My flag pin collection

Ordos

I have a collection of lapel pins but more than half of all of them are flag pins. I keep the flag pins in a separate compartment from the other pins in the metal box I keep my lapel pin collection in. In total I have 24 flag pins so far. I get them as gifts and through frequent travelling. Online purchasing is impossible because nobody accepts payment from and Indonesian bank account except for sites from Indonesia selling things within Indonesia.

I watch a lot of political news both on TV and online and see politicians wear them all the time and thought 'Hey I want one of those'. And so my collection began.

I wear a different flag pin every day on either my shirt collar or on a jacket when I'm wearing a T-shirt. Every time I put one on I like to think of the things I like about the country I'm representing that day.

I have nothing nice to say about North Korea (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying so). When I wear the flag pin of North Korea, it means I'm depressed. Either I woke up feeling sick, or I had a bad day yesterday (I cannot tell what the day ahead will be like).

I have a Youtube video showing my collection which is among my more frequently watched videos. So I thought I'd talk about my collection here.

Maybe someone here has a nice cuff link collection perhaps?

I love your topic. That's so cool and nerdy, all at once. And believe me, I'm not throwing stones. I have a Pez dispenser collection as well as various owls, and other birds. I also am an avid collector of the bizarre and unusual. I have several doll heads that freak people out, creepy skull, and some awesome wood cuttings. I love kitschy stuff from the 40's and 50's as well.

I tend to have small collections - say three to five - of something I like. For years I've had around four beautiful hand-blown glass paperweights. At one time I had a few elephants in various materials and poses. Don't know where they got off to, though.

I guess the main thing I do collect is costume jewelry. For one, it's useful. I wear it. and for another, if I lose a piece, it's not a calamity like it would be if I lost something really expensive. There are several old name brands that have produced beautiful pieces, like Miriam Haskell. Her jewelry was worn by movie stars. It was all handmade. It's increasingly difficult to find, though. And there's a lot of stuff being passed off as hers. Sometimes people will take broken pieces of her jewelry and concoct a new design from it. You've got to really know your stuff if you want to collect her designs.

Currently, there's several pieces in Betsey Johnson's collections that I really like. I've picked up a few of her pieces on Ebay, and whenever I wear it, I always get people drooling over it and wanting to know where I got it.

I haven't reached hoarder status yet, thank goodness. Collecting can really get out of hand. :)

I come from a long line of hoarders. When I was about ten years old, I started collecting corks because I'd use them as bb gun targets. I had a few thousand of them by the time I was 12 or 13, but I have no idea what ever happened to them. I know I didn't shoot them all to bits.

I've collected baseball cards, ninja turtle action figures, signed books, coins, bonsai trees, plants, reptiles, and records in the past. I don't collect anything now except plants and books, but even my plant collection has been greatly pared down; I remember watching Adaption for the first time and Chris Cooper's character kind of scared me straight.

I do plan on one day having an awesome plant collection. I love checking out botanical gardens and greenhouses anytime I'm travelling. I've always wanted a cycad collection but it'd be too tough to do living in the northeast, I guess I'll have to wait until I relocate somewhere milder.

I got the collecting bug from my mom. She has been a serial-collector of all sorts of stuff - Wade ceramic animals from Red Rose Tea, glass insulators from old power lines, lots of taxidermy, picture frames, old tin ceiling panels, wrought iron, gems, rocks and minerals, old windows, giant stones and rocks, hickory furniture, baskets, early american tools, glass beads, skulls. This made my house a very popular hangout in high school. She's also an artist and for a while she was really into painting water colors of dead animals, so I was always stopping to pick up dead hawks and stuff on the side of the road. She'd keep them in the freezer until she was ready to paint them, I remember unwrapping what I hoped was a burrito only to find it was a hummingbird packed in paper towels and wrapped in tin foil. There's a barred owl still in her freezer that I found stuck in a chimney I was rebuilidng a few years ago (I saw it at thankgsiving).

Ordos, that's cool that you wear one of the pins each day and that it has a meaning to it. I also thought the NK thing was really funny.

I collect little carved gemstone animals, if/when finances allow, I have 6 or so.

I seem to have inadvertently created a vase collection,too; at one time I never had a suitable vase for flowers, but now I have a few!! Mostly coloured swirly glass that I've picked up at auctions when we've been there for other (sensible) things.

Tom collects Whisky decanters. (and fills them)

I don't collect things, mainly because then people start buying you things based on your 'collection' and I prefer to pick things out for myself. I have a thing where my mom sometimes gives me moose things. It's a family thing and I like it because it was from when I was little. A friend found out about it and the story got out and a few others gave me moose things and I began dreading getting them (from anyone but my mom). They were mostly things I would have never picked out myself and it began to diminish the enjoyment I had of even the moose my mom gave me. (I so want to say mooses, but alas)

I have a small plastic tree frog I displayed at work. I liked the shape and colors, but not frogs in general - just this specific one. People decided that I collected frogs and I got a few as gifts. That felt like the most impersonal, shallow thing ever to give me and it just ends up being clutter.

