R+L=J v. 129

Kat

On the topic of the Tourney of Harrenhal and Rhaegars win, I found another case of Martins "telling a story within a story" like Jorahs, and it happened to Rhaegars own mother, Rhaella and Bonifer Hasty.

"Ser Bonifer and Princess Rhaella Targaryen were infatuated with one another prior to the princess's official betrothal to her brother, Prince Aerys.[6] According to Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Bonifer once wore the princess's favor in a tourney in which he defeated all challengers to name Rhaella his Queen of Love and Beauty.[5]." - Wiki

In almost all these cases, the person of interest is unattatinable. I've always specualated about Rhaellas feelings about what Rhaegar did at the Tourney of Harrenhal and wondered if she wasn't sympathetic no matter how mindful of her own duty she had been.

Nice catch. Rhaella is another figure who is overly silent thus far and whom I'd be interested in learning more about, especially during RR

Lol, I'm sorry.

I think we're seeing Hardhome. It makes more sense to me than Deepwood Motte, given that Jon is part of the battle and Jon would not reasonably fight for Stannis. Also because of the fact that we see Wildlings seemingly fighting Wildlings, and Jon fighting Wildlings.

I could absolutely be wrong, though. They could have changed it to something that we don't know about.

I do wonder what effect (if any) this will have on the Pink Letter situation, though.

With the little bit of Jon-arc that was between Jon escaping Ygritte and her group of wildlings, and Ygritte and co., and Mance and his group attacking (and Stannis saving the day), and the entire season that was between the two events, It´s possible, I suppose, that they take a detour to Hardhome for Jon´s arc. I mean, Jon went to Crasters last season, which was definitly not in the books, so a similar situation could occur here.

I supose it would also sort of depend what Jon´s arc for Winds is... Is he supposed to be dead for long? Be revived/woken up when syncing with another characters arc, and is said character currently behind on this arc? Stuff like that.

On the topic of the Tourney of Harrenhal and Rhaegars win, I found another case of Martins "telling a story within a story" like Jorahs, and it happened to Rhaegars own mother, Rhaella and Bonifer Hasty.

"Ser Bonifer and Princess Rhaella Targaryen were infatuated with one another prior to the princess's official betrothal to her brother, Prince Aerys.[6] According to Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Bonifer once wore the princess's favor in a tourney in which he defeated all challengers to name Rhaella his Queen of Love and Beauty.[5]." - Wiki

In almost all these cases, the person of interest is unattatinable. I've always specualated about Rhaellas feelings about what Rhaegar did at the Tourney of Harrenhal and wondered if she wasn't sympathetic no matter how mindful of her own duty she had been.

With Aerys born in 244 AC, and Rhaella in either 245 or 246, her marriage to Aerys occured at a rather young age.. Rhaegar was born in 259 AC, and depending on when Summerhal occured (and it might have occured later in the year, as Jaehaerys, upon his death in 262 AC, has sat the IT for "scarcely three years"), their marriage took place in 259 AC the latest. Which would have made Rhaella either 14 or 15.

We know that Bonifer put away his lance the day Rhaella and Aerys were married. (I can't find the "official betrothal" part anywhere in the books, though. The source on the wiki is Bonifer Hasty's entry of the app, but as far as I know, his entry doesn's say anything about a betrothal, only about Rhaella's marriage. Perhaps someone is kind enough to check?)

So Rhaella was quite young when she got married, and her "relationship" with Bonifer thus most likely started at a younger age..

Interestingly enough, with Lyanna born in either 266 AC or 267 AC, in 281 AC, she would have been 14 or 15 years old as well..

There's definitely a theme of 'love makes a man invincible' repeated throughout the text.

It would seem so, yes.

Rhaegar was already competing though. And he didn't kidnap Lyanna for another year.

CRAZY THEORY

I feel like looking at the series that jon has been getting a crash course on how fighting about who was born with the right blood or first or etc... is kind of crazy and at least trying to choose the best leader you can is much better from the watch, from the wildlings, and the huge dumb damage done to the realm from the stupid war.

I think jon decide the best way to serve the realm is to stop these dynastic wars for control.

SO it is my idea that the series ends with the nightwatch in charge of the whole realm as sort of the beginnings of a parliament/ modern government and the lord commander jon as the sort of first prime minster for lack of a better word.

this end up being sort of a reverse lord of the rings where the "rightful king" ends the line of kings instead of restoring it to the throne.

What do you think? crazy as fox or just plain crazy

CRAZY THEORY

I feel like looking at the series that jon has been getting a crash course on how fighting about who was born with the right blood or first or etc... is kind of crazy and at least trying to choose the best leader you can is much better from the watch, from the wildlings, and the huge dumb damage done to the realm from the stupid war.

I think jon decide the best way to serve the realm is to stop these dynastic wars for control.

SO it is my idea that the series ends with the nightwatch in charge of the whole realm as sort of the beginnings of a parliament/ modern government and the lord commander jon as the sort of first prime minster for lack of a better word.

this end up being sort of a reverse lord of the rings where the "rightful king" ends the line of kings instead of restoring it to the throne.

