make some noise, they were incredible in the ACC tournament.

The dreaded 5/12 match up! Have not seen Buffalo play, but I have seen West Virginia play many times. WVU is great at offensive rebounding and creating turnovers.. but is very prone to cold streaks and does not shoot foul shots very well either. Seems that the general game plan is to make the other team play poorly and then capitalize off mistakes and make up for being a poor shooting team by snatching up a lot of rebounds. Athletic teams that can beat the press, shoot, and hold their own in rebounding (like ISU, Baylor) are the worst match-ups for WVU. If Buffalo can do those things, they will win the game. That said... if Staten is back, WVU will be formidable. They've been hanging in there playing without him the last few games, but he's a player than can and sometimes does carry the team.

Obviously I hope WVU wins, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them get bounced in the first round. I hope not though, I'd like to get a shot at Kentucky in the Sweet 16.

Buffalo is all about keeping a fast pace with high volume shooting (important, because their shooting % is not great), rebounding (at 38.4/game they're 16th best in the country), and making free throws (which they oddly are good at). Not sure how they'll do against the press. They also have their own injury concerns. Moss, the MAC player of the year, sprained his ankle in practice about a week ago. He played in the MAC tournament games but wasn't very effective. It obviously didn't slow the team down that match, but WVU is certainly a cut above Akron or Central Michigan.

I think Buffalo definitely can win, but I really don't know what to expect of them. Its not that they are particularly streaky, they just haven't played too many teams at West Virginia's level. They lost to Kentucky and Wisconsin (although they made a good show of itself in both games), but both of them are better than WVU. And everyone else they played is a bit to quite a bit worse than WVU.

I'm happy with this year's brackets. Last year was a hot mess. But overall, they seem pretty fair with a couple that can be argued over. But I can't complain about U of L's placement. I hope they surprise me and make it to the Sweet Sixteen. That would be a great end to this weird year we've had.

I'm actually kind of pulling for Notre Dame to make some noise, they were incredible in the ACC tournament.

Me too... I loved the Duke - Notre Dame game. I'd like to see how Notre Dame does with Kentucky. Go Irish! Go ACC (even Duke)!

:bang:

All my UofL friends (despite what I say... I do have some that I count as friends) seem to have the Cardinals' season over, but here I am staring at my bracket and I have them in the Elite 8 as a very real threat to go to the Final Four!

Go ahead and stick a fork in me... I'm done.

:bang:

All my UofL friends (despite what I say... I do have some that I count as friends) seem to have the Cardinals' season over, but here I am staring at my bracket and I have them in the Elite 8 as a very real threat to go to the Final Four!

Go ahead and stick a fork in me... I'm done.

That's really nice of you, but I will die of shock if the Cards go to the Elite Eight. Complete and utter shock! It would be happy shock, but I'd be dead.

I had a hard time even putting them in the Sweet Sixteen. They cannot shoot and we basically have 3 non-existent Centers. Sigh! But I do think Pitino will have them ready for Friday and that first win is a lock. It's the second one, I'm struggling with. I think we're in a good spot to go to the Sweet 16 though.

After watching Kevin Ware play this weekend, goodness I wish he was still on our team. :frown5:

Here's an interesting FYI:

SEC Teams against the NCAA Field (non-conference games only)

UK: 7-0

Arkansas: 2-1

Georgia: 0-1

LSU: 2-0

Ole Miss: 3-1

7 of UK’s 13 non-conference opponents made the field. That’s pretty good. By comparison Duke – who everyone talks up because of their schedule – only played 4 teams in the nonconference who made the tournament.

ETA:

That's really nice of you, but I will die of shock if the Cards go to the Elite Eight. Complete and utter shock! It would be happy shock, but I'd be dead.

I had a hard time even putting them in the Sweet Sixteen. They cannot shoot and we basically have 3 non-existent Centers. Sigh! But I do think Pitino will have them ready for Friday and that first win is a lock. It's the second one, I'm struggling with. I think we're in a good spot to go to the Sweet 16 though.

After watching Kevin Ware play this weekend, goodness I wish he was still on our team. :frown5:

I know that the Cards are down and with Jones out they aren’t the same, but look at their path! If they get past the first round, they get an upjumped mid-major then a pretender from what used to be the Big East to reach the Elite 8!

Michigan State gets Georgia followed by a hobbled Virginia that plays a style of ball tailor made to Izzo’s tournament resume then potentially a Providence team UK beat by 20.

They kinda sorta played okay at Kentucky.

?

That's actually part of the reasoning one of the talking heads gave last night. Also, they put together a decent record despite a ton of injuries, which supposedly is something the committee looks at. They had around 30 DNPs from their starters, which apparently contributed to some of their worst losses, or something.

But yeah, based on quality wins alone, their sweep of Ole Miss was probably their most impressive acheivement (and believe me, that ain't all that impressive). They also lost two games to South Carolina, one to Auburn and one to Georgia Tech.

I can't sign in yet because I'm on my work computer - do we have to select the play in games as well or only the 64? Hoping it's only the 64 because otherwise it might be tough with timing to get them done before the tip off tonight.

I can't sign in yet because I'm on my work computer - do we have to select the play in games as well or only the 64? Hoping it's only the 64 because otherwise it might be tough with timing to get them done before the tip off tonight.

It's just the 64 I'm pretty sure

Archived