So collections are fine, I get why people like them and whatever gives you joy I am all for. It's just not for me. I prefer to pick out things I like and if it comes to resemble a collection, it's just coincidence.

eta: reading this back, I feel like I am bringing negativity into this thread, which wasn't my intent. I just wanted to talk about why I don't tend towards collections.

I don't collect things, mainly because then people start buying you things based on your 'collection' and I prefer to pick things out for myself. I have a thing where my mom sometimes gives me moose things. It's a family thing and I like it because it was from when I was little. A friend found out about it and the story got out and a few others gave me moose things and I began dreading getting them (from anyone but my mom). They were mostly things I would have never picked out myself and it began to diminish the enjoyment I had of even the moose my mom gave me. (I so want to say mooses, but alas)

I have a small plastic tree frog I displayed at work. I liked the shape and colors, but not frogs in general - just this specific one. People decided that I collected frogs and I got a few as gifts. That felt like the most impersonal, shallow thing ever to give me and it just ends up being clutter.

So collections are fine, I get why people like them and whatever gives you joy I am all for. It's just not for me. I prefer to pick out things I like and if it comes to resemble a collection, it's just coincidence.

eta: reading this back, I feel like I am bringing negativity into this thread, which wasn't my intent. I just wanted to talk about why I don't tend towards collections.

I agree with this

Mine is stuff I've bought personally and haphazardly, there are a lot of gemstone animals I've seen but not wanted; someone else would be unable to tell why and would buy it anyway! Same with the vases.

I love the idea of your pin-collection! That´s awesome.

I kind of collect boxes. I like to throw stuff in there. When they are full I never take anything out again. They are kind of time-capsules with things in it that were important to me.

One box has trashy things in it I got as a child from people who were important to me by the time. My most valuable possesion in it: A golden plastic elephant brooch that is so outrageously ugly it is ridiculous. I remember how I got it from my beloved granny. I still smell her when I look at it.

There is a box with stuff that kind of represents something I achieved when I was a teen: A pin that proves I passed the FN-Test for dressage riding (that one was so important to me), an ugly plastic chain with a missing stone I wore when I met my first love...

The thing is: Nothing in it holds any obvious value but for me every one of them represents an important memory.

Dvds. I can't stop buying them - ai have a problem lol.

i used to collect dragons. Any ornaments of dragons that i could find and afford i bought and i used to draw dragons all the time; everyone knew how much i loved them and people in school would make fun which i didnt understand because dragons are AWESOME???

I would collect more things but i live in a tiny flat and am leaving soon.

id like to collect bones and skulls but only if i came across them myself im not so sure id like to buy bones or skulls from other people as theres no way of knowing how the animal died.

I also collect necklaces and hats. Got quite a few nice hats.

Dvds. I can't stop buying them - ai have a problem lol.

i used to collect dragons. Any ornaments of dragons that i could find and afford i bought and i used to draw dragons all the time; everyone knew how much i loved them and people in school would make fun which i didnt understand because dragons are AWESOME???

I would collect more things but i live in a tiny flat and am leaving soon.

id like to collect bones and skulls but only if i came across them myself im not so sure id like to buy bones or skulls from other people as theres no way of knowing how the animal died.

I also collect necklaces and hats. Got quite a few nice hats.

Theda! =o) Genius.

I also collect hats and caps. And I actually *wear* them. Lately, I wore my bowler. Raised a couple of looks.

And collecting dragons? "Guilty as charged". Still looking for a nice dragon tarot...

Are you looking for any new pins?

All the time. Early in my pin collection I had two incidents where somebody snooped through my stuff and stole several of them. I listed all my stolen pins and vow to replace them. Since I have put my collection in a metal box with a lock and key and hide the box in my room where it's not easily found.

Nice to read of all your collections.

Of the non-flag pins, I have an old 2008 Obama campaign pin. My friends in the States said in the future it will be very valuable.

Theda! =o) Genius.

I also collect hats and caps. And I actually *wear* them. Lately, I wore my bowler. Raised a couple of looks.

And collecting dragons? "Guilty as charged". Still looking for a nice dragon tarot...

/hi5 !

I think theres a box in my parents attic with all my old dragon ornaments.

I do love hats though; some of my friends joke about it and call me Sian Hats

/hi5 !

I think theres a box in my parents attic with all my old dragon ornaments.

I do love hats though; some of my friends joke about it and call me Sian Hats

^5 (high five)

That's cool. Really.

Hats are the best! I had a reputation for wearing hats at all times during High School, but eventually it was decided that I should start getting real haircut and the hat faze was a thing of the past. I still have a lot of hats though, and particularly like having ones from different cultures - I got a Fez last year :D

A fez? Lucky you. =o)

All the time. Early in my pin collection I had two incidents where somebody snooped through my stuff and stole several of them. I listed all my stolen pins and vow to replace them. Since I have put my collection in a metal box with a lock and key and hide the box in my room where it's not easily found.

Do you have any examples of national flags you're missing?

I believe I have a pin with the Lithuanian flag and CoA somwhere.

Archived