What do you think? crazy as fox or just plain crazy

I doubt it.

I could see a few people still insisting "The show is not the books. let's wait and see."

The show is not the books. And coincidentally, the show discussion threads are not the book discussion threads. (Though you'd never know that here in RLJ-land, where apparently anything goes.)

A better question might be: what will happen to these threads if the show reveals RLJ to be incorrect before the books do?

I could see a LOT of people suddenly insisting that "the books are not the show." Of course, there might also be some interesting blowback headed HBO's way from fans of the books...

The show is not the books. And coincidentally, the show discussion threads are not the book discussion threads. (Though you'd never know that here in RLJ-land, where apparently anything goes.)

A better question might be: what will happen to these threads if the show reveals RLJ to be incorrect before the books do?

I could see a LOT of people suddenly insisting that "the books are not the show." Of course, there might also be some interesting blowback headed HBO's way from fans of the books...

The show may not be the books, but it sure as hell is following the main storyline of the books.

If the show confirms or debunks R+L=J, then that's how it's going to be in the books, as well.

Oh, I am 100% sure that the show will reveal us that Jon's mother is Ashara who is not even mentioned there, or a nobody Wylla or FMD, that will be soooo exciting!

Well, it can't be Rhaegar or Lyanna, because they've never been mentioned in the show.

Except about 10-15 times.

But hey, I'm sure the show has mentioned lots of people who died long before the show started that many times.

Right? Right?

Well, it can't be Rhaegar or Lyanna, because they've never been mentioned in the show.

Except about 10-15 times.

But hey, I'm sure the show has mentioned lots of people who died long before the show started that many times.

Right? Right?

IIRC, they mentioned Aerys or Brandon, so here you go two candidates for father, but I don't recall any other woman mentioned, so it's probably that the two of them fathered the child on Lyanna and then got at each other's throat because of paternity tests. That's way more plausible than the ridiculous notion that Oberyn's mention how Rhaegar left Elia for another woman is meant to be somehow important for the narrative, it's there purely for shits and giggles.

IIRC, they mentioned Aerys or Brandon, so here you go two candidates for father, but I don't recall any other woman mentioned, so it's probably that the two of them fathered the child on Lyanna and then got at each other's throat because of paternity tests. That's way more plausible than the ridiculous notion that Oberyn's mention how Rhaegar left Elia for another woman is meant to be somehow important for the narrative, it's there purely for shits and giggles.

But they haven't set up anything!

They haven't said anything at all about Rhaegar running off with Lyanna.

Or Robert starting a war to get her back.

Or Robert killing Rhaegar.

Or Lyanna dying.

Or Ned not telling Jon who his mother was.

Or Robert hating Targaryen children and wanting them dead.

Or Ned refusing to go along with killing Targaryen children.

Nope, none of that is in the show. Nothing. I really don't know how they are going to prove that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna if they don't have any of those really important facts in the show.

Alia, since I think I saw you bring it up in the previous thread? I'm currently rewatching The X-Files, and I just saw 5x09 Schizogeny, and Bloodraven is sitting in it, did you see? :lol:

I just read that they may bring X-Files back in some fashion. Since I don't think there's an X-Files thread and I'm excited I'm posting it here. and cause it's uuuh, symbolic of Jon possibly coming back to life. yeah.

https://deadline.com/2015/01/x-files-reboot-talks-fox-1201352465/

I just read that they may bring X-Files back in some fashion. Since I don't think there's an X-Files thread and I'm excited I'm posting it here. and cause it's uuuh, symbolic of Jon possibly coming back to life. yeah.

https://deadline.com/2015/01/x-files-reboot-talks-fox-1201352465/

Eh, I'm game. I'm fine not rehashing old arguments over and over again at least for a little bit.

Also, I'm not sure how I would feel about a new X-Files. It's biggest draw was that it was edgy and groundbreaking...but TV has changed so much, I'm worried that it would come off as cheesy and dated. We'll see, I guess.

Last season we got oberyn saying to tyrion I believe "before Rhaegar ran off with that other woman"

OBERYN: The last time I was in the capital was many years ago. Another wedding. My sister Elia and Rhaegar Targaryen, the Last Dragon. My sister loved him. She bore his children. Swaddled them, rocked them, fed them at her own breast. Elia wouldn't let the wet nurse touch them. And beautiful, noble Rhaegar Targaryen left her for another woman. That started a war and the war ended right here when your father's army took the city...

We've actually gotten quite a lot of Rhaegar and Lyanna's backstory...the only things we haven't heard about yet are the Tourney at Harrenhall and the Tower of Joy. Probably because they would pretty much give it away. I imagine that we might get some information about those this season, though.

OBERYN: The last time I was in the capital was many years ago. Another wedding. My sister Elia and Rhaegar Targaryen, the Last Dragon. My sister loved him. She bore his children. Swaddled them, rocked them, fed them at her own breast. Elia wouldn't let the wet nurse touch them. And beautiful, noble Rhaegar Targaryen left her for another woman. That started a war and the war ended right here when your father's army took the city...

Yea I didn't know the exact quote but figured it was something along those lines.

Archived