Football XXXI: Mourinho is an Inhumane Monster Edition

MercenaryChef

There is no evidence to say he is. As far as I can see it's a strange desire among some Liverpool fans to create a new Captain Fantastic to try and heal the pain of Gerrard's imminent departure.

There is no footballing reason why Balotelli/Lambert shouldn't be taking penalties over Henderson imo

ETA: Of course, at the end of the day, it's none of my business, it just looks silly to me.

Yeah, Lambert is an excellent penalty taker, the only reason he'd be behind Henderson is because he's not on the pitch much. With the other players you never know because they don't do it much but Allen, Can and Lallana all scored good penalties so you can't argue with that, even Lovren might be good in training.

Having cooled down a bit I don't think you can hold it against Lovren too much, fair play to him, he's stuck his hand up to take a penalty and that takes guts. Besiktas just scored 5 good penalties credit to them. Lovren actually had a pretty good game other than that, it wasn't the defence that was the problem.

I remember when we wouldn't take a short corner, but there was a time, it was when we had RVP and Fabregas in the team, where the former would lay it off about a feet away to Fabregas, before whipping it into the box. They did this for at least half a season, if not longer.

I'm not sure what on earth was going on there.

This is actually a blessing for Liverpool. There is still the FA Cup and, more importantly, the champions league spots to fight for. Not having these Thursday night fixtures should help their cause, in theory at least.

I agree with this.

I thought with Sturridge returning anyway that Liverpool had the next best hope at a top-4 finish but without the distraction of Europe there anymore they really put themselves ahead on paper, neutralising Manchester United's advantage in that regard.

Taking the last penalty (or, perhaps more correctly, the 10th) is always going to be difficult. At that point, you know that a miss is fatal. So the pressure is probably biggest. Lovren offered to take it/was asked to take it, and said yes. Takes guts.

I did feel he would miss it from the moment he put the ball on the spot, though. He didn't place it, he just sort of dropped it on the spot. Seemed he wanted it over and done with as fast as possible. That rarely turns out well.

As for "who should take a penalty", it's really about who's good at it. David Unsworth is the best penalty taker I've seen at Everton. Never doubted him when he went to take one.

Regardless of the surprising losses by Spurs and Liverpool,the result of the week for me is still the Arsenal home loss against Monaco.

Did not see that coming at all. A shocking performance over 90 minutes, and it didn't look like that to me when the game started.

Monaco to me seemed a very comfortable draw and Arsenal seemed sure to advance.

Spurs have also gone out of Europe though and Arsenal (despite my minor optimisms on the subject) are likely going to go soon too, so they've not really gained that advantage over anyone except us and Southampton.

There is no evidence to say he is. As far as I can see it's a strange desire among some Liverpool fans to create a new Captain Fantastic to try and heal the pain of Gerrard's imminent departure.

Suggesting that Lambert isn't one of Liverpool's top three takers is just betraying a lack of knowledge, tbh. Him and Balotelli are clearly the top two and everyone else, even Gerrard, is just fighting for third.

There seems to be a thought at Liverpool that the captain is the primary penalty taker just because this has been the case for years. But obviously that's a nonsensical way to decide it.

Archived